English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanna Be A Mod In Our Forum Contest? Info In THIS THREAD

Administrator

Wanna Be A Mod In Our Forum Contest? Info In THIS THREAD

*Just yesterday, I received a Facebook instant message from a boxing friend. She is a publicist and advisor and one of the many, many good ones in the sport.

"The Sweet Science Forum is awesome," she said. "Everyone is so smart, and civil, too!"

Amen, I replied, and thanked her for noticing.

Of course, it's something we at TSS pride ourselves on, and have picked up on, from way back.

We've been thinking about how to accentuate this positive even more, and have come up with a contest that will serve to 1) reward our Forum faithful in a more concrete fashion and 2) shine a brighter light on the immense contributions these articulate, seasoned boxing fans grace us with on a daily basis.

Gentlemen and ladies, announcing The Sweet Science 2014 Forum Contest.

The broadstrokes are as follows:

Beginning April 1, and scoring on the 15th and last day of each month, a moderator selects a best post, a runner-up and an honorable mention.

We won't be merely clapping those folks on the back, with a hearty "attaboy."

No.

We'll be offering a cash prize of $500 to the person who submitted the best post in the TSS AND the Boxing Channel Forum the first half AND second half of the month, $300 to the runner-up, and $100 for the honorable mention poster, TWO times per month.

We will also be awarding points, 3 to the victor, 2 to the runner-up, and 1 to the bronze medalist.

Each month, the points will be tallied up. At the end of the year, Christmas Day, actually, the top Forum poster will be rewarded for their submissions. The individual with the most points will be flown to Las Vegas, with a guest, at our expense for a dinner with a some stellar company. That could even include a pugilist of renown. Oh, and we are going to commission a nice trophy, something for your mantle, too boot.

TSS will have a moderator scouring the posts for the best and brightest bursts of insight and wisdom. That moderator will come from the ranks of the all-star posters themselves! Want to volunteer? Volunteer by emailing Editor Mike at MJWoods99@aol.com, with your Forum moniker, real name, address, and astrological sign.

I hope you're as excited as I about this project, which, if I may be so bold, further underscores one of the elements which makes TSS so special, and such a destination for boxing fans who crave intelligent and lovingly crafted boxing coverage.

Fight on, and write on,

Editor Mike

Re: Wanna Be A Mod In Our Forum Contest? Info In THIS THREAD

Hey, EM, which one of these threads are valid, this one or the previous one from yesterday indicating the contest started on March 7th?

Read this Greyman. It says best post. Not an accumulation of multiple posts. If you are gonna be the judge you should know what you are judging.

Thank you Roast but I've already read it a few times.

We clearly need some clarification on this though, so everyone's on the some page. Is the contest won on the best post, or the best posts? There's a crucial difference.

Administrator

@tR

"The Sweet Science Forum is awesome," she said. "Everyone is so smart, and civil, too!"

Note: Awesome

Note: Civil

@Dino, how am I being uncivil? I'm not allowed to disagree or ask questions? I just want clarity. Does one good post have a chance to win or is it posts in bulk? Maybe you or Mike or whoever else runs the show can answer that.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreyman View Post
    Thank you Roast but I've already read it a few times.

We clearly need some clarification on this though, so everyone's on the some page. Is the contest won on the best post, or the best posts? There's a crucial difference.
    Grey, I don't know for sure but I can tell you how I did it...

For TSS, the quantity and traffic was greater. Therefore there were more good posts. I decided to pick best post on that side.

On the BC side, there was a shortage of posts due to the lower traction so therefore no obvious "best post" while I was there. For that reason, I chose to look the quality and consistency, which led me to choosing Bobcat.

That's was just my logic. Aside from El Dude losing his mind (claiming the judge award the prize to himself or something) I didn't seem to get any flack for it.

I think it's really how you judge it. But perhaps some clarity is needed. Do you qualify for a prize if you only have one post during that period but that one post was the $hit? (You should, technically, but I don't think that's necessarily the case.)

Or do you have to have at least, say, 15-25 (non-spammy) posts during that period?

Would be nice. That would also help the true aim of the initiative: bringing people to the forum and contributing. It would be a shame if a genius just popped in, dropped a sick gem and then dipped....

But you're right: there's a crucial difference.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by the Roast View Post
    @Dino, how am I being uncivil? I'm not allowed to disagree or ask questions? I just want clarity. Does one good post have a chance to win or is it posts in bulk? Maybe you or Mike or whoever else runs the show can answer that.
    True, it could have been clearer. If you recall, and you should because I remember you commenting on this some time ago, I wanted some type of clarity as to the year's end anointing of the best that the forum produced. At that time, we had no protocol to determine a winner. This contest, replete with potential to anger a few, if not the masses, gave us a chance to broaden our forum base. Fortunately, week upon week, month upon month, we have accomplished this.

As for the scoring, I believe the mix up came from the delay in the execution. I was hoping the contest would have been green lighted for the first of the year, and it became a 'we will discuss it next Monday' topic. Well, enough Mondays go by, and as we had never done anything along these lines, it became the topic that gets pushed to the next meeting. Eventually, you find yourself in March. I took it upon myself to post almost verbatim something I had quickly thrown together at some time prior, just to get it out there. Editor Mike did the same thing. Pretty much the same message, but with just enough difference to cause some confusion. If you ask me if I care if one mod prefers the one post that's a knockout or amayseng's Aaron Pryor-like relentless assault at the ROTY, I can tell you that I can live with either one. But, it better be either one.

I had concerns. Even though there was an above average chemistry in this forum, I knew the competitive nature of the common fight fan could take this forum to its knees. But, we had yet an additional dilemma to overcome. We have always fielded the finest boxing writing staff ever assembled and have made it available via the internet at no charge; however, we weren't reaching the masses that we felt we were capable of. We needed something that could grab the attention of the guys who read the forum, but don't wish to post. And there are plenty. I know, as family and friends are forever commenting on Radam, Shadow, mortcola, or who have you. I continually ask, "Why don't you post?". The answers are always the same, anywhere from 'I will, I will, to "I don't really know the sport that well and those guys seem to really know their stuff!".

People don't want to be ridiculed, so they don't participate. My biggest concern was friends taking care of friends. I'll take care of you , he'll take care of them, and they'll take care of me. Well, that hasn't happened. I've spoken to several mods during their run, and I love it when they say, "This Shadow is killing it", or "This OU guy, great stuff!". This was the spirit we had hoped for. We've gone out and brought monsters into this forum, like The Commish and ArneK. We've yet to have anybody do less than a great job. And you, who has been here forever, turn negative? We're still the same, tR, we're still the same...we're GREAT.

For years, other sites had a policy that you couldn't mention the The Sweet Science by name. Comical really. Closest they'd get would be "Sweet Science", excluding the "The". That's what they do when they fear you.

We go out of our way here to make newcomers feel welcome. We'll even put up with the "I'm in it to win it" types as they should be allowed a voice, because they certainly do represent some percentage of the populous. We put up with people who claim nobody here knows anything, but then immediately ask you to go to another forum. I guess it's so they can call you names over there and it'll be o.k., because you don't know anything.

We're fearless. We allow you to come in here and talk about any site on the net and we won't delete it. We know we do a great job, and we're continually raising the bar. We're approaching ten years at this address and we're really looking forward to the next ten.

The sport is actually having a nice run. It's growing again (after some years in decline). I don't wish to lose one potential fan who may bring twenty of his closest friends into the sport if he gets bitten by the 'boxing bug'. So, when you don't even give someone an opportunity, I find it puzzling. It's not like we're dragging people in off the street to do this task. At the conclusion of everybody's run, it's been virtually the same sentiment, "Wow, that was a lot of work! I enjoyed it! Love to do it again! But no time soon!".

In closing, (boy did this get long) yes, you're allowed to disagree; yes, you're allowed to question. But there is a level of professionalism, respect and common decency that is cherished in this space. We all choose to come here. There are tens of thousands of other places where people could spend their time or things that they could be doing instead of coming here. My hope is that at it's best, it is a very enjoyable experience; and at it's worst, it just doesn't waste anybody's time.

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by the Roast View Post
    C'mon, the Roast! One good post can. We're in the hurt bitnezz. One shot can change jive. Didn't you see what Hulkquez did to Da Manny? And tell me about way, way back in da day when losing-the-fight real Rocky knocked Jersey Joe Walcott out with one shot? And tell me about what Mike Weaver did to "Big" John Tate who whupped da heck outta him for 14 and 14/15 rounds? And holla at what "Big" (Rev.) George Foreman did to Michael "Double M" Moorer with one shot late in the fight?

'C'mon, the Roast! Now you have the answer. Now get back to posting. DDV said from the start of this contest challenging that you didn't have to post on every stories, because the one and only Radam G does that. Holla at the archives, the Roast. There are no optical illusions in a picking a winner.

Don't get caught in the bull jive of El Dude and King AJ. They were sideshows.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TscxLlhMiig Holla!

Ok Dino, thanks for the long flowing reply. You know I have a short attention span but I did make it all the way through.
    To the question I asked about regarding the judging, I think you are saying that it's up to the individual judge to decide if he will just tally up the good posts and who ever has the most wins or judge each post on its own no matter if the poster posts just once or 100 times. Doesn't sound fair to me but its your contest you can run it as you see fit.
    I'll go back to doing my thing. This place used to be alot more fun.