English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Johnathon Banks Had An "Off Night," Promoter Explains

Johnathon Banks Had An "Off Night," Promoter Explains

Promoter Tom Loeffler was in NYC for the final presser ahead of Saturday's clash pitting his guy, Gennady Golovkin, against Matthew Macklin. At the steakhouse Gallagher's, I asked Loeffler to weigh in on the performance last Saturday night at Barclays Center by his heavyweight, Johnathon Banks. I was there, and it wasn't stellar. The crowd in Brooklyn booed Banks and foe Seth Mitchell pretty viciously, for coasting during long stretches of the fight. I asked Loeffler what was up with Banks.
    He said that while Team Banks didn't want to use it as an excuse, the boxer hurt both his hands, and that affected him mightily. "But it was an off night," he said. "And we have to give Seth credit."
    Indeed, Mitchell (on right, vs. Banks, left, at Barclays) was coming off a TKO loss to Banks, back in November, so he did what he thought he needed to do to 1) stay off his back and 2) win. No, it didn't make for a fan-friendly show, and his hesitance, combined with Banks' strange reticence, made it appear that at times, neither man was giving full effort. As fans, all we can properly do is ask that the people we pay to see perform give their best effort, and if they don't, then I think paying customers have grounds for complaint. They don't, however, in my opinion, have grounds for asserting or insinuating that Banks threw the fight. I've seen that theory floated on the Net, and please, that's not fair to Banks or the game to casually throw that out there. Never mind, I don't see how or why someone starts off OK, and looks to hurt and stop his foe, as Banks did...and only then goes on cruise control, to drop a decision. Would the bet have been EITHER KO win before three, OR decision loss?
    Loeffler said fractured knuckles, one on each hand, which occured in round one and two, made Banks unable to commit to his shots. "Like most boxers, he does have a higher tolerance to pain than us, but it didn't help during the fight," he said. "I don't think it was a matter of him not wanting it, wanting to win. But he couldn't explain it. He just had an off night."
    I asked if it indicated that his heart isn't in it, that he'd rather just train Wladimir Klitschko, rather than glove up himself. "No, Banks is one of the most mentally strong guys I know," Loeffler said. "He's not afraid of success. He still wants to fight."
    Many eyes will be on him in his next fight, to see if that is so. Not as many eyes as would have been on him if he'd stopped Mitchell again, and kept up the momentum from that statement fight, however...
    Loeffler also offered an update on what's next for Vitali Klitschko. The WBC heavyweight champion, he said, is counting down to a July 22 purse bid, to hash out terms to make a fight with his "mandatory," Bermane Stiverne. Stiverne beat Cris Arreola for the right to meet Vitali, and his promoter, Don King, will co-promote the bout-in-the-works. Will a deal be hashed out before July 22, or will it go to purse bid, I asked.
    "Fifty-fifty," Loeffler answered.

deepwater

Re: Johnathon Banks Had An "Off Night," Promoter Explains

Fixed fight. Banks coulda stopped glass joe mitchel at any point that's why he had to stop throwing punches all together . Step aside money at work. the shadow needs mitchel to throw away to wilder or even klitco because klitco wouldn't fight his trainer now would he. Again this fight was fixed , too bad no writer will investigate because you know why. The steak at gallagers is the best thing about this article/ press release/ sorry explanation by promoter. One last time the fight was fixed .

admin

How do you know it was fixed? Ur gut tells you that? Or you have evidence?

Quote Originally Posted by deepwater View Post
    Fixed fight. Banks coulda stopped glass joe mitchel at any point that's why he had to stop throwing punches all together . Step aside money at work. the shadow needs mitchel to throw away to wilder or even klitco because klitco wouldn't fight his trainer now would he. Again this fight was fixed , too bad no writer will investigate because you know why. The steak at gallagers is the best thing about this article/ press release/ sorry explanation by promoter. One last time the fight was fixed .

deepwater

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    How do you know it was fixed? Ur gut tells you that? Or you have evidence?
    When d wilder fights Mitchell and knocks him out with a windmill punch then it will plain to see. My mind and my eyes and my experience tells me this. I was around Briggs for a long time and know the chess moves and step aside promises are a part of boxing whether you want to admit it or not. Wilder sux and he needs a soft opponant to move ahead . The shadow wants a heavyweight champ ,and his chips are all in on dw. You know that was a bs excuse and I understand you can't make accusations without hurting your business but you sure can dig around a bit more. Mitchell vs klitco or Mitchell vs dw. There will be no trilogy .

Advanced Users

Whup-arse interwishin is my call, Editor Mike. Something was up! "The shadow" and his deep pockets were lerking. I'm riding with Deepwater. The fixed was difinitely in with a payoff or an off personality.

Where is Doc Mortcola! He is a shrink, and TSS [Readers] Universe's boxing-shrink expert. He can tell you that some people have co-dependent weak-minded troubles and personality problems where they will let a favorite fighter win because the powers that be want/wanted it that way, and the aim-to-please-you fighter is so co-dependent and want to satisfy.

Besides anybody who has ever boxed or played in any sport, can you tell you that there are weak-minded co-dependent athletes who throw fights and games to satisfy the betting favorite and/or house love protagonist.

The game is full of optical illusions and is "The threatre of the unexpected" for a BIG, BIG reason. A lot of time, nothing is really as it appears. Holla!.

Off night?

Dude didn't throw any punches.

He didn't do anything.

An off night is when your are trying and things are not going right.

Dude did not try

I was hollering at banks asking him why he sit throwing punches for 9 rounds
    Last edited by amayseng; 06-27-2013 at 04:25 PM.

deepwater

Yup Radam , you know the game inside and out , especially the behind the scenes schemes and tricks.

deepwater

Quote Originally Posted by amayseng View Post
    Off night?

Dude didn't throw any punches.

He didn't do anything.

An of night is when your are trying and things are going right.

Dude did not try

I was hollering at banks asking him why he sit throwing punches for 9 rounds
    even the ref didn't want to touch Mitchell because he might of knocked him down. Lennox Lewis called it the politricks of boxing

deepwater

Broken hands? Release a phoney dr report or bilateral X-rays of the hand, which metacarpals were broken? Was it hairline fracture? Compound fracture ? Any ligaments torn or disrupted? Stress fractures then? Is the 8 bones of the wrist disrupted? How bout a scaphoid lunate ligament detachement at the base of the thumb? In that case only an MRI would show that . Release a report, X-ray, and/ or MRI results or else it's bs . Not hard to get a quack to make some stuff up, at least do that.

I agree with you guys, every time Banks touched Mitchell clean he had him hurt. Is the black hand you all referring to Al Haymon?