English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Golovkin Stops Ultra-Game Stevens at MSG

Golovkin Stops Ultra-Game Stevens at MSG

Gennady Golovkin had a harder time with challenger Curtis Stevens than many if not most expected in the main event at The Theater at Madison Square Garden on Saturday night. Stevens fought a smart, disciplined fight, and tagged GGG more than his detractors suggested he could. But body shots, thudding, internal-organ re-arranging sorts of blows, had him hurting in round eight. Stevens, whose stock actually rose with the effort, went back to his corner and his trainers said no more. For his own good, they asked the ref to halt the event.
    This event was the first to take place in the Theater since the whole building re-opened, transformed, on Oct. 18, following a three-year, one billion dollar revamp. Golovkin entered with a 27-0 mark, and 24 KOs. Stevens was 25-3 with 18 KOs entering.
    HBO showed the clash.
    In the first, the 31-year-old Kazahk native worked the jab, came forward, was busier, and won the round, as Curtis looked a bit tight. In the second, the Brooklyn-born hitter, who now lives in Queens, hit the deck late. A left hook on the forehead did it.
    In the third, a left hook late bugged Stevens. Golovkin was patient, deliberate, not wasting any motion, as Stevens looked to be defensive, not get caught.
    In the fourth, Stevens landed a few clean shots. A solid right nailed Gennady clean, and after GGG landed about three nasty left hooks to the body, Stevens finished the round well. In the fifth, Stevens had a solid round. He was smart, disciplined and didn't make a mistake. He landed, too, a sharp right and a better left hook, and was effective when busy, and not letting GGG dictate pace.
    In the sixth, Stevens stayed smart, not wanting to get caught, but wasn't busy enough to win the round. An underrated defender, he kept his guard high, and did just fine despite being having to work off the ropes a bunch. Stevens was first some, but mostly looked to land in between, as Golovkin reloaded, or after a miss, in round seven. In the eighth, Stevens was in a precarious position for almost the whole round. He ate bad body shots and a couple heavy head shots, and did well to make it to his corner.
    WATCH RELATED VIDEOS ON BOXINGCHANNEL.TV

Re: Golovkin Stops Ultra-Game Stevens at MSG

I wanted to see GGG take a few punches on the chin and he did. Stevens was out gunned by a better fighter but he had a few moments. I wish that 3G and a Sergio Martinez would be up next. I don't know if Sergio is healthy enough to handle GGG at this point but at his age he needs to get that payday. I have no idea why HBO keeps Roy Jones jr on the payroll. He adds nothing and can't even pronounce the fighters names right half the time.

GGG did take some punches well. Stevens fought as best he could but is not in the same category as Golovkin. However he is a better fighter than people were giving him credit for. He took a hell of a punch in the second round and survived it. He has a very big heart to man up and take the beating he did. Golovkin is the best at 160. I think he should stay there and not think about moving up. Be the best in that division. Hopefully he'll get to fight the two fighters he called out.

Quote Originally Posted by the Roast View Post
    I wanted to see GGG take a few punches on the chin and he did. Stevens was out gunned by a better fighter but he had a few moments. I wish that 3G and a Sergio Martinez would be up next. I don't know if Sergio is healthy enough to handle GGG at this point but at his age he needs to get that payday. I have no idea why HBO keeps Roy Jones jr on the payroll. He adds nothing and can't even pronounce the fighters names right half the time.
    I agree also why does Roy jr laugh after every comment he makes?
    It is quite annoying. Roy was decent a few years ago commentating but recently he has been terrible.

it was a decent fight,curtis was shell shocked by the 8th and quit on himself. probably the event itself was over whelming who knows ,he had his moments but not in ggg league .a good boxer will give him a hard time i think though he positions himself very well with everyone when he bangs... the fight before was better for entertainment ..

After all his ridiculous trash talk, at least Stevens walked the walk and fought a smart, resourceful fight, and landed some hard shots. Golovkin was prepared defensively, deflecting some partially with a well-placed guard, as well as effectively threading the needle through and around Stevens' intelligent tight guard. GGG impresses like crazy, though, with a nearly unparalleled ability to pick his shots, making small adjustments to angle and placement. As others have said, GGG had to eat some hard shots, but he only took his game up a few notches in response. Dude's the real deal. I don't see Martinez surviving against the real boxing skills and power of GGG.

At 160 there's Golovkin and then there's everyone else Martinez will never fight him. If Floyd wanted a legacy fight he'd challenge GGG but of course that'll never happen. I'm still a Roy Jones fan like and respect the guy but probably should go by now might as well put Tony Tubbs in the booth. He's a walking concussion. Entertaining heavyweight scrap those boys were throwing some bombs.

Lol can someone post a link to the post fight conference? Curtis did not even stick around for an interview, they should have chased him down in the locker room like JMM.

Why isnt Stevens catching hell ??

he said ggg was a hype job and he was going to destroy him, knock him out, or was it knock him the Fucck out , in the last press conf days before the fight.

Then people say he is "game" for fighting in a shell and barely throwing punches for 8 rounds...

i dont get why he is left off the hook.

like i predicted, he would be on the retreat the whole fight which he pretty much was..

I don't think you hold 11-1 underdogs who take their beatings like a man to the same scrutiny that you hold top contenders regardless of how hard they punch.