English Español
Advertisement

Thread: The True (and Simplified) History of the Mayweather-Pacquiao Non-Fight

The True (and Simplified) History of the Mayweather-Pacquiao Non-Fight

This is my understanding of the actual facts regarding what I sometimes call "The Greatest Fight nEver". I'm only trying to set things straight for future discussion. Please feel free to correct me where I'm wrong. I won't take it personally at all. It just seems to me that this is one of those subjects where emotions run so high that they cloud clear thinking. I might make a follow-up post later in the thread.

Regarding a Possible Mayweather-Pacquiao Fight:

Initial Negotiations (2009)

I feel the evidence supports the notion that if anyone ducked the other, it was Manny who did so (during this first period of negotiations, I mean). Pacquiao asked for (and received, Schaefer negotiating for Floyd) his preference for glove size, ring size, and and the greatest weight penalty (in fact the maximum allowed -- 25%) in the history of boxing. Both fighters agreed to a 50/50 split of both gate and PPV revenues. Only one issue stood in the way: Floyd's insistence on a random Olympic-style form of drug testing. If Pacquiao had agreed to this stipulation, we would have had our answer as to whether or not Mayweather was ducking Pacquiao. Maybe he (Floyd) would have backed out. Maybe he would then have added a ridiculous condition (showing he didn't really want to fight). But I think we all know Manny's response -- "No-go." Make of that what you will.

Fast Forward A Year (2010)

After a bunch of back-and-forth bickering in the media, Pacquiao announces he is willing to do the random blood testing, as long as there is a cutoff date of 24 days before the fight. The first counter from the Mayweather camp was 2 nights before the fight. Then they yielded to 10. Finally they widened to a 14-day cutoff and to this they held steadfast. The reasons given by Top Rank (i.e. Arum & Roach) for their preferred cutoff seemed to vary (suspicious?). Some were: Manny needs three weeks to recover after having blood drawn; they didn't want their camp interrupted; MP dislikes needles; and that Pacquiao lost to Erik Morales b/c of this very thing (Manny himself made this claim in an interview with Brian Kenny, which I'm sure is on YT). Make of all that what you will.

Fast Forward Again to Last Year (February, Maybe?)

Manny Pacquiao now clearly, unambiguously, and publicly agrees to all of Mayweather's terms (which have now changed, I feel understandably): both financial and even the drug testing. He says he is willing to be tested as close as 3 days before fight night. Even HUGE Floyd Mayweather fan Stephen A. Smith (ESPN) was impressed and (for a while) had nothing left to say to defend Mayweather not making the fight. The response from Team Mayweather is basically one of hemming and hawing. They already have Miguel Cotto scheduled, so anything beyond that would have to wait. Extremely unfortunately for every boxing fan, Pacquiao went on to 'lose' to Timothy Bradley (in the worst boxing decision I personally have witnessed -- I even think outright corruption is possible, and I'm not a 'conspiracy theorist guy' normally) and then to get KO'd by Juan Manuel Marquez. If Floyd ever needed an out, he sure had one now!

And that basically brings us to where we find ourselves now. I have loudly and repeatedly opined that provided that Pac-Man dispenses with Brandon Rios impressively, there is no other opponent nearly as fitting for "TBE" Floyd (he says) as Manny Pacquiao, even now, though I think we all agree the prime window for this fight was years ago, in 2009-'10.

I might have a few details wrong (and am open to correction), but from sources I respect, that is my general run of the history of Mayweather/Pacquiao: The Greatest Fight nEVER.

Thanks for reading, and sorry if too long.

FWIW, I personally believe the truth is that, depending on which part of the scenario/saga one is referring to, both men are guilty of not REALLY wanting the fight to take place (badly enough). I have my own views/suspicions (i.e. opinion, not fact) as to the respective reasons why not, but perhaps that issue is best left for another time, another thread. (wink)
    Last edited by Hop; 10-03-2013 at 02:13 PM.

Re: The True (and Simplified) History of the Mayweather-Pacquiao Non-Fight

Unless you have personally sat in on the negotiations and with both teams then you or no one truly knows the "facts"

-you use the word "true" in your title, then conclude with "I might have a few details wrong"

whats the point?

No disrespect, but this subject is sooooo boring and pointless at this time....

Not bad, Hop! Nice, short breakdown.

Have you seen the contract?

Quote Originally Posted by amayseng View Post
    Unless you have personally sat in on the negotiations and with both teams then you or no one truly knows the "facts"

-you use the word "true" in your title, then conclude with "I might have a few details wrong"

whats the point?

No disrespect, but this subject is sooooo boring and pointless at this time....
    Hmm ...

1) Well, A-May, some parts of the history are facts, and that is what I have tried to highlight. Where I had an opinion, I tried to make it clear it was opinion.
    2) "True" was again meant to refer to what is not opinion, but what is a matter of record. I didn't mean it in the sense of my having gotten every detail "perfect" -- but rather that the main facts and their sequence are correct.
    3) I am sorry (and a little surprised) that your find the subject "sooooo boring". It is argued about and referenced on boxing chat boards like this endlessly, with much misinformation claimed as fact. I just thought it might be good to take the time to clear away the unfounded versions of what lay behind one of the (potentially) greatest match-ups of our day not happening. I guess that was "the point". Personally, I find it interesting and don't want to just believe the rumors and accusations of those who mindlessly defend either Mayweather or Pacquiao. Perhaps I'm rather alone in this (?).
    4) No "disrespect" taken.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Not bad, Hop! Nice, short breakdown.

Have you seen the contract?
    Thank you, Shad', and no, I haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by Hop View Post
    Hmm ...

1) Well, A-May, some parts of the history are facts, and that is what I have tried to highlight. Where I had an opinion, I tried to make it clear it was opinion.
    2) "True" was again meant to refer to what is not opinion, but what is a matter of record. I didn't mean it in the sense of my having gotten every detail "perfect" -- but rather that the main facts and their sequence are correct.
    3) I am sorry (and a little surprised) that your find the subject "sooooo boring". It is argued about and referenced on boxing chat boards like this endlessly, with much misinformation claimed as fact. I just thought it might be good to take the time to clear away the unfounded versions of what lay behind one of the (potentially) greatest match-ups of our day not happening. I guess that was "the point". Personally, I find it interesting and don't want to just believe the rumors and accusations of those who mindlessly defend either Mayweather or Pacquiao. Perhaps I'm rather alone in this (?).
    4) No "disrespect" taken.
    Dont take it personally i think the subject for myself at this point is not only redundant but ridiculous.

i would love nothing than to see this fight but with all the b.s. about it and it not getting done, well i am

not only beyond disappointed but tired of it....

i should have just skipped the article all together, its like why give the subject any attention when it will

never come to fruition and did not when it was suppose to ya know?

its like a never ending nightmare of back and forth arguing on who's fault it is....

either way it never got done and the fans missed out on a good and intriguing matchup.

Quote Originally Posted by amayseng View Post
    Dont take it personally i think the subject for myself at this point is not only redundant but ridiculous.

i would love nothing than to see this fight but with all the b.s. about it and it not getting done, well i am

not only beyond disappointed but tired of it....

i should have just skipped the article all together, its like why give the subject any attention when it will

never come to fruition and did not when it was suppose to ya know?

its like a never ending nightmare of back and forth arguing on who's fault it is....

either way it never got done and the fans missed out on a good and intriguing matchup.
    Nothing taken personally whatsoever, and there is much I agree with in your post. I guess the main difference is that for me, despite all the disgust and disappointment over this mega non-fight, I still value knowing what is/is not true regarding the history behind it -- b/c people claim and forward all kinds of junk that fits the way they want it to be, and paints the one they want to play the villain as all to blame. Also, though I don't want to go into it at this point, I do feel there are certain reasonable suspicions one might draw from the facts -- and that, too, I find of interest.

But to each his own. I don't feel bad that you didn't skip my thread. I like getting honest feedback, whatever it be.

Advanced Users

Wow! I should list some of the greatest fights of all times that didn not happen. You would be surprised that it is a regular thing. It is all of part of the biz. Holla!

Quote Originally Posted by Hop View Post
    Thank you, Shad', and no, I haven't.
    I've seen it. You nailed the terms. I still think it happens some time.