English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Is Boxing Not In Trouble After Floyd & Manny Leave?

Question How Is Boxing Not In Trouble After Floyd & Manny Leave?

I love boxing. I'm not worried about it literally disappearing (unless a sweeping liberal sentiment gains widespread acceptance that targets its "brutality" as something 'progressive' people should be ashamed of). But in terms of that elite popularity & visibility, where do you see the sport going after the exit of Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao?

After recently seeing 'big' bouts like Klitschko/Povetkin and now Bradley/Marquez, I fear a dearth of true top-level excitement in the boxing ring. I'm talking about those along the lineage of Ali-Frazier-Foreman-Leonard-Duran-Hagler-Hearns-Tyson-Jones-Hopkins-Pacquiao-Mayweather (insert prime Bowe & Lewis, if you want; also Barrera, Morales, whoever else).

I don't know about you guys, but do Canelo & Broner quite do it for y'all? I like Rigo & Garcia, but gap-fillers? IDK.

Of course hardcore boxingheads (like us) will find enough to keep us watching, but I do wonder who will arise, if anyone, to take that lineal torch I speak of and carry it forward?

Re: How Is Boxing Not In Trouble After Floyd & Manny Leave?

Well Bradley is no star that is for sure. For one he is not a very exciting fighter and his personality suffers from being arrogant to the point of delusional. He lost two in a row and then beats a 40 year old jmm and calls himself a top 3 lb4lb. I am all for a confident athlete but Tim is insulting our intelligence.

Enter the Europeans....

Golovkin and Kovalev are both very exciting fighters who can carry intrigue and a mass following.
    Ward is an exceptional fighter but he isnt exciting enough to carry ppv's.

broner looked average against paulie and no way is ppv worthy.

There are some really good fighters who can carry the sport after floyd and pac but they wont sell ppv's.

enough of the ridiculous ppv's anyways, fans need to take a stand. 75$ is a joke.

last nights card should have been on hbo and the upcoming broner card should be on showtime.

there may not be a "star" to carry the sport but there are some really good fighters out there and some good fights to be made for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by amayseng View Post
    Well Bradley is no star that is for sure. For one he is not a very exciting fighter and his personality suffers from being arrogant to the point of delusional. He lost two in a row and then beats a 40 year old jmm and calls himself a top 3 lb4lb. I am all for a confident athlete but Tim is insulting our intelligence.

Enter the Europeans....

Golovkin and Kovalev are both very exciting fighters who can carry intrigue and a mass following.
    Ward is an exceptional fighter but he isnt exciting enough to carry ppv's.

broner looked average against paulie and no way is ppv worthy.

There are some really good fighters who can carry the sport after floyd and pac but they wont sell ppv's.

enough of the ridiculous ppv's anyways, fans need to take a stand. 75$ is a joke.

last nights card should have been on hbo and the upcoming broner card should be on showtime.

there may not be a "star" to carry the sport but there are some really good fighters out there and some good fights to be made for sure.
    Agreed ...Amayseng is dead right..... Boxing ain't going nowhere.
    Except now the best boxers will be flying home overseas after the big bouts since American boxers don't take the sport seriously anymore and the natural athletes believe boxing is beneath them.

But we will continue to import the Triple G's ...the Lomanchenko's....the Kovalev's and the fine Puerto-Rican, Mexicans, Cubans, Asians, and build up the rare American Superstar.....just like we import cars...silk and exotic fruit and buy the buy them by the millions.

Lomanchenkco is on a collision course with Rigondeaux.

Kovalev faces the slick. "Black Russian" Syllahk in November.

GGG will lay waste to the east and west coasts like Godzilla....
    Terrorizing middleweights until the super middle weights can no longer ignore him.

Stevensen will be checking chins in Quebec

And there's like a million new prospects named Gonzales who the burgeoning Mexican audience will support.

Deontay Wilder WILL GET BETTER.....

In fact the next wave of fighting Superstars will be more talented and exciting than ever...
    Just learn how to pronounce the names.

For the short term look for local boxer Erroll Spence to lead the latest Vanguard of the few remaining American contingency to make waves...and Kieth Thurman to begin knocking on the door.

Boxing is about to blowup.
    Last edited by brownsugar; 10-13-2013 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amayseng View Post
    Last night's card should have been on hbo.
    Boy, do I agree with that. Regular HBO.

Thank you, A-May & B-Sug for your quality posts and perspectives on the 'problem' I raised. I might not agree w/every detail, but certainly much of it. Brownsugar, just to be clear, I wasn't saying that boxing as a sport would "go anywhere", just that the horizon currently looks fairly barren to me in terms of those 'special' fighters of the caliber I mentioned. And the two recent 'top' fights really brought that home.

Quote Originally Posted by Hop View Post
    Boy, do I agree with that. Regular HBO.

Thank you, A-May & B-Sug for your quality posts and perspectives on the 'problem' I raised. I might not agree w/every detail, but certainly much of it. Brownsugar, just to be clear, I wasn't saying that boxing as a sport would "go anywhere", just that the horizon currently looks fairly barren to me in terms of those 'special' fighters of the caliber I mentioned. And the two recent 'top' fights really brought that home.
    I like your question. I think special is actually a synonym for crowd attracting and able to draw in the casual fan. I admit, in that vain I don't see a whole lot. However in terms of just raw talent and able to kick pure tail or be very competitive, boxing is plenty healthy for years to come. You got Rigo, Ward, Thurman, Broner, GGG, Gary Russell Jr. (When he decides to fight someone) who are very young. You still have good years left in Froch, Bute, Stevenson, Maidana, Khan, Garcia, Matthysse, Quilin, Brook, Jacobs, Donaire, Garcia and several others. I think what worries us is that there is not a ton of crowd pleasing fighters coming from the states or who are of pure American heritage. That idea tends to chase the casual fan away.

Quote Originally Posted by The Good Doctor View Post
    I like your question. I think special is actually a synonym for crowd attracting and able to draw in the casual fan. I admit, in that vain I don't see a whole lot. However in terms of just raw talent and able to kick pure tail or be very competitive, boxing is plenty healthy for years to come. You got Rigo, Ward, Thurman, Broner, GGG, Gary Russell Jr. (When he decides to fight someone) who are very young. You still have good years left in Froch, Bute, Stevenson, Maidana, Khan, Garcia, Matthysse, Quilin, Brook, Jacobs, Donaire, Garcia and several others. I think what worries us is that there is not a ton of crowd pleasing fighters coming from the states or who are of pure American heritage. That idea tends to chase the casual fan away.
    Thanks, and another good response, Doc. But I would say that "special", as I mean to use it, stands for more than just drawing power. That's certainly one of the results of it, but let me ask my question in another way.

Have you (not just Good Doc, buy anybody reading) ever thought about this: Arbitrarily beginning with Muhammad Ali, one could draw a continuous line of superlative boxers -- without a gap -- all the way down into our current time. IMO, however, if Mayweather and Pacquiao were to retire tomorrow, that line would experience its first break since then.

Who, in your view, has the potential of rightfully belonging in this type of pedigree: Ali-Frazier-Foreman-Leonard-Duran-Hagler-Hearns-Tyson-Bowe-Jones-Hopkins-Pacquiao-Mayweather?

There are some good/very good fighters out there, sure. But are there any that you see rising to heights as lofty as the predecessors above? Respectfully (to Ward, Golovkin, Rigo, Garcia, etc.), I'm not seeing that.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by The Good Doctor View Post
    If that's the case I have the short answer.

Nothing is certain in this life.
    But if I could trust any boxer to become great and fill the shoes of Bhop, Hagler, and Jones at Middleweight it's GGG.
    He is about a sure thing a thing as we can get...
    Just keep watching...the star making phenomenon is unfolding right before our eyes.
    GGG is a can't miss boxing sensation who can appeal to the masses in the blue collar way like Hagler and Marciano.
    It won't be long in coming.
    Although his boxing expertise is beyond the comprehension of most because he trancends conventional styles... His Forrest Gump-like innocence...and Godzilla like destruction of opponents will elevate him to stardom.
    I would go further to say the next big thing is all ready here.

Quoted the wrong paragraph but you get my drift.

Administrator

Call me insane, but I believe that boxing will achieve its highest status as a sport in the next ten to fifteen years.

I am with Brownsugar on GGG, in fact I have been riding shotgun with him from day one ever since he backed out the GGG bandwagon and we rode alone as others laughed at us and called us crazy.

As far a there being a "special" fighter out there I would chose GGG. like bsug said, he can do it all and he does it easily.

The kid has ALL the tools, all of them offensively and defensively he is complete.

Donaire may be a fighter who carries the sport as well, just think when he moves up in weight.

Who would have thought years ago a 135lb floyd mayweather would be the Star helping carry the sport today?