English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxers Nicknames? Do You Have a Favorite?

Boxers Nicknames? Do You Have a Favorite?

Nicknames have been prevalent in boxing since the very beginning of the sport as a commercial amusement?

Do you have a favorite? And before you answer, let's eliminate the easy alliterations, which rules out Marvelous Marvin, Ferocious Fernando, Homicide Hank, Terrible Tim, etc. Those aren't very creative.

Re: Boxers Nicknames? Do You Have a Favorite?

Mike McCallum-The Bodysnatcher

During my USA Network "Tuesday Night at the Fights" days, there was a light heavyweight out of the Florida area by the name of Guy Sonnenberg. In his high school years, he was known as the school bully. He especially cherished whupping up on the druggies, the losers, the weirdos and even the nerds. He became known as "The Freak Beater." It was a name which followed him into the ring, but a name he detested, as he said he had changed his demeanor by the time he turned pro. Although he tried to shake the nickname, he was forever known as "The Freak Beater."

Another Floridian fighter at that time was Harvey Hester. He was known as "Hester the Molester." He had to drop the nickname when he was accused of doing exactly that to a woman.

Two outstanding cutmen were the recipients of nicknames nicknames I made up for them. One was Ralph Citro. The other was Eddie Aliano. I nicknamed Ralph, "Close the Cut Citro," while Aliano I nicknamed "The Clot." While announcing fights in the '80's, the NBC broadcast team of Marv Albert and Dr. Ferdie Pacheco used to regularly refer to him when his handiwork was being shown on camera as "Eddie 'The Clot' Aliano."

I can't think of perennial loser of the 1980's, Bruce Strauss, as anything but "Mouse Strauss."

One nickname I made up in 2013 is beginning to catch on. I dropped it on red-hot U.S. Olympic light heavyweight Marcus Browne, who is currently sporting a 10 record and looking like a given to win at least one world title belt in 2015. After watching Browne dispatch yet another opponent with a vicious body shot, I began calling him "The Liver Killer." I may change that spelling to "The Liva' Killa'," but, either way, you get the picture.

Then there's heavyweight king Wladimir Klitschko. Since his last (non) fight, where he initiated 171 clinches, I took to calling him "Klinchko." I've noticed that most of my listeners now call him "Klinchko" whenever they call.

-Randy G.

Quote Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
    During my USA Network "Tuesday Night at the Fights" days, there was a light heavyweight out of the Florida area by the name of Guy Sonnenberg. In his high school years, he was known as the school bully. He especially cherished whupping up on the druggies, the losers, the weirdos and even the nerds. He became known as "The Freak Beater." It was a name which followed him into the ring, but a name he detested, as he said he had changed his demeanor by the time he turned pro. Although he tried to shake the nickname, he was forever known as "The Freak Beater."

Another Floridian fighter at that time was Harvey Hester. He was known as "Hester the Molester." He had to drop the nickname when he was accused of doing exactly that to a woman.

Two outstanding cutmen were the recipients of nicknames nicknames I made up for them. One was Ralph Citro. The other was Eddie Aliano. I nicknamed Ralph, "Close the Cut Citro," while Aliano I nicknamed "The Clot." While announcing fights in the '80's, the NBC broadcast team of Marv Albert and Dr. Ferdie Pacheco used to regularly refer to him when his handiwork was being shown on camera as "Eddie 'The Clot' Aliano."

I can't think of perennial loser of the 1980's, Bruce Strauss, as anything but "Mouse Strauss."

One nickname I made up in 2013 is beginning to catch on. I dropped it on red-hot U.S. Olympic light heavyweight Marcus Browne, who is currently sporting a 10 record and looking like a given to win at least one world title belt in 2015. After watching Browne dispatch yet another opponent with a vicious body shot, I began calling him "The Liver Killer." I may change that spelling to "The Liva' Killa'," but, either way, you get the picture.

Then there's heavyweight king Wladimir Klitschko. Since his last (non) fight, where he initiated 171 clinches, I took to calling him "Klinchko." I've noticed that most of my listeners now call him "Klinchko" whenever they call.

-Randy G.

Commish, maybe I missed it but when and where is your show on?

My favorite nicknames tend to be my own nicknames for fighters lol.

Besides those, there are some awesome ones, too many to mention.

So I'm gonna name some of the worst I know.

"Twinkle Fingers" Joey Hernandez. MENACING!

Cornflake. (Corny)

Leila "She Be Stingin'." Sad attempt at being clever and cute.

Erislandy "The American Dream" Lara is just pathetic. DeCubas or whoever is trying way too hard.

The Quiet Man John Ruiz. Yeah, that puts fear in the hearts of men!

Bernard "The Terror" Hopkins. That nickname still cracks me up for some reason.

The Problem is a cool name.

Dr. Steelhammer is pretty freakin awesome.

I gotta say, I love the "Liva Killa!" lol that gets me chuckling.

Imagine being in the other corner when you're already nervous and self doubt is creeping in and the ring announcer yells "the LIVAA KILLAAAAAA...!"

They might crap their pants.

"Bazooka" Limon, Wilbert "the Vampire" Johnson, "SchoolBoy" Bobby Chacon of the top of my 80's lovin head.

Advanced Users

_____ "Kid Rapido" _____! Hahaha! Jerry "The Mauler of Mass." Lucas. "Chop chip" Corey. "Michigan Ice" McCory. "The Viper" Forrest. "Haymaker" Hate. Tyson "Fist of" Fury. "Old Mongoose" Moorer. "Master of Misery" Moore. "Scrap Iron" Johnson. "Neon" Leon Sprinks. "Louisville Lip" Clay. "The Night Train" Liston. "Stepper" Harris. "The Radar" Benitez. "Too Sharp" Johnson. "Hawk Time" Pryor. "Macho Time" Camacho. "Too Tall" Johnson. "Iron" Mike Tyson. "Smokin'" Joe Frazier. Holla!

Manos De Piedra has to be up there. Smokin' too. What about Juaan "The Hispanic Causin' Panic" Luzcano. Vinny Paz aka "The Pazmanian Devil".

RG dropped a whole lot of nice ones, those are a few I can think of. I guess my current favourite is the Siberian Rocky (or as I prefer to call him the Mansi Mauler).

Another one just came to me as I posted, Michael "Second to" Nunn!

Oh, I forgot to mention the name I have always used for Mike Tyson, other than "Iron." From the time he turned pro in 1985, I called him "Catskill Thunder." In writer Peter Heller's book on Tyson--"Bad Intentions: The Mike Tyson Story"--Heller makes mention of my nickname. Tyson always tells me he loved it when he heard me call him that on TV.

The Good Doctor: My show is on SiriusXM Radio every Monday & Friday from 6-8pm (ET) on channel 92 and on the SiriusXM app. My co-host is former heavyweight contender "Gentleman" Gerry Cooney.

"Gentleman" Gerry. See. There's another nickname!

-Randy G.
    Last edited by The Commish; 04-24-2014 at 05:47 AM.