English Espańol
Advertisement
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Floyd Mayweather Figures Out Argentina’s Marcos Maidana Late In Fight

Floyd Mayweather Figures Out Argentina’s Marcos Maidana Late In Fight

LAS VEGAS-Floyd “Money” Mayweather sweated out a close victory over the rugged fighting Argentine Marcos “Chino” Maidana by majority decision on Saturday.
    A rematch may be in store.
    Few expected the fight to be as closely fought but Mayweather (46-0, 26 Kos) had probably never seen before the overhand blows that Maidana (35-4, 31 Kos) used with impunity before 16,268 fans at the MGM Garden Arena. It took the clever WBC and WBA welterweight champion half of the fight to figure out where to duck and move.
    “He really came to fight,” said Mayweather, 37. “He had an awkward style, he was a difficult guy to fight.”
    The clumsy looking but effective style of Maidana scored in the first two rounds with overhand rights that looked like scorpion stings and landed often on the back of Mayweather’s head. By the third round Mayweather began to find the mark for his patented right hand leads, but Maidana seemed unaffected. In many ways it reminded some of the Ricardo Mayorga-Vernon Forrest fights a decade earlier.
    During some wild exchanges that saw elbows flying and overhand rights in round four, Mayweather emerged with a cut over his left eye. It had been years that the Las Vegas boxer had suffered a cut. He’s rarely hit but he was confused by the awkwardness of Maidana who landed more blows than any previous opponent, at 221 blows connected.
    Mayweather finally scored a clear cut round in the sixth with some perfectly timed right counters and several left hooks. But Maidana still remained dangerous and was able to score too.
    Flashes of the Mayweather speed were apparent in the seventh round as he fired a four-punch combination and slipped away easily. Maidana fired back but his blows were stymied by Mayweather’s defense.
    Mayweather began to work the body with stiff jabs and some left hooks. It seemed to bother the Argentine, who backed off a bit. From that point on Mayweather began to control the fight from the outside with pinpoint counter rights and lefts. Maidana never allowed him to feel comfortable and kept the fight interesting.
    “I was in a tough competitive fight,” Mayweather said. “I take nothing away from him. I couldn’t see for two rounds after the head butt. Real champions adapt to anything.”
    One judge scored it a draw 114-114, but two others saw Mayweather winning 117-111 and 116-112.
    “I thought I won,” said Maidana. “He did not fight like a man like I expected him to.”
    Mayweather said he would be interested in a rematch with the rugged Argentinian.
    “If the fans want to see it we can do it again,” said Mayweather.
    Unlike Broner, who never was able to figure out Maidana, the Las Vegas speedster kept the fight in the middle of the ring and shot rights to the head and body. It kept Maidana from attempting bull rushes as in the first half of the fight.
    Richard Schaefer, CEO for Golden Boy Promotions, said it was the most blows ever landed against Mayweather in a prize fight.
    Mayweather, considered the undisputed best fighter in boxing at any weight class, is approaching the record of Rocky Marciano as the most wins by a world champion from the U.S. without ever experiencing a loss in his career.
    Other bouts
    United Kingdom’s Amir “King” Khan (29-3, 19 Kos) showed how to win the Mayweather sweepstakes by dominating former welterweight world champion Luis Collazo (35-6, 18 Kos) with three knockdowns in winning by unanimous decision.
    “He was pretty awkward,” said Khan about the left-handed Collazo of Brooklyn. “People want to see a fight between Mayweather and me. Styles make fights. I beat him (Collazo) convincingly.”
    All three judges scored it for Khan at 119-104 twice and 117-106
    Adrien “The Problem” Broner (28-1, 22 Kos) defeated Carlos Molina (17-2, 7 Kos) by unanimous decision after 10 rounds. It was his first time fighting at junior welterweight.
    “It was just a sparring match on TV,” said Broner, who is often compared to Mayweather.
    Molina was very on point with his response.
    “I thought I stayed in there too much,” said Molina, who had not fought in 18 months since losing to Amir Khan in 2012. “He was tricky to time the jab.”
    Speedy J’Leon Love (18-0, 10 Kos) survived a brutal fifth round which saw him floored with several big blows from Mexico’s Marco Antonio Periban (20-2-1, 13 Kos). Referee Jay Nady made a signal to stop and then shoved the Mexican fighter across the ring. “I thought he called off the fight,” said Periban. Love survived by holding and then returned to jabbing and moving for the remainder of the fight. All three judges scored the super middleweight fight for Love 95-93, 97-92, 96-93.
    Ashley Theophane (35-6-1, 11 Kos) battled the much taller Angino Perez (15-5, 13 Kos) and won the contest that featured numerous overhand rights. In the fourth round, Theophane was able to take advantage of the wider blows and land his own first. Numerous blows forced a stoppage of the fight at 2:44 of round four to give Theophane the technical knockout win in the welterweight contest.
    Ladarius Miller (2-0) used a single left cross to knock out Richard Colas (11-3) at 58 seconds of round three in a junior welterweight match between Las Vegas-based prizefighters.
    Lanell Bellows (7-1-1, 6 Kos) dropped Arkansas’ Thomas Gifford (2-2-1) with the first two punches he fired. Then in the second round, two booming right hands forced referee Jay Nady to stop the fight at 1:17 of round two in the super middleweight bout.
    Andrew Tabiti (6-0, 6 Kos) stopped John Shipman (3-2) at 2:11 of round four in a cruiserweight fight.
    Ron Gavril (9-0, 7 Kos) knocked out Tyrell Hendrix (10-4-2) at 1:58 of round four in a super middleweight fight.
    WATCH RELATED VIDEOS ON BOXINGCHANNEL.TV

Re: Floyd Mayweather Figures Out Argentina’s Marcos Maidana Late In Fight

Mayweather definitely came on the 2nd half of the fight. He kept the fight more at a distance and in the middle of the ring. From there, he was able to land the jab and pot shot effectively from range. He scored the more telling blows in the 2nd half of the fight. That said, it wasn't that he entirely figured out Maidana and totally dominated the 2nd half of the bout.

Maidana's style clearly made Mayweather uncomfortable for 12 rounds. The pressure obviously bothered Mayweather. As did the awkward angles of the punches thrown by Maidana. Mayweather covered up a lot when pressured and though he picked off and made Maidana miss many punches some did get through and pretty cleanly. In particular, the body shots were landing clean from Maidana. I wonder if the judges were scoring those blows.

I scored the fight a draw. It really could have gone either way. Maidana I thought got the better of the first half of the fight as Mayweather did not expect to be pressured and mauled like he was so consistently. Maidana did slow some in the 2nd half which I think partially allowed Mayweather to keep the more of the fight in the center of the ring and at a distance. And Mayweather landed some really telling blows in the 2nd half of the fight. It was not an easy fight to score but I do feel a couple of the judges scored more what they perceived Mayweather was doing to what he actually was doing. And not giving Maidana enough credit for the body shots.

While the arguments are there by fans of Marcos Maidana that their guy should have been awarded the victory, there is no question he slowed down considerably in the last half of the fight and even more in the bout's last four rounds. While Mayweather said afterwards that both Miguel Cotto andCanelo Alvarez were harder punchers than Maidana, this truly looked to be the toughest fight of $$$May's career. Maidana did not let $$$May rest, especially in the last half of the fight.

I was disappointed we didn't hear more verbal fire from cornerman/trainer Robert Garcia, imploring Maidana to pick up the pace later in the fight. He should have known the fight was close and that his guy would have to step on the gas, which he didn't. Or couldn't. But $$$May did. He did what Adrien Broner couldn't do against Maidana. Broner wilted under the pressure. $$$May rose to the occasion under the pressure.

Last night may have been the finest night of $$$May's career. While the fight was a two-sided battle all the way, $$$May proved he is a great champion.

He deserved to have his hand raised.

-Randy G.

I have even more respect for Floyd than I did before after overcoming my revulsion at his persona and his PED lies. Like a great chess player, he has an outline of how he would like things to go, then an infinite number of ways of analyzing the manner in which his opponent attempts to force a different on the fight - and once he has done that, he executes his own without error or, outwardly anyway, fear.

Only, last night he at best partly worked out the conundrum of the crude brawler Maidana who also improvises strange angles of approach to deliver unrecognizable missiles with a strange array of curve balls, knuckles, brush-backs, and fastball bullets. I have a simple argument: Mayweather landed only 8 punches more than Maidana, Maidana’s were all popper punches landed while manhandling Mayweather into the ropes and giving him essentially a three foot ring to fight in, so well did he cut off the ring in the majority of rounds. His ring generalship, his punches landed, and the inconsequential nature of all but two neat Mayweather counters - a right to the head that buzzed Maidana late, and an early body shot - negate any sense of superiority to that statistically meaningless extra 8 punches. I had Maidana up by two, because in part I cannot give a round to a fighter who lands his blows while being trapped and pummeled by his opponent. Maidana beat Mayweather, and the fight went EXACTLY the way I envisioned it. Bring it on, friends.

Boxing is a sport of Gentlemen and the outcome of the Floyd Mayweather fight vs Marcos Maidana was not civil for it was a barbarian act to pull. You could say that I am as mad as Maidana for I feel that I was also robbed from my PPV $ and I am disgusted with the self interest that spits in our face. I follow the sport of boxing like no other and I am fair and unbiased when it comes to my comments and I am telling it as it is. I reject the continuous support to the obvious thievery that has become the norm in the sport that I love. This is not a color thing nor political, this is the same case of the little man being screwed by the big corporations, greed 101. I feel sorry for those who don't seem to know the rules of and how the scoring is done in boxing. Maidana didn't need to KO Floyd to win, that's a fallacy. Boxing is scored round by round and the more significant punches out score the jabs. Clinching is a foul that is not permitted in boxing yet Floyd kept clinching for dear life. I saw Floyd land constant low blows as well as throwing his typical elbow and not once did he get warned but then again it has always been Floyd's home turf. BTW, isn't the champ the one who should be producing all the KOs instead of running around and clinching like a chicken...
    by El Dude.
    Last edited by El Dude; 05-04-2014 at 03:01 PM.

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by El Dude View Post
    Boxing is a sport of Gentlemen and the outcome of the Floyd Mayweather fight vs Marcos Maidana was not civil for it was a barbarian act to pull. You could say that I am as mad as Maidana for I feel that I was also robbed from my PPV $ and I am disgusted with the self interest that spits in our face. I follow the sport of boxing like no other and I am fair and unbiased when it comes to my comments and I am telling it as it is. I reject the continuous support to the obvious thievery that has become the norm in the sport that I love. This is not a color thing nor political, this is the same case of the little man being screwed by the big corporations, greed 101. I feel sorry for those who don't seem to know the rules of and how the scoring is done in boxing. Maidana didn't need to KO Floyd to win, that's a fallacy. Boxing is scored round by round and the more significant punches out score the jabs. Clinching is a foul that is not permitted in boxing yet Floyd kept clinching for dear life. I saw Floyd land constant low blows as well as throwing his typical elbow and not once did he get warned but then again it has always been Floyd's home turf. BTW, isn't the champ the one who should be producing all the KOs instead of running around and clinching like a chicken...
    by El Dude.
    Clinching is a beautiful part of boxing. It always has been. It is not fouling. But something that you do for offense and defense reasons. In this New Jack boxing nowadays, clinching is becoming a lost art. So I can see why you believe that it is fouling. And it is not a "chicken" thing. It is a champion thing.

One can clinch in boxing until the referee says, "BREAK!" You have three seconds to let go. If you don't the referee will say "stop" and attempt to pull you apart. Is you don't let go, it is then a foul of "holding" in the pros and "delaying" in the amateurs.

Check the rules. Holla!

Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post
    Clinching is a beautiful part of boxing. It always has been. It is not fouling. But something that you do for offense and defense reasons. In this New Jack boxing nowadays, clinching is becoming a lost art. So I can see why you believe that it is fouling. And it is not a "chicken" thing. It is a champion thing.

One can clinch in boxing until the referee says, "BREAK!" You have three seconds to let go. If you don't the referee will say "stop" and attempt to pull you apart. Is you don't let go, it is then a foul of "holding" in the pros and "delaying" in the amateurs.

Check the rules. Holla!
    Clinching is one of my favourite aspects of the sport. Which gym was it back in the day that deducted points for clinching..? on the basis that if you're clinching you're opponent you can't be punching him properly. Made for great fights in that era.

Maidana is a savagely ruthless competitor.. But sloppy muffled punches to the torso and a multitude of missed punches doesn't beat getting hit with the same number of stiff punches to the face... I can see why some will argue a win by Maidana. But he clearly didn't win a title with that performance in my opinion. If there is a rematch... I want to see it.
    Khan looked amazing. Whether he fights either Khan or Maidana, Porter or Thurman... Any road the 37 year old fighter takes from here will be a hard one.

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    Maidana is a savagely ruthless competitor.. But sloppy muffled punches to the torso and a multitude of missed punches doesn't beat getting hit with the same number of stiff punches to the face... I can see why some will argue a win by Maidana. But he clearly didn't win a title with that performance in my opinion. If there is a rematch... I want to see it.
    Khan looked amazing. Whether he fights either Khan or Maidana, Porter or Thurman... Any road the 37 year old fighter takes from here will be a hard one.
    I agree Suges, I had it 116-112 for Floyd. He got caught when Maidana was hot but as soon as he lost his steam Floyd was in there making him pay. Chino had to start trying to steal rounds but Floyd always did too much. It was the most exciting Floyd fight for some time, credit to both fighters.

As for Khan, he was spot on with his performance. His offense has to be taken seriously. He's been out for a while but he's come back fully prepared. I'd like to see the Thurman Khan fight. It'd be Khan pushing Keith on the back foot, maybe even dropping him once since One Time can't fight backwards.. But Thurman would get up, land the Lacy left hook and down would go Khan. I'm ready to see Keith in England!

El Dude is in it to win it, just like Maidana came and did it. My constitutional right is my corner and the freedom of press is my ring. Hector Macho Camacho vs Julio Cesar Chavez was the reflection of Marcos the " BEE-HIVE " Maidana vs the Lucky P4P "Clinch". My thoughts to all of that as well as this, well be riddle me this. Who was clinging for dear life, who was doing all the talking, and who did all the asswhooping in the ring...."Clinching is beautiful and legal in Boxing" you "May" say, oh well my inexperienced friends for all I have to say to that is, "WHAT", now have a nice day.
    Last edited by El Dude; 05-04-2014 at 04:08 PM.