English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Anyone Here Follow MMA With the Same Enthusiasm as Boxing ??

Does Anyone Here Follow MMA With the Same Enthusiasm as Boxing ??

MMA, or at least the UFC brand of it, has surpassed boxing in global popularity. I was aware of the numbers, but it never really hit home until former UFC star Chuck Liddell turned up as the answer to a trivia question on the TV game show "Jeopardy."

I have yet to meet a boxing fan of my vintage who follows MMA closely. The late, great Bert Sugar had no use for it. "It's really bad boxing," he said, "combined with one guy sitting on top of another, punching him in the face. Where's the martial part? Where's the arts part?" (I pilfered this quote from Allen Barra's obit of Sugar in the online edition of the Atlantic Monthly.)

Flipping through the TV the other night I stumbled on a female MMA fight and it was exactly as Sugar described it -- and completely unwatchable.

There's definitely some talent in MMA. I don't doubt that guys like Liddell, Anderson Silva, Georges St. Pierre, and Jon Jones could have transitioned successfully to boxing. But I just can't get into it -- and it's right here in my backyard. Then again, I'm a traditionalist so maybe it's just me. I'm still pissed that there's a designated hitter in baseball, and that's been around for 40 years.

Re: Does Anyone Here Follow MMA With the Same Enthusiasm as Boxing ??

Quote Originally Posted by ArneK. View Post
    MMA, or at least the UFC brand of it, has surpassed boxing in global popularity. I was aware of the numbers, but it never really hit home until former UFC star Chuck Liddell turned up as the answer to a trivia question on the TV game show "Jeopardy."

I have yet to meet a boxing fan of my vintage who follows MMA closely. The late, great Bert Sugar had no use for it. "It's really bad boxing," he said, "combined with one guy sitting on top of another, punching him in the face. Where's the martial part? Where's the arts part?" (I pilfered this quote from Allen Barra's obit of Sugar in the online edition of the Atlantic Monthly.)

Flipping through the TV the other night I stumbled on a female MMA fight and it was exactly as Sugar described it -- and completely unwatchable.

There's definitely some talent in MMA. I don't doubt that guys like Liddell, Anderson Silva, Georges St. Pierre, and Jon Jones could have transitioned successfully to boxing. But I just can't get into it -- and it's right here in my backyard. Then again, I'm a traditionalist so maybe it's just me. I'm still pissed that there's a designated hitter in baseball, and that's been around for 40 years.
    Nope. Don't like it. I'm friendly with coach Ray Longo and Matt Serra though and I respect that these guys train nonstop. As far as the sport I find it hard to watch. It's not a street fight either because if you try and bend an arm in a street fight an eye is getting poked out or something worse since there are no rules. I actually will be going by my friends in a week or so for some mma fight party but it's just to catch up with old friends not the actual fights for me. We will argue all night about which is more entertaining boxing or mma and there never is a winner. He won't concede. This is the same guy that used to have everyone over for boxing. De la Hoya fights,Trinidad fights,Tyson fights,Roy Jones fights. I brought him and his son to the GGG Stevens fight and they loved it so maybe there is hope that he will come back as a big fan.

Administrator

We were combining shows in CR and I'd have to say without a doubt the MMA bouts had much more overall action.

I once went to a Billy Joel/Elton John concert. I happen to be the worlds biggest Billy Joel fan. If I was to have scored it fairly, I would have to have given it to John in a close effort. Maybe it's the iconic Benny and the Jets and Saturday Night is alright for Fighting, but the energy ticked up just a tinsy winsy bit. Hey, on second thought, let me score it for Joel.

That said, there's something romantic about boxing that I've never really been able to put my finger on the why of it.

MMA is not. Nor do I find any other discipline to be so. Also, I'm not so sure UFC/MMA is bigger globally than boxing.

It definitely isn't, Dino.

Boxing is definitely bigger globally, not that there's a competition between the two. I don't know how this boxing vs MMA stuff started. They are more complementary products than competing products.

A good analogy is Formula One vs. Tour De France. It's both racing but totally different means, rules and so forth. Or badminton and tennis. Or even tennis and table tennis.

MMA is still establishing itself globally. Right now, while growing, from a mainstream sports perspective, it's as obscure as can be, as fringe as fringe gets. Just call them WBO.

Domestically, however, the UFC the benefit of having a platform and a pretty loyal fan base. But I think that has more to do with the UFC brand rather than the sport itself.

Beyond Dana White's promotional powerhouse, I don't think casual fans bother to watch whatever other leagues exist out there.

Not to mention, boxing has a rich history. Part of the allure and appeal of boxing, I believe, is the element of nostalgia; being able to look at today's fighters and compare them to the icons of yesteryear.

I was watching Ali-Quarry 2 the other day. In those days, they would bring in old champions, for that whole nostlgia effect tht everyone eats up.

A lightweight champion by the name of Roberto Duran was fighting on the undercard. Just before the fight, some (historically fringe) former lightweight champion, whose name escapes me, was introduced.

Yet as he was introduced, the announcer said, "surely he would take out the current champion Duran with rather ease." I'm paraphrasing a bit since I don't remember it verbatim but that was the gist of it.

That speaks to that nostalgia element, too. Of course, you have barbershop chats like the famous scene in Coming To America.

MMA doesn't have that same cultural and historical wealth. It doesn't elicit the same type of emotion.

But then again, it's a completely different sport, still evolving, still finding its identity.

I think the UFC people were smart to cap bouts at 25 minutes, maximum.

A lot of people beefed when boxing went from 15 to 12 rounds for title fights, but I remember Ring historian Herbert G. Goldman predicting that any future changes would continue the downward trend. New technologies seem to have reduced our attention span.

It's a funny thing about "time." It's quantifiable but also subjective. A robust 12-round fight, e.g., Barrera-Morales (pick one), goes by in a snap. A fight with mostly posing and/or clinching seemingly takes forever.

A British writer (I forget his name) likened watching a really dull fight to standing on a train platform on a frigid day awaiting a late-arriving train.

Administrator

Wrong mod, Shadow. That was supposed to be delivered for the last one. Probably why you didn't chart. :-/

Just say in'

Quote Originally Posted by dino da vinci View Post
    Wrong mod, Shadow. That was supposed to be delivered for the last one. Probably why you didn't chart. :-/

Just say in'
    You're right.

Quote Originally Posted by ArneK. View Post
    I think the UFC people were smart to cap bouts at 25 minutes, maximum.

A lot of people beefed when boxing went from 15 to 12 rounds for title fights, but I remember Ring historian Herbert G. Goldman predicting that any future changes would continue the downward trend. New technologies seem to have reduced our attention span.

It's a funny thing about "time." It's quantifiable but also subjective. A robust 12-round fight, e.g., Barrera-Morales (pick one), goes by in a snap. A fight with mostly posing and/or clinching seemingly takes forever.

A British writer (I forget his name) likened watching a really dull fight to standing on a train platform on a frigid day awaiting a late-arriving train.
    It really does. A 12-round fight is really 12 battles in one, by virtue of the scoring system, where different stories can unfold, which lends itself well to riveting drama.

The original UFC bouts -- intrigued by the barbaric violence, I remember buying a UFC DVD in London featuring Ken Shamrock -- were really just long and boring unless it was a mismatch. Then it would end spectacularly. (But isn't that the case in boxing also?)

I think this is why they cut it from 30 minutes of continuity to avoid the dreadful monotony of hugging.

Even as I practiced BJJ, which I started about six years ago, and could gain an artistic appreciation for their grappling, it's still boring as hell. Just like soccer is fun to play but boring to watch.

MMA is ever-evolving but seems to finding its identity nicely.

Advanced Users

NO! I'm not a follower of MMA/UFC. Holla!

What ever happened to the original bastard son of the Sweet Science, the Savage Science? The Savage Science was billed as our sister site and was dedicated to MMA. The Savage Science site was lost after the great format change and never returned.

I am not a big fan of MMA/UFC. I enjoyed Strikeforce for a year or so on Showtime. I discovered the Queen of the armbar Ronda Rousey there. She is a charismatic performer with her tap or snap motto. A pretty girl with a big smile and the ability to break arms. If women's boxing could produce a star like Ronda we would see women's boxing on TV. Sadly, Dana White bought Strikeforce and shut it down. He created a weight class and gave Ronda that belt. She only appears on PPV now. He will use Ronda until she loses or gets out to persue other intrests. That's another thing I don't like about MMA. Its a monopoly.