English Español
Advertisement

Thread: What makes Lennox Lewis great?

What makes Lennox Lewis great?

I took a look at Lennox Lewis to figure out how this clumsy guy could be so good. He wasn't that fast, people say he had no chin (which wasn't really true), and he didn't really look to be that spectacular.

So I looked closely.

IMO, his superiority doesn't come down to power, speed or size. Instead I think it comes down to a few very important factors:

Awareness and anticipation: Seeing openings and taking advantage of them in a split second. When there was an opening, Lewis would strike as soon as it was available. He nailed Klitschko and Mike Tyson with sick uppercuts, KO'd Tommy Morrison and Razor Ruddock and many more by striking in a split second.

Of course, world class timing is an important factor of that equation.

HE also had good eyes and processed things very fast in the ring, which would help him outthink his opponents while peppering them with his jab.

Do you guys have any thoughts? I'd like to hear them. What made Lennox Lewis so great?

Re: What makes Lennox Lewis great?

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    I took a look at Lennox Lewis to figure out how this clumsy guy could be so good. He wasn't that fast, people say he had no chin (which wasn't really true), and he didn't really look to be that spectacular.

So I looked closely.

IMO, his superiority doesn't come down to power, speed or size. Instead I think it comes down to a few very important factors:

Awareness and anticipation: Seeing openings and taking advantage of them in a split second. When there was an opening, Lewis would strike as soon as it was available. He nailed Klitschko and Mike Tyson with sick uppercuts, KO'd Tommy Morrison and Razor Ruddock and many more by striking in a split second.

Of course, world class timing is an important factor of that equation.

HE also had good eyes and processed things very fast in the ring, which would help him outthink his opponents while peppering them with his jab.

Do you guys have any thoughts? I'd like to hear them. What made Lennox Lewis so great?
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ***** a big man who had the physical dexterity of a 200 pounder who could box, punch, and fight if necessary. and most importantly come back strong after defeat which was one of his greatest attributes. But I must say good management and picking the right "time" to fight certain opponents like Tyson and Holy contributed to his legacy... plus the fact that Bowe stayed away from Lennox his whole career, probably due to the thrashing he got in the Olympics. I never cared for Lennox while he was active and was rooting for him to get beat in every fight.. especially the Tua fight. I've said for years that he was Lucky,.. a fraud, a hype job, But after a decade or so goes by and you see his whole body of work, I can't deny that within the microcosm of his era, (which was a whole lot tougher than the current era) Lennox was a damn good fighter.

Re: What makes Lennox Lewis great?

LL shares two things with current king Wladimir K: utilizing size and spatial awareness.

The size would be a negative factor, but both men has/have managed to maximize their technique in accordance to what is pshysically possible given their size, and made it a + factor.

LL:s spatial awareness comes under the umbrella of ring generalship, and is related to "awareness and anticipation": its about always being at the right distance, in the right place, + maneuvering the opponent to what would be distance and place at his disadvantage, and it demands a certain cognitive dimension that some seems to lack.

Oh, and they both like to play chess.