English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schaefer On The Oscar "Rift" Presser

Schaefer On The Oscar "Rift" Presser

Richard Schaefer checked in with TSS about Oscar De Hoya's 4 PM PT presser at the MGM, the one that was held while undercard bouts for "The Moment" were going on.
    Oscar said he wanted to hash it out with the CEO, after giving him a hug. What'd Schaefer think?
    "Well we talked, and we've had conversations before, and we'll have further conversations, and we'll see what's gonna happen," he said. "And I really have no other comments, because I really don't believe you do press conferences and you talk in the media about whether you have issues...I just don't think that's the way to go, but we'll see what the next few weeks will bring."
    Read into that what you will, friends. Thoughts on that situation at GB, and how you think it will play out?
    WATCH RELATED VIDEOS ON BOXINGCHANNEL.TV

Re: Schaefer On The Oscar "Rift" Presser

It doesn't sound good, doesn't sound promising. Word has it that Schaefer will soon bolt...that he may be joining someone like Leonard Ellerbe or Al Haymon.

As Schaefer say, "We'll see what the next few weeks will bring."

-Randy G.

fire the sob, just saying, been there done that as long as you have the ability to step in and take care of what needs to be done?, until you hire a competent person to take over. Dick Schaefer Knows Oscar has been in re-hab before and probably will again, where is the loyalty Oscar has shown to him,it's more but ethics than the money, Oscar has given him an open open paycheck. id fire the sob and have Gomez take over tomorrow. The problem will bigger if you don't take care of it Now. so what if dick joins Al Haymon, Oscar can join top Rank and Cut them out. what you think?

Advanced Users

I'm riding shotgun with riverside. Everything is going the way that I predicted. Swizz Cheese makes me sneeze. ____ _____ _____! Holla!

Swiss cheese doesn't need the job. He comes from a banking family. He only does this to rub shoulders with industry insiders and feel like a big cheese. Swiss cheese has nothing to do with boxing and listening to him ramble on at press conferences is annoying at the least. Oscar has to be positive at the press conference because Swiss cheese is still under contract. That contract will be put under pressure. Question? Can Swiss cheese have a banking position where he gets to ramble on at press conferences and put his ever growing mug on showtime? He likes the limelight and power . Money has nothing to do with it. Oscar found him and he can do it again.

El Dude

I want to meet Oscar in person to shake his hand and tell him thank you for the hope that he has given not just me but for the entire world in believing that one day, we will see the breaking down of the barriers that have been dividing the sport that I also love. I have nothing but respect for Oscar De La Hoya and I admire all that he has done in and out of the ring of Boxing. The Boxing Legacy that Oscar left behind lives strong in the memories of all the fans. Life is a struggle but just like in Boxing we should never give up. Great men remind you of no one else and Oscar is a great man who has payed his dues.
    El Dude says thank you.
    Last edited by El Dude; 05-05-2014 at 05:16 AM.

It sounds to me like both sides want the other one out but that neither want to be the one to make that decision. Who knows, there could be some legal and financial maneuvering going on behind the scenes at the moment as well.

Reading the press clippings from the weekend, it seems obvious Schaefer is on his way to Mayweather Promotions. Mayweather and Ellerbe both went out of their way explaining what a great person Schaefer is to work with and great asset he would be for anyone in the sport.

In addition, you have the fact that Haymon has been inking so many fighters as their "advisor" yet not having them sign a promotional deal to Golden Boy. Since Haymon and Schaefer are tight, they end up fighting on Golden Boy cards anyway. But there is a reason they are not signed to Golden Boy.

Also interesting this weekend there was the statement from Schaefer regarding the undercard of Canelo-Lara. He said "Ask Oscar." And Oscar is the one leading the press tour for the promotion of this fight.

Something is definitely imminent and it should be very interesting to see how this all ends up playing out in the coming days and weeks.

Yes it is troubling that so many fighters are signed on with Al Haymon and not with Golden Boy. Even more troubling is the fact that Oscar seems surprised by it. I smell a rat. While I understand what Shaefer is saying I would like to see the walls torn down between Top Rank and Golden Boy and I think that is what should happen if Oscar wishes it so. Oscar seems sincere in his vision. I think it is a vision the fans want also.

Quote Originally Posted by oubobcat View Post
    It sounds to me like both sides want the other one out but that neither want to be the one to make that decision. Who knows, there could be some legal and financial maneuvering going on behind the scenes at the moment as well.

Reading the press clippings from the weekend, it seems obvious Schaefer is on his way to Mayweather Promotions. Mayweather and Ellerbe both went out of their way explaining what a great person Schaefer is to work with and great asset he would be for anyone in the sport.

In addition, you have the fact that Haymon has been inking so many fighters as their "advisor" yet not having them sign a promotional deal to Golden Boy. Since Haymon and Schaefer are tight, they end up fighting on Golden Boy cards anyway. But there is a reason they are not signed to Golden Boy.

Also interesting this weekend there was the statement from Schaefer regarding the undercard of Canelo-Lara. He said "Ask Oscar." And Oscar is the one leading the press tour for the promotion of this fight.

Something is definitely imminent and it should be very interesting to see how this all ends up playing out in the coming days and weeks.
    That's an interesting point, but Mayweather Promotions does not have a Nevada promotional license? Unless that was their plan all along...

If you look at the picture, Richard has a smug smile and Oscar is condescending, now we know who is in charge. Somebody has to explain in plain English, how a brilliant ex banker can't see that as CEO his job was to protect his boss Oscar. I know the reasoning behind the decision to make GBP a tool for Senor Haymon giving them access to Haymon's fighters and the leverage he has with the various networks. Oscar is in a bad position, with his hat in his hand, and bended head, cos of what and who? Oscar provided a platform for Haymon's fighters without a promotional, giving cherry spots to guess who's fighter. Haymon, has all of the name fighters that have fought on GBP cards. Uh, oh! Then it was reported that Mayweather, Schaefer love each and again guess who else is involved "Big Al". Can a Mayweather, Haymon & Schaefer promotional team be far behind? Hmmmmm!
    Maybe that explains the look on Schaefer's face.