English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Miguel Cotto-Sergio Martinez Fight Would Be Semi-Epic, No?

A Miguel Cotto-Sergio Martinez Fight Would Be Semi-Epic, No?

An unscientic poll on social media tells me that many fight fans are keen to see Miguel Cotto, who looked like a revitalized pugilist, energized and ultra-predatory on Saturday night, against solid journeyman Delvin Rodriguez, take on Sergio Martinez next, or in the very near future.
    I wondered, would Sergio entertain that bout? I posed the query to Team Martinez' Nathan Lewkowicz; his dad Sampson advises Sergio and Nathan spends as much time with Martinez as anyone in the fight game, including informal social occasions when Sergio lets loose his deepest thoughts.
    "Sergio has wanted a Cotto fight for years," Nathan told me. "He does not like Cotto at all. Cotto refused to shake Sergio's hand at an event they both attended. Sergio felt very disrespected and never forgot that."
    Here's a scenario I could, as amateur matchmaker-promoter, see playing out. Martinez, now getting his full strength back after sustaining injuries during his April 27 win over Martin Murray in his native Argentina, takes a rust-shedder early in 2014.
    A solid foe could be Sergio Mora, the Latin Snake, who is also promoted by Lou DiBella. (For the record, Mora would take a Sergio bout in half a heartbeat. "I'm beating Sergio next year!" he told me. "They'll consider me a 'tuneup' after a long layoff.")
    If the 38-year-old Martinez gets past the super skilled technician Mora, a Martinez-Cotto pay-per-view in the early fall would be one of the most anticipated clashes of the boxing year 2014.
    Readers, talk to me. You like this fantasy course I've plotted? Or would you rather Cotto (seen whacking Rodriguez in HBO bout in Chris Farina-Top Rank photo) get after a fight with Canelo Alvarez, which would seemingly to me be harder to make, considering Cotto worked with Top Rank this fight, and Alvarez is with Golden Boy. Or is there another hitter you'd like Cotto to tangle with?
    Weigh in, in our Forum.

Re: A Miguel Cotto-Sergio Martinez Fight Would Be Semi-Epic, No?

please NO Mora in any way.

cotto vs canelo or cotto vs s. martinez are both exciting bouts. i will happily watch them both.

my prediction cotto beats canelo and martinez out boxes cotto...

The Latin snake could actually finish Martinez in an ugly affair. Sergio is hanging by a thread and I wonder how popular he truly is. He hasn't been that active and he hasn't looked that good.
    I don't think Sergio could repeat the perfect performance he had against Dzinzurik.. but I think if he catches Cotto with the straight left he still has enough remaining in his tank to finish him. Let Cotto fight Canello and let GGG retire Martinez.

Advanced Users

I'm riding shotgun with A-Seng. Except that Cotto will indeed beat both Canelo and Martinez easily. Holla!

No, Editor Mike. Not a good idea. Too much risk.

Here's the money scenario:

They sign for the fight ASAP, June 7, 2014 at Madison Square Garden (although Barclay's might have an outside shot under this scenario, which I will explain below).

They fight the weekend of New York Puerto Rican Day Parade, a traditional Cotto PPV date. Martinez has fought many times in NY also, building a decent following in the process -- not to mention that NY has one of the biggest Argentine American communities in the US.

With time to build it up, that fight does at least a lucrative 500,000-750,000 PPV buys, securing both aging pugilists massive paydays.

But there's more.

Not only will the Martinez-Cotto fight be for the middleweight championship.

It can also be a de facto eliminator for the September date with Floyd Mayweather (in which case, they would have to have the fight at Barclay's, televise on SHO and and let GBP promote -- a bit unlikely given somewhat frosty GBP-DiBella relations but absolutely plausible).

After Mayweather dusts Amir Khan for a cool $85m in May, we would see Pretty Boy Floyd go on a date with destiny and challenge for the official middleweight championship of the world in Las Vegas.

Promoted right, these two events can end up grossing over $250m, earning career money for both Martinez and Cotto, a chance at history all the while providing all the key components required for a Mayweather mega event.

They would have so much time to build either fight, using all the platforms plus they would have the luxury of time.

At the end of the day, the loser of Martinez-Cotto gets the consolation prize of cashing out against superstar Canelo Alvarez.

With all that looming, there's no point WHATSOEVER in wasting time with a Latin Snake who might just poison -- and halt -- this money train.

ALL ABOARD! The Money TRAIN!

Advanced Users

Ditto, The Shadow! Da BIG WIGS know what time it is. They always follow the money. And will cut the head off a snake. It MONEY TIME! Holla!

Administrator

I love Sergio "Duct Tape" Martinez. That said, some guys don't age well in the fight game and that someone is Sergio. Healthy, I love him against a slew of opponents. But therein lies the rub. Yes, he came to the sport late which is too bad for both him and us, but his oversized heart is going to end up keeping him around to get those attractive pay days and he'll be going life and death with guys that wouldn't have been much of a problem just several years ago. Too bad too, because the Marvelous One is all class.

Agreed... Martinez vs anyone of consequence is more lesser-epic than semi-epic. The aging fragile middleweight should go out on the biggest platform he can find.

Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post
    I'm riding shotgun with A-Seng. Except that Cotto will indeed beat both Canelo and Martinez easily. Holla!
    I think it truly depends on Martinez and his overall condition coming back from a few injuries and also the fact that he has been breaking down the last year or so. However I can see cotto beating the Martinez we just last saw fight.

Looks like The Shadow's prophecy can indeed come true: http://www.boxingscene.com/sergio-ma...-summer--70332