English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: An Ugly Win: Clinch-Happy Wladimir Easily Beats Povetkin

An Ugly Win: Clinch-Happy Wladimir Easily Beats Povetkin

What were those oddsmakers, and more directly, what were all those putting money on Alexander Povetkin to help move the line, thinking? Wladimir Klitschko dominated Alexander Povetkin in the main event which unfolded Saturday night in Moscow to the degree that it made one wonder how he wasn't a massive favorite, not that 3 to 1 fave on many boards. Wlad fought smart, it could be argued, clinching when he had to, which was too frequently for watchers. A left hook dropped Povetkin in the second, three times in the seventh, and once unofficially in the ninth. Klitschko didn't build his rep or buzz considering he resorted to clinching multiple times every round, draping himself on Povetkin like a shawl, but he did get the nod on the scorecards, by scores of 119-104 times three.
    Ref Luis Pabon drew scorn on social media for not reining in the clinchfest, rightly so.
    Klitschko is second, behind Joe Louis, in length of holding the heavyweight title, at 7 years. Louis held the crown for 11 years.
    HBO's Max Kellerman said he thinks Wlad is just below the top tier of alltime heavies, beneath Ali, Louis, Dempset et al.
    The WBA super, IBF and WBO champ Wlad won Olympic gold in 1996. The WBA world champ Povetkin won Olympic gold for Russia in 2004. He came into the bout never having been knocked down. At 6-6, the Ukrainian Wlad had four inches on the Russian. Wlad was 242 to 226 at the weigh in for Povetkin.
    Jonathan Banks, an Emanuel Steward protege, cornered Wlad. This was his third time in that role, since Steward died.
    Ted Gimza, Phil Verbeek and Glenn Feldman judged, Luis Pabon reffed.In the first, Klitschko (age 37; 60-3 with 51 KOs entering) Wlad clinched right away. He mastered distance the second two thirds of the round, and won it. A left hook buzzed Alex late. Wlad won 8 to 6 in punches landed. In the second, Povetkin (26-0 with 18 KOs; age 34) tried to get inside and be busy but getting grabbed. A left hook dropped Alex near the end of the round.
    In the third, Wlad clinched when Alex got near, and clipped him with hooks and jabs. Alex wanted to land a long right and get lucky.
    In the fourth, Wlad stayed focused and smart. Alex couldn't do anything inside because he got wrapped up whenever he came close. The round wasn't a good one for Wlad. In the fifth, Wlad kept on grabbing, and draping himself on Alex. The crowd booed the clinching. In the sixth, once again, Wlad headlocked him with his left arm, again and again. "You making him tired right now," Povetkin's corner told him after the round.
    In the seventh, a one two landed and then Wlad threw Alex down. It was scored a knockdown. Down he went again, at 1:41, off a shove. Down he went yet again, at :55. In the eighth, Alex was in no mood to work inside so the clinching was that much easier to do. In the ninth, Wlad shoved Alex to the mat again. His right eye was now looking worse. The Wlad jab was tenderizing his face.
    In the tenth, once again Wlad clinched with his left arm, with Alex dipping to his right, as rightys usually do. In the 11th,Wlad wobbled Alex at 1:15. He shoved Alex down, and Pabon took a point from him. "It's overdue," said HBO's Max Kellerman. Jim Lampley concurred, as did Roy Jones.
    In the 12th, Wlad clinched within the first three seconds of the round. Alex went down, his legs almost shot, off a shove at :55.
    We went to the cards.

Re: An Ugly Win: Clinch-Happy Wladimir Easily Beats Povetkin

He HELD constantly and leaned on Povs neck CONSTANTLY.

there is no a few times.

these illegal tactics were so consistent he should have been deducted a point within the first two minutes and

disqualified by the 3rd round. no argument.

what a shame to hold every advantage and then fight a smaller and shorter man the way Wlad did.

marciano would have murdered Wlad inside a round

Be fair, Amayseng - Povetkin didn't exactly avoid it. He came in low, perhaps in the hope of being able to send some hooks north, but was catched like a trout at the hands of our man Hop. Best effort vs Wlad for quite a while, though.

Why didn't Povetkin's corner give the referee hell from the opening round? I heard them say something after the fight was over. And every knock down was preceded by a push. That is the way business is done in boxing what else is new?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
    Be fair, Amayseng - Povetkin didn't exactly avoid it. He came in low, perhaps in the hope of being able to send some hooks north, but was catched like a trout at the hands of our man Hop. Best effort vs Wlad for quite a while, though.
    He came in low which is legal, part of boxing is the ability afforded to you to get low and to bang the body or fight inside.

Wlad was draped all over him like a 2 dollar whore.

that was a terrible display of boxing ability from wlad. he should be embarrassed.

a boxer is afforded the right to fight on the inside or at least try to get there without ILLEGALLY being stopped presented to him by the rules of boxing which were negated for wlad...

Advanced Users

All in the eyes of the beholder. Clinching is a beautiful art of pugilism. And YUP! IMHO, Rocky Marciano would kayo Doc Wladimir in a round or two. See RM knew how to avoid being clinched at will. Avoidance of clinching is also a beautiful art that has been lost by 85 percent of nowadays pugilists. Doc would not have ever been able to try up Dempsey, Louis, Marciano, Frazier or young Tyson that way. And when a man is leaning, you bob and weave and slip and dip, you will make him fall on his mug and bust his lip.

The acts of clinching and leaning on an opponent with your weight are not illegal in boxing. What is a disgrace, are sorry-arse heavyweights who don't know syet about shaking and baking, slipping and whipping, rolling and strolling and poking and smoking.

You guys are hating on the wrong pugilist. Doc W had game. Provetkin was dumb and lame. And his corner should be full of shame.

Optical illusions are everywhere and calling mass confusions. Holla!

pushing an opponent is Illegal

he was constantly pushing his opponent down. that is illegal . he did this 72 times.

holding and hitting with uppercuts is illegal. he did this.

excessive holding is illegal. he did this 100 times.

he even threw Pov to the floor. illegal.

he landed elbows as strikes. this is illegal.

My thoughts are basically an amalgamation of what has already been pointed out in other comments, but ...

1) I really disliked Wladimir's constant leaning over/on Povetkin's back, however ...
    2) As a previous poster said, I blame AP in part for his doing zilch (!) to maneuver away from this, after it was clear it was going to be WK's MO.
    3) Timid little refs are worthless. Twinkle-toes just watched The Ukrainian Lean all night and never raised a finger against it. What's he there for?
    4) I do think Wlad has a very good jab, and Povetkin's head must've been rocked backward by it 100 times.
    5) I just don't 'hate' WK's fights as much as others do (including today's, even) and recognize his skills, and yet I certainly see the valid points his detractors make.
    6) I'm convinced he's beatable. Very much so. Give me a HW w/movement (P had none), speed, smarts, & heart. A tall order, I suppose, but I remember when there were several.

Quote Originally Posted by Hop View Post
    My thoughts are basically an amalgamation of what has already been pointed out in other comments, but ...

1) I really disliked Wladimir's constant leaning over/on Povetkin's back, however ...
    2) As a previous poster said, I blame AP in part for his doing zilch (!) to maneuver away from this, after it was clear it was going to be WK's MO.
    3) Timid little refs are worthless. Twinkle-toes just watched The Ukrainian Lean all night and never raised a finger against it. What's he there for?
    4) I do think Wlad has a very good jab, and Povetkin's head must've been rocked backward by it 100 times.
    5) I just don't 'hate' WK's fights as much as others do (including today's, even) and recognize his skills, and yet I certainly see the valid points his detractors make.
    6) I'm convinced he's beatable. Very much so. Give me a HW w/movement (P had none), speed, smarts, & heart. A tall order, I suppose, but I remember when there were several.
    Hop, just because Pov has a limited skill set which does not allow him to do more than zilch does not mean wlads tactics were not illegal and pov was not entitled under the rules to have the opportunity to fight within an effective parameter.

however, if you are stating he did zilch in the affect that he didnt retaliate and to the bully tactics then i concur.

in fact some tricks of the trade are to hit low every time you are pushed down. a good ref will NOT hold you accountable for punching low when you are pushed down and the trajectory of your punches are sent in that direction due to the opponent pushing you that direction.

also, pov should have pivoted or step to the side and continued to hit wlad in the spine and kidneys to let him know he wont be bullied.

step on his shoes coming forward and pushing wlad back.

you can not allow yourself to be bullied in the ring, especially illegally.

Quote Originally Posted by amayseng View Post
    Hop, just because Pov has a limited skill set which does not allow him to do more than zilch does not mean wlads tactics were not illegal.
    Well, sure. Wasn't that clear from my post? Why else would I have included point #3 on my list?