English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rigo Wants Donaire or Lomachenko Next

Rigo Wants Donaire or Lomachenko Next

In a nation seemingly evermore scornful of subtlety, Guillermo Rigondeaux is in a tough spot. He’s the first, second or third best pugilst on the planet, with hand speed and power galore and a knack for footwork that tells me that he’d win the next Dancing With the Stars in a runaway. But the Cuban still fights in the same manner he employed in about 500 amateur fights, rat-tat-tatting his foes, and then waltzing deftly away, out of range. You want tradefest, you don’t want to watch a Rigo fight. This makes things somewhat harder for advisor Gary Hyde, who saw Rigo on Saturday night have his way with challenger Joseph Agbeko, a Ghana-born hitter who lived in the Bronx before moving to Vegas to train with Roger Mayweather.
    The fans go ga-ga over the traders, and crave see-saw action more than they want to admire clinics put on by pugilists-scientists.
    I asked Hyde how he handles that, and what he thought of Rigo’d UD12 win over Agbkeo, and what’s next for the talented artist.
    “I am really proud to be Rigo’s manager,” said the Irishman Hyde, over email. “I thought his performance was flawless. Rigo always shows me something new and against Agbeko he showed how he can neutralize whatever the opponent brings.” That wasn’t all that much after round two, as Agbeko became discouraged, and he ceased to be busy and voluminous. “The fans were disappointed that Agbeko was afraid to make a fight of it,” he said.
    And next for the Cuban? “He will enjoy Christmas and in January we will welcome negotaitions for a (rematch with) Nonito Donaire or a fight in April, against Vasyl Lomachenko. Rigo will fight any 122 or 126 pound fighter once they agree they will not weigh over 135 pounds on fight night.”
    Follow Woods on Twitter.

Re: Rigo Wants Donaire or Lomachenko Next

Rigo wants Donaire more than a pittbull craves bil jac. But Lomanchenko didn't seem that appealing to him..... Rigo didn't look scared.. He just looks like he wants a bigger payday.

Advanced Users

It is always about the moolah -- FIRST and FOREMOST -- for boxers with a brain. It is the art of prizefighting. Tough, dumb guys do that pride-fighting double-turkey jive. They spoil the fanfaronades, fluzzies and fanboys. Holla!
    Last edited by Radam G; 12-10-2013 at 12:57 AM.

I would rather see Lomachenko in against some appealing competition for a few fights before jumping in with

Rigo.

I wasn't impressed with Lomachenko on the Rios vs. Pac Man undercard. I think Rigo destroys the guy I saw, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoulder Roll Defense View Post
    I wasn't impressed with Lomachenko on the Rios vs. Pac Man undercard. I think Rigo destroys the guy I saw, but I could be wrong.
    He wasn't on that card, maybe that's why? He did well in his last bout. He's like a GGG Lite.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    He wasn't on that card, maybe that's why? He did well in his last bout. He's like a GGG Lite.
    My bad, it was the Bradley vs. Marquez undercard. My sentiments are the same, he should steer clear of Rigo. Based on what I saw, Rigo schools him easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoulder Roll Defense View Post
    My bad, it was the Bradley vs. Marquez undercard. My sentiments are the same, he should steer clear of Rigo. Based on what I saw, Rigo schools him easily.
    Oh, hell yeah. He knows himself, he said he wasn't ready for him yet. Funny, that's what I've heard from quite a few pugilists and promoters publicly.

I guess you never really get truly ready for your Last Meal. LOL

SRD I think everyone should steer clear of Rigo, I dont see anyone in his division beating him...The dude is

a pure boxing lesson to be had...

Lomachenko is also making the transition to different gloves. in wba they use gloves thicker and more padded that also dont close into a tight fist. Pro gloves are much different. Lomachenko has the goods, but I dont think you throw him in there with Rigo so soon, an early defeat could be harmful. I would steer him to exciting "pac" like bouts, then he will prosper.

It's a smart move for Rigo to call out Lomachenko for a few reasons.

Firstly it will make Bob think twice about trying to use a fight with Lomachenko to scare, beat and/or coerce Rigo to do what he wants.

Secondly, it will make Lomachenko think .. .'"do I want my undefeated professional career to end this way and this soon".

Lomachenko is a very skilled and accomplished boxer, but Rigo will not only school him - he will embarrass him too.