English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remember What I Said About The Reason For Oscar's Olive Branch To Arum? #AA

Remember What I Said About The Reason For Oscar's Olive Branch To Arum? #AA

A few months ago, we were discussing the Oscar De La Hoya reaching out to promotional archival Bob Arum over the holidays via Twitter -- and what it could mean to possibly thawing the Cold War.

As I said then, I believed ultimately meant nothing, seeing as De La Hoya's gesture was simply one of the vital steps of his 12-step recovery program; the step where you make amends and peace with those you have beef with, regardless if you were to blame or not.

Now, De La Hoya has gone on the record himself and confirmed his motivation publicly.

"It was a must, De La Hoya said. "I have a program that I'm following that is making me a bigger person, a better person, a person that is honest, a person that really just wants to make amends to whoever I owe amends to and I owe amends to Bob Arum."

While it is certainly admirable, the harsh reality is this: Oscar De La Hoya's health conflicts directly with his business life.

This is why he has become a liability to shareholders and stakeholders alike.

While I suspected this may have caused slight disagreements between the Golden Boy principals, I didn't expect the issue to be the crux of a potential internal implosion.

Who knows, we might see De La Hoya take the fighters he has under contract to Arum...

"I want to give him a hug and tell him, 'Hey, thank you. Thank you for what you did throughout my whole career.'

"I haven't done that. I'm going to do it. And then, maybe, who knows what happens after that," De La Hoya added.

Make no mistake about it: Robert Arum can and will play De La Hoya, a man Arum has no respect for as a businessman, like it's NOTHING!

Pacquiao vs. Canelo? C'mon...

(Interesting sidebar: the very same reporter -- who's based in LA, coincidentally -- to whom he gave this Pac-Canelo/end the Cold War exclusive is the same reporter he was on the outs with -- publicly and privately -- because The Golden Boy considered said reporter a shill for Arum. #amends #AA)

This is some Dallas/Dynasty sh*t unfolding right before our eyes.
    Last edited by The Shadow; 04-24-2014 at 10:41 PM.

Re: Remember What I Said About The Reason For Oscar's Olive Branch To Arum? #AA

Shadow,
    Quick question. What is the problem between Golden Boy Productions and HBO ?

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Shadow,
    Quick question. What is the problem between Golden Boy Productions and HBO ?
    The head of HBO sports Ken Hershman doesn't want to air their fights. He got petty after Mayweather signed with Showtime and felt the need to retaliate. That simple.

Blinded by his power, he, and many media, thought GBP would suffer and ultimately be more reasonable once HBO again would hold the leverage.

Since he once ran Showtime, he figured their budget would run dry and would no longer be able to accommodate all the GBP fighters.

Instead the opposite happened, HBO has a struggling boxing franchise and their budget, by all accounts, has been reduced.

Stupid move.

Then again, hindsight is 20/20.

Moving forward, I'm sure Hershman will do an admirable job. He excels in his current role.
    Last edited by The Shadow; 04-24-2014 at 11:40 PM.

I do think Hershman is kicking himself for tossing Golden Boy aside. He certainly believed HBO's budget was substantially bigger and that GBP could not survive on Showtime alone (esp since he used to run Showtime Sports). He foresaw fighters attempting to jump ship due to not getting the fights or purses they desired. But that did not happen.

That said, eventually one of the two sides (HBO and Showtime) has to blink. They both need each other and know it. But both sides are being very stubborn at the moment and don't want to be the first to blink.

As for Oscar/Arum, well I think there is a lot more to this story that has yet to come out. There certainly seems to be something going on within Golden Boy but exactly what that is nobody can be certain. As for any Golden Boy/Top Ranks staged events together (with the exception of those forced by a sanctioning body), I will not get my hopes up and will only believe it when I see it happen.

Our opinions do not matter . The critics do not count. The men in the arena count. It does not matter how they got to this point in time , the important thing is they are here at this point in time. TR and the owner of GBP are talking again. The owner of GBP wants to do business with TR and make the fights the fans want. As a fan of the best fights I am very happy. Changes are coming to GBP ,The thorn in the side of good things happening is The Swiss cheese banker. After the Mayweather fight I see some big announcements.

Arum said he was happy to have such discussions, saying the cold-war “baloney” never had anything to do with him and De La Hoya.

“Last I checked, I was CEO,” Schaefer said. “Unless Oscar wants to change that. … I’ve been running Golden Boy since the beginning. If he wants to change that, since he’s the majority shareholder, and decides he wants to fire me, I can’t stop that.”
    Despite recent rumors of a possible rift that could force Schaefer out, he said he’s not worried about being fired.
    “I’m confident of who I am and what I’ve achieved,” Schaefer said.
    De La Hoya said Schaefer is under contract until 2018, and described recent turbulence between the pair as behind them, with everything “peaches and cream” now. Well … “I have no interest in dealing with Bob Arum,” Schaefer said.
    Could De La Hoya then tell Schaefer to sit out of the negotiations and let a Golden Boy-Top Rank fight proceed?
    “That’s not the way businesses work,” Schaefer said. “You hire someone to run your business, you let them run the business. You don’t tell your CEO to sit this one out. You either have them run your business or you don’t.”
    Schaefer said his business model doesn’t include plans to make fights with Top Rank.
    “We’ve delivered big fights,” Schaefer said. “Arum is up and down, switch on and off. You saw him ripping MGM [over Mayweather signage in the hotel on Pacquiao fight week earlier this month]. Then he thinks he can come back and say, ‘Hey guys, I want to make a fight here.’ It doesn’t work like that. He rips Mayweather, says people should boycott his [May 3] fight, then says we should sit down and talk about [a Pacquiao] fight. It doesn’t work like that.
    Last edited by deepwater2; 04-25-2014 at 09:31 AM.

Very interesting scenario building here. Ya' gotta' keep in mind the internal strife which is going on at GBP. While it looked like Oscar & Richard were seeing a marriage counselor months ago, it now looks as if they are seeing a Mediation Counselor, heading for Divorce Court. Oscar may be moving into position for the next phase of his life.

Ken Hershmann will be a guest on my show in the next few weeks. Wonder what the boxing landscape will look like then, as a bunch of major fights will have taken place by then.

Stay tuned!

-Randy G.

The Arum-DLH break-up was acrimonious, but I gleaned seeds of an eventual reconciliation from an incident in 2001. In the aftermath of his fight with Arturo Gatti, Oscar rambled on about defeating "one of the biggest Jews to come out of Harvard."

When someone slurs Arum, he fires right back with a caustic retort, but this time he let it slide. "I was around the kid and his family for eight years and there was not a hint of (anti-Semitism)," he told reporter Kevin Iole, "and my antenna is up for that kind of crap." This suggested to me that Arum still had a warm spot in his heart, if only a smidgen, for his "prodigal son." And by the way, DLH later apologized for his remark.

Will Arum and Golden Boy mend fences and do a co-promotion sometime down the road? If Arum can keep his health, I think that's a good bet.

If he doesn't then the next generation will have to... I think he will and Bob will take all the credit for it... Which is fine by me. I just want to see the fights this eventual reunion can potentially produce.

FYI, and FWIW, the LA-based reporter to whom he gave this end Cold War/Canelo-Pacquiao exclusive is the same reporter who Oscar has been on the outs with -- publicly and privately.

Just another little subplot. #AA

Interesting quotes, Deep. Where did you find that?

I think Schaefer is right and calling it like it is. There is no way you are sincere about a partnership with Party B if you're encouraging the public to boycott Party B's event to take money out of Party B's pocket.

Thinking so is just foolish. Let's keep it real.

Whatever we may think of the principals, fact is Richard Schaefer has almost single-handedly brought GBP from idea to top promoter.

Small minds and "wantrepreneurs" tend to overestimate the value of an idea. There is a long way from idea to business. It's all about execution, which Oscar ironically has said himself, so he should know.

While he's been in multiple rehab stints, embroiled in scandal after scandal, fighting personal demons while working on a part-time basis, Schaefer has taken GBP to the top faster than any other promoter in recent years, if ever.

Schaefer deserves credit for that.

Those quotes suggest that Schaefer has the infrastructure in place to prepare for such a split.

Oscar may have Canelo under contract, who is a huge asset for the future. But what if Haymon successfully snatches Julio Jr.?

They've essentially traded franchise players. And at some point, Canelo's contract will expire.

And he can still sign with Haymon.

Oscar needs to think this through.

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    If he doesn't then the next generation will have to... I think he will and Bob will take all the credit for it... Which is fine by me. I just want to see the fights this eventual reunion can potentially produce.
    Exactly. I don't care who gets the better end of the business deal.

I want to see Canelo Vs Bradley(bradley fought in the high 50's as an amateur i've read), Pacman Vs Broner and Matthyse vs Provodnikov as a triple header. After that happens, I will forgive both parties and be happy with boxing once again. Haha....
    Anyone second this motion?