English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brian Vera robbed in boxing travesty

Brian Vera robbed in boxing travesty

Just a few moments ago, Brian Vera experienced the ugly side of boxing firsthand as he was robbed against spoiled brat Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. in yet another bad decision for boxing.

Chavez, who wiggled his way out of the contracted weight --- first set at 160, then 162, 165, 168, and, finally 173 a few days ago -- appeared about 30 pounds heavier than his opponent on fight night.

Despite the disadvantage, Vera displayed massive grit and heart as he consistently outworked Chavez, who was coming off his WBC middleweight championship defeat against champion Sergio Martinez.

"Everybody knows I won," an angry Vera told HBO play-by-play man Jim Lampley. "Come on, man."

The decision is the latest in a year filled with judging travesties. Just a few weeks ago, pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. saw his masterpiece against Mexican heartthrob Saul Alvarez spoiled by inept/corrupt judge CJ Ross who inexplicably scored the mismatch a draw.

Ross is the same judge who just last year robbed Filipino sensation Manny Pacquiao of a victory against Tim Bradley in bout most observers scored 11-1 for Pacquiao.

The corrupt/inept judges saw the bout 96-94, 97-93, 98-92 in favor of Chavez. HBO scored it 96-94 for Vera in what also seemed fairly generous to the son of the Mexican icon.

The bigger man Chavez seemed happy to play counterpuncher to Vera's come-forward strategy. Except for a few heavy shots -- undoubtedly attributed to the weight advantage -- that visibly rocked Vera, Chavez found himself outhustled in a bout designed to bring Chavez back into the spotlight after a 12-month layoff.

"This was supposed to be a tune-up for Chavez. Vera obviously didn't get the memo," HBO analyst and super middleweight champ Andre Ward said. "Brian Vera came to win."

Working behind effective aggressiveness sprinkled with volume punching, Vera consistently outworked Chavez who seemed hampered by what appeared to be at least a 20-pound weight cut prior to the weigh-in.

The drama in the fight heightened as the slugfest-prone Vera struggled to move his head and keep his hands up in the pursuit of exchanges.

As the rounds wore on, and the effects on the excessive weight cut tore into Chavez, the former 160-titlist was visibly distraught, complaining about non low blows while a determined Vera continued punching.

Sensing desperation, the Chavez corner implored their golden goose to pick up the pace. "You're behind, Julio," father Julio Cesar Chavez Sr. said.

By the last stanza, Vera threw his hands in the air, the clear victory seemingly in hand.

Unfortunately, boxing did what boxing does -- reward the cash cow and screw the designated jobber royally.

"I saw some things going on around the ring," said Ward's trainer Virgil Hunter, who was on hand for junior welterweight prospect Karim Mayfield's bout on the untelevised portion of the undercard. "I don't even wanna discuss it. Made me wanna puke."

The 2011 Trainer of the Year expressed strong suspicion about the legitimacy of the scoring process.

"I saw some people standing over the judges. It was unbelievable to me. I don't wanna discuss it. I don't want to get into that, because I'm in the sport. My heart goes out to Brian Vera."

Much like Chavez' eye, the eyes of boxing suffered another black one in the wake of yet another scoring travesty.
    Last edited by The Shadow; 09-29-2013 at 08:00 PM.

Administrator

Re: Brian Vera robbed in boxing travesty

Fella can write.

Quote Originally Posted by dino da vinci View Post
    Fella can write.
    Yep, Nice work Shadow. Vera outhustled Silver Spoon Jr. The Name fighter was breathing through his mouth by the 4th round. He figured all he had to do was show up. Brian Vera had other plans. Too bad Vera got the shaft. I doubt Jr will give Vera a rematch but hopefully Vera will get a big payday in his next fight. These horrible decisions happen too many happens in boxing for me to be even moderatly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by the Roast View Post
    Yep, Nice work Shadow. Vera outhustled Silver Spoon Jr. The Name fighter was breathing through his mouth by the 4th round. He figured all he had to do was show up. Brian Vera had other plans. Too bad Vera got the shaft. I doubt Jr will give Vera a rematch but hopefully Vera will get a big payday in his next fight. These horrible decisions happen too many happens in boxing for me to be even moderatly surprised.
    Thanks, guys.

I think he might get another decent money fight. Wouldn't be shocked to see him against a Darren Barker. His handlers probably figure they can outbox him. Or maybe even a Sergio Martinez in a comeback bout!

What do you guys think?

Jcc JR is a crying complaining pussy who got a gift decision. Loved when Lou Moret told him to quit crying in the fith and fght. Lmfao

I updated it. Look at the quotes from Virgil Hunter.

Good insider view Shadow...nice write up.

Thank you, Shad'.

Only thing worse than the decision was JCC Jr.'s obnoxious demeanor. Color me an un-fan.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPaul View Post
    Jcc JR is a crying complaining pussy who got a gift decision. Loved when Lou Moret told him to quit crying in the fith and fght. Lmfao
    this sums it up perfectly...
    best post on the subject.....

haha

Quote Originally Posted by Hop View Post
    Thank you, Shad'.

Only thing worse than the decision was JCC Jr.'s obnoxious demeanor. Color me an un-fan.
    I became a huge Chavez fan last year after his rally vs the Champ. After last night, I'm no longer that. And I think a lot of people feel the same way.