English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: De La Hoya Says No 147 For Canelo Against Mayweather

De La Hoya Says No 147 For Canelo Against Mayweather

Oscar De La Hoya told TSS that he's with the rest of the boxing world, that he'd like to see Floyd Mayweather glove up against Canelo Alvarez in his next fight, in September.
    I asked Oscar (seen on right, with Canelo before Austin Trout fight, in Gene Blevins-Showtime photo above) this afternoon what the latest is on negotiations to make a scrap between the pound for pound ace and the Mexican phenom Canelo. Will it happen?
    "I hope so, it's a fight the whole world wants to watch," he said in a phoner, after we talked about his trip to the TV upfronts in NYC. "If anyone can do it, it's Golden Boy."
    And what of the talk of a catchweight, we heard Floyd Sr is saying that fight would have to take place at 147, and Richard Schaefer indicated that's BS....
    "Floyd Junior is a competitor, he wants the best," he said. "I don't see an issue of not making it at 154."
    But, if Team Mayweather said it's 147, or no deal, would and could Canelo make 147? "No, no, his legs are so thick, his neck is so thick," Oscar said.
    Even making 152 would be a stretch, he said.
    He does expect Canelo to stick around junior middleweight for awhile, though, and said that he doesn't see him jumping to 160 in the near future.
    Readers, I want your take. Should Floyd ask Canelo, who is a light heavyweight on fight night, to make 147? Will he? Or will Money take the bout at 154? That'd make sense, considering some of the guff he's given Manny Pacquiao for doing catchweights, right? Weigh in, in our Forum.

Advanced Users

Re: De La Hoya Says No 147 For Canelo Against Mayweather

That is his way of getting out of the fight. Bottomline! Dude and Big Money O want no parts of Money May until -- maybe -- 2015. As of now, the red-headed hype couldn't wear either Money May's money belt or jock strap. Holla!

deepwater

an all time great would accept the challenge and seal his legacy. a cherry picker would use weight as an excuse and ditch the fight. floyd can retire 50 -0 but wont get recognition ,ever. a guy at work just reminded me of all the fight parties we used to have ,for chavez,trinidad,dlh,roy jones. i asked him if he evr has any fight parties around floyd, response was no, no excitment. also just watched max baer fights. no way klitcho beats that crazy man

deepwater

here is an example of an all time great taking risk and coming out like the champion that he is. I will also say here right now that in 5o years people will be admiring and talking about hopkins legacy with pride. floyds legacy will be tainted and always with a mention of cherry picking clown. tye fields and paul spadafora had/have better records then floyd.

Antonio Tarver vs. Bernard Hopkins
    CompuBox Punchstats
    Total Punches Hopkins Tarver
    Landed 133 78
    Thrown 417 437
    Pct. 32% 18%
    Power Punches Hopkins Tarver
    Landed 126 48
    Thrown 343 211
    Pct. 37% 23%
    Jabs Hopkins Tarver
    Landed 7 30
    Thrown 74 226
    Pct. 9% 13%
    2006-06-10 : Antonio Tarver 174 lbs lost to Bernard Hopkins 174 lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
    Referee: Benjy Esteves Jr.
    Judge: John Coyle 109-118
    Judge: Clark Sammartino 109-118
    Judge: Al Bennett 109-118
    International Boxing Organization Light Heavyweight Title (Tarver defending)
    National Boxing Association Light Heavyweight Title (Tarver defending)
    Promoters: Golden Boy Promotions, Star Boxing
    Ring Announcer: Michael Buffer
    Aired On: HBO Pay-Per-View (Main Event)

Notes

Tarver was a 3 to 1 favorite.
    Hopkins was guaranteed $5 million and Tarver was guaranteed $3.5 million.
    Tarver had to lose more than 40 pounds to get down to 175 after playing the fictional heavyweight champion in the film Rocky Balboa.
    There was a crowd of 10,200 at Boardwalk Hall.
    Tarver was ruled down in round five when his left glove supposedly touched the canvas after a Hopkins right. However, a video replay proved inconclusive as to whether or not the glove actually touched.
    Tarver lost a $250,000 bet with Hopkins after he failed to stop him within five rounds. The money went to Hopkins' Make A Way Foundation.
    Tarver's right eye was nearly swollen shut.
    Hopkins won The Ring Magazine World Light Heavyweight Title.
    The fight generated 330,000 pay-per-view buys and $16.5 million in pay-per-view revenue.
    Tarver later said he thought he might have been drugged before the fight.
    Unofficial ESPN Scorecard: 118-109 Hopkins.

I love Hopkins.
    At 48 he just fought a 31 year old young lion with a belt.

At 36 Floyd is trying to get the 154 champ who has not fought at

147 in 3 years to come down and drain himself.

After degrading PAC for catch weights and doing it himself with jmm,

That's some bullshit.

Floyd just fought at 154 2 fights ago and has a belt at 154.

So what's the problem?

Why is Floyd always looking for a way out?

Why is he always avoiding a challenge?

I think everyone should boycott Floyd with his 32 million dollar payday to not be exciting.

And I'm a huge fan of the sweet science. Hopkins last fight was more exciting than Floyd's.

Floyd wants all the advantages even when he would otherwise be favored any way. As Frank L. said the guy doesn't have as much faith in himself as everyone else does. But after he beats guys that you would expect him to he still wants the love. When was the last time you felt nervous before one of his fights? Al Haymon and Mayweather are risk adverse. So far that has been rewarded.

Well DaveB at this point it's a bit embarrassing.

Floyd has a belt at 154 and is asking a guy with a belt at 154 to drain himself.

Canelo doesn't have enough stamina for 12 rounds at 154

let alone 147.

always looking for an easy way out of a great fight... he waits till they are old,lighter weights moving up and old or when they are ready to retire and their best is behind them.. i have no respect for floyd, he could of been really great ,to late now,who know how good he could of been by challenging himself

All of y'all talking crazy!! y'all didn't have a problem with ODH calling all the shots when he fought Mayweather. He picked the size of the ring, the gloves, & the weight . I didn't here y'all saying anything about Pac and all of his catch weight demands hypocrits