English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "I Wouldn't Be Surprised If Pacquiao OR Rios Wins By Knockout"

"I Wouldn't Be Surprised If Pacquiao OR Rios Wins By Knockout"

Paul Malignaggi has gotten good reviews as an analyst for Showtime. I asked the Brooklyn-bred boxer, who is still licking his wounds from a split decision loss to Adrien Broner on June 22, still thinking in his mind what he might have done differently to sway the judge who gave it to Broner, 115-113, to switch gears and assess one particular fight coming up in the near future.
    What will happen in the Manny Pacquiao-Brandon Rios faceoff, which sees Pacman (pictured above, in Chris Farina-Top Rank photo)seeking to right his ship, get a much needed win while testing a chin that could be fatally compromised after being checked last December by Juan Manuel Marquez?
    "For however long it lasts it should be a good fight," Malignaggi told me. "Both Pacquiao and Rios can knock each other out. Bam Bam can punch pretty hard."
    I wondered if Rios and Malignaggi had ever sparred and the answer is no, for the record.
    "I do worry a bit about Rios that guys that use their legs against him gets him a little out of his element," he continued. "But I expect an entire camp working on cutting the ring off, using good aggressive footwork, will pay off. Sometimes people think only a guy going backwards needs good footwork. But you need it going forward too. I expect at camp for Rios to get at that. He needs good footwork to come forward against a skilled guy like Manny. Manny goes in and out. Alvarado gave Rios problems with movement and Pacquiao will be a better mover than Alvarado. You don't want Pacquiao to dictate the pace of when he fights, you went to get at him during times when he's looking to rest after a combo, get on him, force the pace.

"A lot of times a boxer wants to choose when to rest, you take that option away, you make him uncomfortable, and when those doubts creep in anything is possible. Bam Bam needs to create those mental doubts in Pacquiao, if not early then midway through the fight."
    And who wins the Nov. 23 clash between the 34-year-old Pacman, with the 54-5-2 record, and the 27-year-old Texas native who lives in California, and boasts a 31-1-1 mark?
    "I lean a little bit towards Pacquiao," Malignaggi said. "If Pacquiao knocks Rios out I wouldn't be surprised. But I wouldn't be surprised if the fight ended in a knockout for either guy. They are both dynamite punchers who get hit.
    Let's go with Pacman, a 55-45% edge to win."

Advanced Users

Re: "I Wouldn't Be Surprised If Pacquiao OR Rios Wins By Knockout"

I "go with Pacman," 100-0% edge to win." There will be no more [Hulkquez] hitting the lotto shot against Da Manny. Bam Bam is going to get cut up. He will not be "cutting off the ring." On his noggin and torso, Da Manny's shots will SING! SING! SING! Look that up on Bing. I will be in Macao with my cousins -- the twins -- Ging and Ming. I'm going to even sit by my girl pal Ling-Ling. And on this trip, I will not be able to use ding-a-ling! Hehehehehe!

If I could be the Roast in China, I would be single. Then with all da dames, damsels and dolls, I would be able to mingle. Holla!
    Last edited by Radam G; 07-19-2013 at 02:51 PM.

I wouldn't be either, but I think Manny will stop him late. But Paulie makes a good point, Rios should def work on his footwork so is not a predictable straight forward moving target like majority of manny's opponents at welterweight. Regardless, I am excited for this fight

Rios doesn't have footwork for a reason. He cuts too much gains too much an is flat footed and heavy.
    Cut the ring off?????
    Hahahaha.
    There will be no chasing PAC.

PAC will destroy rios, absolutely punish rios for 4 rounds until he is knocked out or stopped.
    Don't be surprised of a first round knockdown and ko.

yup....if manny is anywhere near form bam bam will look deformed

I just spoke to Robert Garcia for an hour at fnf last Friday...I think to be honest it is going to be a war..I really can't call it but if PAC is near his old form it could be a quick night for bam bam

People fail to remember that Pacquiao is a SOLID boxer as well as puncher and brawler. He is patient, and can draw fights out to late stoppages

You know, Im not so sure of this fight! Manny supposedly stepped up his observance of his religion big time! Maybe it made him more placid! The knockout was a big one he absorbed not many come back from that! Before the Bradley fight Manny came out with a statement against gay marriage and he refused to retract his statements! He got a lot of heat about that! Add 2 and 2! It was a brave statement because no one else would do it!

this will be a massacre ,rios gets destroyed,made to order for a returning pac..

Advanced Users

And Da Manny never "came out with a statement against gay marriage," thus he didn't need to "retract his statements" of anything.

It is a BIG MYTH that not many fighters come back from a devastating knockout. The truth is that the largest percentage of them do. Tons of fighters have done that jive. Some like Terry Norris and Bobby Chacon over and over again.

Fighters that were hypes, spoon-feeds and set-ups from the start are who you are hollering about B-Camp. Just peep at the heavies and you will clearly see: Louis, Walcott, Patterson, Johnson, Tyson, Lewis and Doc K all came back from kayos.

Talking heads and scribes and hating pundits are just selling you syet. Research, learn and know before you crow for yourself. Holla!