English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carl Froch Wins UD Over Mikkel Kessler in London

Carl Froch Wins UD Over Mikkel Kessler in London

Carl Froch did the same thing in this rematch that he did in his first scrap with Mikkel Kessler: he threw more punches than the Dane. This time, the judges rewarded his efforts. The Brit Froch, who kept Kessler from getting untracked with a persistent jab, won by scores of 118-110, 116-112, 115-113 in the main event at O2 Arena in London on Saturday night, and on HBO.
    Things got a tad hairy late, when Kessler went for broke in 11 and 12, but Froch's beard didn't betray him.
    According to CompuBox, Froch went 261-1034 to 194-497 for the loser. Froch had better luck in the power punch department, 135-90.
    The IBF super middle champ Froch (turns 36 in July; 30-2 with 22 KOs entering) was 167.9 pounds, while the WBA super middle champ Kessler (46-2 with 35 KOs; age 34) was 166.74 on Friday.
    The two men had battled in 2010, with Kessler winning that one, via decision, on his home turf. They are actually phone friends, and chat on their cells every so often, but no one figured that would diminish their eagerness. For the record, Froch threw 961 to 682 punches in the first scrap.
    Froch was making the second defense of the crown he took when he mugged Lucian Bute in May 2012. Kessler was on a four-fight winning streak, with his last loss coming in 2009, against Andre Ward.
    Ward, who has wins over both, helped Jim Lampley call the bout, along with Max Kellerman.
    In the first, Froch maybe stole the round with two rights late. He jabbed a bunch, not overly effectively while Kessler wasn't that busy.
    In the second, a one-two slightly buzzed Kessler at 1:10.
    In the third, Kess went with left and rights to the body but again wasn't busy enough. Again, the jab from Froch was persistent. It wasn't all that sharp but it was ever-present. Kessler's face was a bit marked, his forehead, his right eye.
    In the fourth, the slow starting Kessler still didn't get untracked, not until the last third. Then his jab was a bit stiffer and came more frequently. In the fifth, a right got to Froch. He stepped it up in response to be the busier man in the last two thirds. Kess outlanded him 15-14 in the round.
    In the sixth, a left went low and the ref spoke to Kessler. Froch took a breather. He collected himself and again was busier. No flashy power shots but just being the harder worker. A sharp left hook maybe gave the round to Kessler. Harold Lederman had it 4-2 Froch.
    In round seven, a right scored for Froch. He held a bit and Froch stepped it up. In the eighth, a clean right at 2:05 scored for Froch. Four or so more clean blows then smacked Kessler, who looked like he might be caving. He landed a few of his own sharp blows, though.
    In the ninth, the Froch jab was the signature punch. Both scored a couple power shots, but Froch's looked a bit more telling. In the 10th, Froch kept the distance and pace he wanted, with his jab. In the 11th, rights buzzed Froch, for real. He looked precarious but held his legs. In the 12th, both men landed clean shots in a really stellar round. The ref almost pulled the plug on Kess late. We went to the cards.

Re: Carl Froch Wins UD Over Mikkel Kessler in London

Good job by Froch. Kessler waited on him too much and Froch seemed most of the time to be in control. Well earned victory by Froch. If they do a rubber match I think the result would be the same. I can't say I wouldn't watch though because a fight between these two will always be entertaining.

Advanced Users

Good fight! I agreed with what DaveG -- I mean DaveB -- said. My score was 117-111 for the Redcoat Cobra. Holla!

Oh no. The Redcoat Cobra. That's a good one. LMBO!!!

Kudos to Froch - great chin, great mentality, good jab. And below average allround skills with poor coordination. He's good when fighting at the preferred distance, as well as upholding that distance. A cool cat can always time him when he rushes forward on those stiff legs, but his amazing chin equals that out a bit. Kessler can crack, and would have put most supermiddleweights out with some of those shots. And since Kessler was nowhere near his prime, this win also tells the tale of Frochs limitations. Not much left for him out there, except trying to lure an american to England for a big payday or two. Both Ward and Hopkins will slice him with pinpoint accuracy and the ability to negate his few strengths.

Grim is correct.

Although I only caught a few rounds as I was on the grill I saw the same

things I always see in froch.

A tough guy,

But one who is uncoordinated , slow hands, slower feet, uses no no angles ,

comes straight forward , as who drops his right hand when throwing anything with the left.

Ward would on e again box his ears off all day.

Hopkins needs to get froch at lhw ASAP because he will chop his *** up

as well.

Froch is tough and he is a good fighter.

But he has no fundamentals and lacks skills.

Floyd should move up and fight him coming in at 152 because he would even smoke him.

yep...slow hands and feet ....telegraphed punches..nice jab..but it seems only the most elite boxers can keep from getting steamed rolled by him ...another round or two and kessler would have been out of there ...Froch did get hit cleanly a few times but had enough defense to roll or partially block most of kesslers blows and the chin to withstand anything else...and continue forward constant pressure ...good fight ..never boring

Agree with all of the above. A fantastic win for Carl who has earned the right to fight Ward again the old fashioned way - by beating top guys (Bute and Kessler). Sadly, even as a Brit I can't see the rematch being a hell of a lot different, but it needs to happen, and happen in the UK. Ward can then close the book on the Super 6 era and also prove he can win away from home. Remember a lot of guys lost their 0s fighting away from home in the Super 6. Somehow Ward never left the US in the Super6, he now has the opponent and purse to justify dusting off his passport. Who else is there for him to fight? It would draw 30,000 fans in the UK and he must be confident of winning. Please God it happens because I don't want to see Froch v Hopkins!

Advanced Users

I think that the Redcoat Cobra and the Bluecoat SOG should fight in a neutral place. Maybe Germany or Canada. Holla!

Pretty much as expected. Kesslers face held up better than I thought it would. Looked like Froch was gonna get the stoppage in the last round. I agree with everyone that Ward wins the rematch easy. It would be more interesting if the fight was in London but it will still be one sided. Froch is wide open for a straight right all the time. GGG or Hopkins would be good fights. I wonder if Froch could gut his way through those two men. I didn't see Rachel one time. Was she even there? I hope they didn't split up. My only disapointment from last night.