English Español
Advertisement

Thread: Boxing in Thailand - Questions, questions...

Boxing in Thailand - Questions, questions...

Hey folks. I was wondering if anyone out there could maybe help answer a few questions about boxing in Thailand, specifically help with the naming conventions the thai fighters use.

Here is an example:

Take a look at the card from July 10th, 2013 at the Siam Paradise Entertainment Center in Thailand.

Petch Sor Chitpattana W Roman Canto

Knockout CP Freshmart W Bimbo Nacionales

Morakote Patanakan Gym W Farshid Savari

Petchchumpol Sor Visetkit W Kongdech Twingym

Phompetch Twins Gym W Petchnamchai Jittigym

Take the last fight. Phompetch is likely representing or sponsored by Twins Gym, so he uses it as part of his name. Is Phompetch a first name or last name, or could it be a nickname?

The second fight from the top has a guy named Knockout CP Freshmart. That has no semblance of a name in it. His opponent is Bimbo Nacionales. Where I come from, Bimbo is a supermarket chain, but could bimbo be his real name?

The next question is, how often do these fighters switch gyms and or get different sponsors? Will they switch names as they switch sponsors? Can I count on Phomphenk Cp Freshmart to be the same guy as Phomphenk Jittigym if I were creating a list?

It is interesting in that this has a boxing correlation to the turn of the last century, 1900, where it was commonplace to use nicknames such as Kid, Young or Battling with a surname. That era also produced complete nicknames, such as men fighting under iconic names like Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth or Patsy Kline Cline Klein. To understand all the nuances that come with a name like Ty Cobb, a person raised in Thailand just wouldn't get it. Just like Im sure Im missing stuff with the thai fighters.

Petch Sor Chitpattana is the first fighter listed. That name has no english in it to understand, it appears a name in the thai language. But could 'Chitpattana' be like 'Good Year'? We are gonna need some help here, any insight is appreciated.

Advanced Users

Re: Boxing in Thailand - Questions, questions...

@Miguel, fighters in Asia do indeed fight under gym names, supermarket names, a caretaker's name and/or sponsor's names. And yes! Often the names of the boxers will change because of going to a new gym or sponsor or the fighter just decides to use his own name or a name of a famous relative or person. Fighters also use their ethnicity and tribal names. Holla!

Yes I knew some of that, lol! The tribal/ethnicity thing is a twist I hadn't even thought of, but your obviously right.

Are the commissions or governing bodies in thailand even capable of keeping this stuff straight? How do they prevent a guy with 20 fights from using a new name and getting a clean slate?

Advanced Users

It is all about money. They don't care which name what guy uses. The shows must go on and the pay to play. The game of boxing is seedy everywhere. This is why you can never be sure what a fighter's record really is. 2KBattery Rintin can be undefeated 7-0. But under the name Chue Chow Liu, he can be 0-7. Holla!

Advanced Users

I once kayoed the same guy from Thailand in three different bouts: In Olongapo City, Philippines; Tokyo, Japan and Seoul, South Korea in the same round -- the third -- in his different names. Then another time, WTF! I once fought identical Thai twin, who were the exact same size in every department. These muthadouble takes even used the same boxing pseudonym.

Nothing surprises me anymore in "The threatre of the unexpected." Holla!

Radam is correct. He KOed the same man using three different names. My research shows the names Sum Ting Wong, Ho Lee Fuk, and Bang Dam Ow. All KOed by Fists Rapido.

Advanced Users

Hehehehehe! You are a superstar comic, the Roast. Hahaha! Holla!

Yeah I was afraid it was going to be bad news for someone collecting data. Im going to need a thai person who speaks fluent english but has spent the last 20 years studying the thai boxing scene. Yeah right.........