English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wrestlemania XXX

Wrestlemania XXX

I am off to my cousin's house to watch Wrestlmania XXX. A bunch of us get together every year for 'Mania. It's more about the hanging out than the wrestling. I know the Shadow is a wrestling guy and I remember DonPuto69 was into it. Not much chance of DP69 getting on unless he sneaks into the Warden's office and logs on to his computer. If anyone wants to talk about WWE do so here. Talk to you later peeps.

tR

Re: Wrestlemania XXX

Quote Originally Posted by the Roast View Post
    I am off to my cousin's house to watch Wrestlmania XXX. A bunch of us get together every year for 'Mania. It's more about the hanging out than the wrestling. I know the Shadow is a wrestling guy and I remember DonPuto69 was into it. Not much chance of DP69 getting on unless he sneaks into the Warden's office and logs on to his computer. If anyone wants to talk about WWE do so here. Talk to you later peeps.

tR
    Nice! Way to clear the other threads of wrestling clutter!

Undertaker > Brock Lesnar via Hell's Gate.

tR
    My dad brought me to wrestlemania 1 at MSG . Andre slammed big John stud and mr T and hogan beat piper and orndorff . Memory of a lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by deepwater2 View Post
    my dad brought me to wrestlemania 1 at msg . Andre slammed big john stud and mr t and hogan beat piper and orndorff . Memory of a lifetime
    nice!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by deepwater2 View Post
    My dad brought me to wrestlemania 1 at MSG . Andre slammed big John stud and mr T and hogan beat piper and orndorff . Memory of a lifetime
    Mr T best villain in cinema history!

I can't f*cking believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    I can't f*cking believe it.
    That was a shocker! The Streak is over! As good old JR would say,"No! Not like this!" That beginning was great with the Hulkster, Stone Cold and then the Rock.

That was a shocker! The Streak is over! As good old JR would say,"No! Not like this!" That beginning was great with the Hulkster, Stone Cold and then the Rock.
    Yeah, that was epic.

Entire Wing House (Hooters type spot with some bad chicas serving food, Shadow likes) was in shock. Happy I didn't go to New Orleans, I would've been pissed.

Also didn't realize what an impact Daniel Bryan has on -- pardon my words if they are a bit crude -- geeks and the less socially cool.

These guys in there that pretty much looked like, ah, I can't even say it without sounding like an a-hole!!!! Anyway, they were so ecstatic, Bryan was like a hero to them. Running around the places screaming yes.

My date, very fashion conscious, looked at one guy and said, "I think he's mentally challenged," but I explained to her, "no, he just doesn't care for fashion."

As Stephanie McMahon slapped Bryan, that same dude turned to me and screamed out, "WOMEN BELONG IN A KITCHEN!! GET BACK WHERE YOU BELONG!!" Then he turned to my companion and said, "no offense."

Even as a group of sexy girls walked in -- and me, I'm a hound, I gotta scout the talent-- he looked at them not even for a millisecond and went right back to watching his boy Bryan.

Speaking of the match, was it just me, or did it look JUST like Wrestlemania 20? Beat two guys, with the same move, little dude who no one expects to win, confetti....

Was eerily similar to Benoit, wasn't it?

So what happened exactly in Wrestlemania? What streak is over? I used to be a die hard wrestling fan when I was younger but I stopped watching. One of my buddies still follows it and he was pissed on facebook and twitter, calling out Brock Lesnar lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Carmine Cas View Post
    So what happened exactly in Wrestlemania? What streak is over? I used to be a die hard wrestling fan when I was younger but I stopped watching. One of my buddies still follows it and he was pissed on facebook and twitter, calling out Brock Lesnar lol.
    Brock Lesnar beat the Undertaker who's basically been undefeated since 1991. Since it's scripted, no one expected him to ever lose.

Hs undefeated streak -- The Streak -- had risen to mythical proportions.

To give you an example, Editor Mike on twitter last night fell victim to some of the same stuff he condemns. He didn't understand why people were all carried away over something that was scripted.

What he failed to understand was that it doesn't matter that it is scripted. It's hardly the point. The emotional connection you feel with these guys is just as big or BIGGER than what we see with boxers.

When I was six years old, on my 6th birthday to be exact, my favorite Hulk Hogan lost at Wrestlemania to the a Ultimate Warrior. Hulk Hogan had never lost.

I cried.

Later that year, the Undertaker came on the scene. He was soooooo scary. He later became a fan favorite. But he was still scary.

So he becomes a part of your childhood.

26 years later, at Wrestlemania 28 on my 28th birthday, we see Undertaker beat Triple H, with Shawn Michaels as the referee -- a guy I've watched since I was 4! -- and they have a moment together.

My friends and I, it's like our childhood has come full circle, and that very moment marks the end of that childhood.

It's hard to explain, man. When Undertaker lost last night, it is as if your childhood is robbed from you because the emotional connection you have to this character, your belief in him as a superhero, is gone.

This is the same reason it is so sad to see Muhammad Ali get pummeled by Larry Holmes.

If it was just two random ****** in there, who would give a sh*t?!

Unlike boxing, the connection you have with your heroes is rarely, if ever, based on ethnicity, culture and so forth. It brings everyone together.

And yes, while it is scripted, and therefore not "real" in the sporting sense, boxing isn't really that "real" either.

We don't feel their blows; we watch for the ENTERTAINMENT and for the emotional roller coaster a good boxing match can take us on.

Wrestling is no different. The brain can't distinguish between fantasy and reality. Nor does reality dictate emotional connection. This is why Hollywood is even in business.

I think that's the point Editor Mike was missing. Not dissing him but he simply didn't have an emotional attachment to the event, which is why he understandably wonders, "wtf is wrong with these people? It's scripted for crying out loud?!"

Boxing is, too. That's why there are matchmakers. With the exception of the actual bout, 90% of the fights, if not more, everything is created to ensure one guy walks out victorious.

90% of the time it happens.

As far as last night, it was tough to see this dude, the symbol of immortality, limp around old and broken down from years and years of ring wars.

(Just like it was tough to see the ultimate idol, the symbol of eternal youth -- in our minds anyway -- stand in the ring vs. Tevor Berbick and not be able to just Ali shuffle and knock him out in 7.)

In a way, it's a harsh reminder that not only are we no longer children -- which we get to be while Wrestlemania is on -- we are mortal too.

I think that is why there was such a strong reaction to this "insignificant scripted fight."