English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heavys Chris Arreola & Bermane Stiverne Rumble Into L.A.

Heavys Chris Arreola & Bermane Stiverne Rumble Into L.A.

As the two heavyweight sluggers Bermane Stiverne and Chris Arreola stood face to face with each other in the USC Trojan campus, their physical presence alone seemed to energize the air with heavyweight championship fever on Thursday.
    Add a robust looking Don King and the kinetic energy of Dan Goossen, who are two promoters well over six-feet tall, and you have a swirling pool of heavyweight stew.
    Dozens of reporters and photographers converged at Heritage Hall at USC to view the opening press conference for Stiverne and Arreola’s WBC heavyweight title fight on May 10. The collision takes place at the Galen Center. The Goossen-Tutor Promotions and Don King Production will be aired on ESPN.
    Leave it to King to be at his best when it comes to heavyweights. He’s known a few big guys in his time like George Foreman, Evander Holyfield, Mike Tyson, Larry Holmes and of course Muhammad Ali.
    King recalled when he tried to make the fight between Ali and Foreman. He said he walked Foreman a few blocks and listened to what the big Texan had to say. The response was: Ali talked too much and did not want to fight him.
    After mulling it over King told Foreman, “Here’s your chance to shut him up.”
    Foreman took the fight and the world had “The Rumble in the Jungle” in Zaire in Africa in 1974. Now the name of the country has changed and is now called Democratic Republic of the Congo. Time seems to change everything.
    It used to be the heavyweight division was ruled by American heavyweights. But for the last decade or so the brothers Vitali and Wladimir Klitschko took all of the belts and held a tight grip on them. Vitali has recently retired and that opened the door to Americans Arreola and Stiverne.
    “The Klitschko era is coming to an end. Vitali has moved on to more important things in life. Wladimir’s days are numbered also,” said Henry Ramirez, trainer for Arreola.
    As most readers know Vitali Klitschko is involved with his country’s leadership in Ukraine, which is now involved with border issues with neighboring Russia.
    It’s heavyweights now, bellowed King.
    “We got to bring back that type of atmosphere like Frazier and Ali,” said King.
    Arreola was honest about his first performance against Stiverne, in a fight which saw a one-sided win for the Haitian-American heavyweight last April in Ontario, California.
    “Let’s face it. I got my *** kicked,” said Arreola. “I didn’t come in prepared. That’s my fault.”
    King piped in, “What Chris Arreola do you believe," further adding that his fighter Stiverne walked into their first encounter with a bad back and a bad shoulder and still won.
    Stiverne said that he beat Arreola despite the handicaps.
    “That was actually plan B. Plan A was not needed,” said Stiverne, who trains in Las Vegas.
    Arreola gave Stiverne props for taking him out of his game, especially catching him with the uppercut that broke his nose.
    “I can’t throw no lazy jabs. I can’t win a round, then take one off,” said Arreola. “I’m a different beast, a whole lot different now.”
    Goossen and King both pointed toward Arreola’s stunning blow-out victory of Seth Mitchell last year as proof of the Mexican-American’s potential. That victory by the Riverside heavyweight reminded fans that he is one powerful prizefighter.
    Even Stiverne’s manager believes Arreola and Stiverne represent the future of the heavyweight division.
    “I believe these are the two top heavyweights today,” said Camille Estephan, who manages Stiverne.
    The last time a heavyweight world title fight took place in Los Angeles happened when Arreola lost to Vitali Klitschko in 2009. Arreola finally gets a shot again at a world title.
    “It’s not so much what I learned in my last title fight, it’s what I learned in my career,” Arreola told the crowd.
    Regardless of the winner, King says the victor of the heavyweight championship will bring out boxing from the back room to the front parlor.
    “This is a revered moment, it’s the heavyweight world championship,” said King. “It’s SKD something, some kind of different as we say in the ghetto.”
    Goossen added, “There’s something about the heavyweight division that sets it apart from any other division. It’s made boxing the headlines. Fans love the big boys.”
    Why?
    “It says who’s the baddest man on the planet.”
    Tickets
    At 10 a.m. on Friday tickets go on sale for the Arreola-Stiverne fight. Prices range from $25 to $300. Tickets can be purchased at the Galen Center ticket office or by phone at (213) 740-4672. Tickets can also be purchased online at www.GALENTIX.com or www.ticketmaster.com.

Re: Heavys Chris Arreola & Bermane Stiverne Rumble Into L.A.

when it comes to Chris, There always seem to be some type of excuse when he doesn't perform as expected,.. "I ate too many tacos, or I spent too much time hanging out with my buds", He goes into a sobbing self depreciating rant and vows to do better next time and the fans get on board for one more ride.

My question is not how bad Chris is when he's at his worst,... but how good has Chris Arreola really ever been when he's at his best?

Chris should have been at his best against Vitali Klitschko,... and although the bar was raised pretty high in that fight, Chris didn't show us that he was any more capable than the long list of fallen contenders who preceded him....a rogues gallery of no-hopers from Johnson to Peters to woefully overweight Cuban hopeful Odlanier Solis.

The truth is,.. Arreola is solid fighter, he knows how to wait for openings,. he can retaliate successfully while being on the receiving end of incoming offense, and he has a good chin.................. That's It!!! Chris is sorely limited in nearly every other aspect of the game. A big heart and an even bigger appetite can only take a boxer so far.
    Getting outhustled and out boxed by Adamek should have been a clear indicator of how limited Arreola really is in the heavyweight division.

My initial sighting of Stiverne was not in anyway more impressive. In my eyes he seemed slow, lethargic and fundamentally basic.

But watching these two guys together, ....from the comfort of my couch,.... both fighters appear to be equipped with foot and hand speed originating from the same time zones, However it was clear that Stiverne at his core is simply the better fighter in every category. I'm putting away my slide rule and calculator for this one,...
    no long deliberations or extensive internet trolling was needed to come to a unanimous conclusion.

Stiverne wins the rematch in equally impressive fashion setting up a showdown between himself and the kid with wearing more questions marks on his resume than Batman's Riddler.... yours truly Dontay Wilder.

Yeh, I think most of us believe that Bermane Stiverne is gonna' flatten Cris Arreola's nose even more, the go on to face Big D.

Now THAT'S a fight I want to be ringside for!

-Randy G.

Advanced Users

I'm rolling and strolling with Cris. Dude is down in San Diego working out. I saw it with my own eyes. In shock, I had to shout. Holla!

Fine, RG (hey, I'm RG when I'm not The Commish!). In that case, it's gonna' be Arreola v Big D. Ooooh! Love it!

Any idea how much Arreola is weighing? Above 235? Below 235?

If he comes in over 250, I just may have to place him on my list of Heavyweights Who Could Have Been Better, or, said another way: Wasted Talent.

-Randy G.

Advanced Users

He's slim. And arse, he is ready to trim. He looks to be about 2 bucks, three dimes, a nickle and three pennies. B-Ware B-Sti is in deep trouble, and that trouble is gonna double come May. On The Cali Crusher is where my betting bucks will lay. Holla!

I'm with Radam . Bet the house.

235 will be nice. Comish I just watched Russo shut out wilder , before that some bum eastern European whooped him. He is terrible . Sad. Oh and some Russian knocked him out. Breland can't help him. Haymon can.

Stiverne will stop Arreola. There will be no redemption. That's where I put my money. Not to get to clinical, but Arreola's nose is a huge target; should be fun while it lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    when it comes to Chris, There always seem to be some type of excuse when he doesn't perform as expected,.. "I ate too many tacos, or I spent too much time hanging out with my buds", He goes into a sobbing self depreciating rant and vows to do better next time and the fans get on board for one more ride.

My question is not how bad Chris is when he's at his worst,... but how good has Chris Arreola really ever been when he's at his best?

Chris should have been at his best against Vitali Klitschko,... and although the bar was raised pretty high in that fight, Chris didn't show us that he was any more capable than the long list of fallen contenders who preceded him....a rogues gallery of no-hopers from Johnson to Peters to woefully overweight Cuban hopeful Odlanier Solis.

The truth is,.. Arreola is solid fighter, he knows how to wait for openings,. he can retaliate successfully while being on the receiving end of incoming offense, and he has a good chin.................. That's It!!! Chris is sorely limited in nearly every other aspect of the game. A big heart and an even bigger appetite can only take a boxer so far.
    Getting outhustled and out boxed by Adamek should have been a clear indicator of how limited Arreola really is in the heavyweight division.

My initial sighting of Stiverne was not in anyway more impressive. In my eyes he seemed slow, lethargic and fundamentally basic.

But watching these two guys together, ....from the comfort of my couch,.... both fighters appear to be equipped with foot and hand speed originating from the same time zones, However it was clear that Stiverne at his core is simply the better fighter in every category. I'm putting away my slide rule and calculator for this one,...
    no long deliberations or extensive internet trolling was needed to come to a unanimous conclusion.

Stiverne wins the rematch in equally impressive fashion setting up a showdown between himself and the kid with wearing more questions marks on his resume than Batman's Riddler.... yours truly Dontay Wilder.
    Wow. One of the best, most pensive posts I've ever read. Just awesome.

I think you nailed it with this guy. Hs always got a built-in excuse. I think he was at his absolute peak for Klitschko. Why wouldn't he be? I see why you BS with the cans but how can you not getup for the heavyweight championship?

I was going to ask for someone to give me a breakdown of the first fight but you answered everything in here. Thanks a lot