English Español
Advertisement

Thread: the assention of Gary Russell

the assention of Gary Russell

Gary Russell supposedly getting the winner of Lomanchenko vs Salido....quite a step up...can this really be true? He says he's ready but will Al sign off on it? I say make it happen...

Re: the assention of Gary Russell

I think Russell is a tremendous boxer ...and has excellent potential. But I'm not sure if this is the right time for Gary to step too far up in class.

Advanced Users

I'm for da hap, B-Sug! Then I will see if G Rus is legit. My √ury is still out on him being a boxing-superstar hit. Holla!

Well said RG... can't wait to find out

Gary Russell is not fighting the winner of that fight. At least not yet.

For one, he and his father don't want a title shot. They're trying to pad his record before "stepping up in class."

Secondly, there's the whole case of promotional conflicts.

Third, the career road maps of those fighters have no intersecting points any time soon. GBP is looking to match him with guys like Ponce De Leon and Abner Mares down the road.

TR plans to have Salido drop the strap to Lomachenko and match Lomachenko with Rigo (who they hope will lose to Lomachenko; Rigo's co-promoter Caribe, his manager and the fighter are too much of a headache for old Bob. Plus Espinoza is very keen on Rigo so he can match him with the GBP bracket).

I wouldn't be surprised to see Russell "step up" against a guy like Yuandale Evans, Juanma Lopez, if they convince Top Rank to let him free, maybe a Javier Fortuna, probably Johnny Gonzalez after he puts Mares over in the rematch, maybe even Leo Santa Cruz and then those two aforementioned Mexicans.

Either way, I don't see Russell fighting Salido or Lomachenko for at least 8-10 fights.

Gary Russel is a very good, solid pugilist, we are just awaiting to see him step it up a notch...for awhile now

I agree with Shadow, promotional conflicts will be a huge barrier. And the crooked bobfather is trying to shake off Rigo. However I'd like to see it happen.

And Russel is very talented I'm just waiting for him to face a solid fighters