English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Crushing Defeat

  1. #1
    Advanced Users the Roast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Outskirts of Chicago
    Posts
    2,366

    Crushing Defeat

    We have a boxing free Saturday night, so I will try to get something going here. Last night the boxing world was treated to two great fights on NBCSN. I know some of you saw them, those who didn't should go find them. Tureano Johnson and Amir Mansour were both tough luck losers. Johnson had slugged his was to a big lead only to get stopped in the last round by Curtis Stevens. The stoppage was a little quick I thought. By far not the worst one I've seen but hard to swallow for Johnson. Mansour had a lead on the cards after dropping Steve Cunningham twice only to see Cunningham rally back to floor Mansour in the closing seconds of the last round to secure a UD. I shared a story on another thread about a tennis match I lost that still makes me mad when I think about it. I'd like to hear from the TSS crew some stories about your most crushing defeats in boxing or any other sports.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    South Beach
    Posts
    3,599

    Re: Crushing Defeat

    Quote Originally Posted by the Roast View Post
    We have a boxing free Saturday night, so I will try to get something going here. Last night the boxing world was treated to two great fights on NBCSN. I know some of you saw them, those who didn't should go find them. Tureano Johnson and Amir Mansour were both tough luck losers. Johnson had slugged his was to a big lead only to get stopped in the last round by Curtis Stevens. The stoppage was a little quick I thought. By far not the worst one I've seen but hard to swallow for Johnson. Mansour had a lead on the cards after dropping Steve Cunningham twice only to see Cunningham rally back to floor Mansour in the closing seconds of the last round to secure a UD. I shared a story on another thread about a tennis match I lost that still makes me mad when I think about it. I'd like to hear from the TSS crew some stories about your most crushing defeats in boxing or any other sports.
    Nice post!! Excellent topic.

    I'm reminded of one time in a local shopping mall, my sister and I walked past this little soccer contest where you would win a trip to Disney World, all expenses paid for, for you and your family -- IF you could hit the ball through this small hole on this wall in the upper corner.

    It is a highly improbable feat, statistically, though it looked closer to impossible. Like many soccer players, I can hit the top bar of a goal from a far distance all day, juggle the soccer ball as long as I feel like (I think 734 times is my personal best), and hit a moving target with an accurate pass.

    It still looked impossible to me.

    Nevertheless, being a massive Disney fan and avid reader, my sister suggested I give it a shot.

    Now, you would only win if you hit the ball through of those crazy holes. The competition is MC'd by this doofus with an annoying voice, it's watched by just about the entire mall and I'm notoriously shy at this age (not like now where I do the most outrageous things when I "holla" at chicks; my personal favorite is introducing myself to a girl's butt and offering her a big, fat burrito and actually delivering one from a Mexican spot and it actually worked, but I digress...)

    Anyway, there are a bunch of kicks, everyone misses, I get my turn, and I FREAKIN' NAIL THE SHOT!!

    OMG!!!!!

    So I get ecstatic, roll around on the floor screaming in joy, while the MC says "look at this kid. He's having a seizure." I look at my sister who mouths to me, "I guess we're going to Disney World'" which was in Paris where we had never been back then.

    So, naturally, we just have to wait for the last jabronis to either forfeit, go home or just hand that big old check -- similar to the ones they give lottery winners -- to The Shadow.

    By the time the VERY LAST GUY comes up, I think it's over. Ready to go to Disney World, which I had always wanted.

    Except this ugly a$$, canine looking, unccordinat, bloated SOB goes up AND FREAKIN HITS THE SAME SHOT!!!!!!!!!

    It was like air leaving a balloon, man. It shook me up so bad.

    After he hit that bullsh*t, we had to have a shoot-out. A this point I was so mentally shook because how the hell was I going to nail that again?

    I could cinch it with a shot in this less-than-impossible hole which I reckoned I could hit maybe 1/3 times. Of course, when you're shook, those odds plummet.

    I had two or three attempts. If I go for the impossible one and hit it, I win, no questions asked. If I go for the easy one and make it, I also most likely win since no one else had even come close to hitting that.

    Long story short, the jabroni freakin nails TWO of the easy ones in what looks like a freak accident every time it happened (he was no soccer player; he couldn't make any teams and his technique sucked).

    That had to be the most disgusting time for me.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    South Beach
    Posts
    3,599

    Re: Crushing Defeat

    A close second happened a year later in a regional table tennis tournament. One of my best friends had been playing for a while. We would play regularly. I reckon we had played 25 times with me winning every time, including with my left hand.

    The tournament comes up and we have a little falling out so we're not talking. We see each other in school every day, sit damn near next to each other 6-7 hours a day, we don't talk.

    We just so happen to both participate in this tournament. I smoke this one bastard in the semifinal. B some insane circumstance he makes it to the final.

    "Easy gold medal," I think. And we're not talking. I'd wear that sumbitch to school to humiliate him, I think.

    Guess what happens. HE BEATS ME! SILVER MEDAL!! WTF!!!!!!!!

    We have played a variety of games over the years, easily over a hundreds, and he has never, ever beaten me. Except for the time it counted. Lol. Bastard. I love him though. But fockin bastard.

    I always admired guys who could keep cool under pressure. I always seem to drop in performance when it gets to the trenches. Don't let me shoot a free throw with the game on the line in the final seconds...

    Since this, however, I have remained undefeated in foosball.

    And I duck every challenge, while talking smack, by having them play other guys to qualify and justify a shot at my undefeated record in the hopes they wipe them out so I don't have to.

    Sounds familiar?

  4. #4
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,521

    Re: Crushing Defeat

    If Sergio Martinez would have been stopped by Junior in the 12th round, I would have suffered my largest setback in my boxing life. I gave Junior no chance, and boy was both Sergio and me surprised in the middle of the 12th. But I love that fella. Did you see who was punching when that round finally came to an end?

  5. #5
    Advanced Users
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    10,201

    Re: Crushing Defeat

    Ev'ybodee and dey momma here already know my crushing defeat.

    It was when I told Nun Sister Maribeth that she was lucky that she didn't wear pants after she had just slapped me upside my dome.

    WTF! She raised up her nun dress and had on a pair of blue jeans and beat da hebejeebeez outta me. I had da eye of a jack@$$. I was "concussed." Hehe! Holla!

  6. #6
    Advanced Users the Roast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Outskirts of Chicago
    Posts
    2,366

    Re: Crushing Defeat

    Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post
    Ev'ybodee and dey momma here already know my crushing defeat.

    It was when I told Nun Sister Maribeth that she was lucky that she didn't wear pants after she had just slapped me upside my dome.

    WTF! She raised up her nun dress and had on a pair of blue jeans and beat da hebejeebeez outta me. I had da eye of a jack@$$. I was "concussed." Hehe! Holla!
    Be fer real now Radam. When I started this topic I was hoping you and/or deepwater would drop a real deal boxing story. I know you were a world champ boxer but you must have lost a fight in the pros or otherwise that broke your heart. Come on man give it up. Tell the tale of a Radam G crushing defeat!

  7. #7
    Advanced Users the Roast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Outskirts of Chicago
    Posts
    2,366

    Re: Crushing Defeat

    Two great stories the Shadow. I appreciate the response. Every athlete at any level that lays it on the line on the reg gets beat. I like the part where you talked about playing left handed. I used to play my buddies left handed at racquetball just to make it fair and I would still always win. Again, great stories. I was just starting to get pissed at the lack of participation when you got the ball rolling.

  8. #8
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,521

    Re: Crushing Defeat

    In the 6th grade I had a 120 year old nun that had me in a choke hold, and my body must have been flailing to the point she thought I was trying to strike here to get free, or at least that's what my friends told me. She let go and jumped back. I was close to going but I didn't, and I didn't tap either. I think it was like almost 30 years later after she was relocated to South America that one of her class pets, a young Royce Gracie took some of the moves she showed him, and found a bit of success with them. She'd a been about 149, 150 by this point. If I'm exaggerating it's only by a year or two.

  9. #9
    Advanced Users the Roast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Outskirts of Chicago
    Posts
    2,366

    Re: Crushing Defeat

    Quote Originally Posted by dino da vinci View Post
    In the 6th grade I had a 120 year old nun that had me in a choke hold, and my body must have been flailing to the point she thought I was trying to strike here to get free, or at least that's what my friends told me. She let go and jumped back. I was close to going but I didn't, and I didn't tap either. I think it was like almost 30 years later after she was relocated to South America that one of her class pets, a young Royce Gracie took some of the moves she showed him, and found a bit of success with them. She'd a been about 149, 150 by this point. If I'm exaggerating it's only by a year or two.
    Dino you crazy nut, what sports did you play in your life? Did you box?

    You know I am a sore loser. I hate to lose at anything. As a kid a quit baseball cuz I was a good pitcher, no, a great pitcher and I would lose my mind when a kid would let a ball go through his legs or throw a routine grounder over the first baseman's head. "I'm doing all the work and you can't pick up a ball and throw it to first?" I had to get away from team sports. I tried boxing as a 14 and 15 year old but I didn't like getting punched in the face. This lead me to hang up the gloves and pick up a racquet.

    What about you Dino?

  10. #10
    Advanced Users
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    10,201

    Re: Crushing Defeat

    In the amateurs and pros, I won and lost. And knew it. I never had a crushing defeat.

    If so, it would be my 13th amateur bout with Joey Rosales. From eight to 15 years old, I kicked his arse 12 times in a roll, and was robbed in bout 13.

    I was disappointed -- not crushed -- because we fought at Playboy Palace in Cali. A lot of the big stars were out.

    Losing to me is a learning thing -- not crushing one.

    I'm one of those cats that nothing in boxing can crush or surprise me. We deal with seediness, shadiness and sneakiness; all "the theatre of the unexpected." Holla!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •