English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IBF Champ Molina Inks With Haymon. Who's Next? Here's a List...

IBF Champ Molina Inks With Haymon. Who's Next? Here's a List...

Add another one to the list.

Earlier today, news broke that IBF junior middleweight champion Carlos Molina had signed with Al Haymon.

Molina -- a recent deportee, who had to pull out of an optional title defense with Haymon client Jay Charlo due to immigration issues -- is back in Mexico training for a mandatory title defense while his team works on getting his residency status restored.

"Carlos is excited to work with Al who is going to help us get him the important fights he's always wanted," said promoter and attorney Leon Margules. "Al does a fantastic job with all his fighters and we're sure he'll do the same for Carlos."

Signing spree
    Over the past few months, Al Haymon has been on a true signing spree, securing a who's who of prospects, contenders and champions from lightweight to cruiserweight in the process.

The recent signees include Robert Guerrero, Amir Khan, Lamont Peterson, Anthony Peterson, Luis Collazo, Adonis Stevenson and several others, who the sup manager somehow manages to find the time to appease.

"He's changing lives for a lot of fighters," Paulie Malignaggi said in a recent interview.

"I don't know how he does it but he somehow manages to attend to all these fighters and keep them happy but he does," ESPN senior writer Dan Rafael said. "If I was a fighter, I'd want to be with Al, too."

With the well-documented uncertainty surrounding the future of premier boxing promoter Golden Boy Promotions, word around the boxing grapevine says the Haymon signing binge is far from over.

"They're just getting started," a source with ties to the Watsons told TSS Universe exclusively. "They're aggressive as [fudge]. These names you're seeing now ain't [shoot]."

Though he wouldnt reveal any names, the source did shed some light on the expansion plans of the Haymon crew. "They're fixing to take over every important division in boxing. You're going to see some big announcements coming very soon."

While Haymon was unavailable for comment (duh), another boxing insider, who asked to remain unnamed, did offer some speculation.

"They're going for everybody, setting up meetings left and right," the source said, adding one major, major name might be next.

"Rigondeaux is probably next," he said. "And you heard about the Chavez situation, right?" -- in reference to the rumored multi-fight proposal from the Haymon camp -- "Well, they're not just going for him. They want the little dude to set up the fight with Floyd."

Little dude...as in Manny Pacquiao?

"Yes! I'm telling you, this BJ Flores and Guerrero is nothing. Just watch what's going to happen in the next few weeks once this whole Golden Boy mess is over with."

For what it is worth, pound for pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. has indicated that a Haymon pass has been made at the Filpino marvel before.

"What's so crazy is a long time ago Pacquiao should've got with Al Haymon and we would've got his career back together," Mayweather said a few months ago. "But sometimes they don't listen. A hard head makes a soft ***."

My guess?

While it's hard to say something with certainty unless it comes from the horse's mouth, there's no doubt the recent moves in the landscape of boxing has left everyone buzzing.

Based on what I've been hearing lately, I wouldn't be shocked -- though this is strictly me speculating -- to see this list of guys shack up with the invisible advisor before the end of the year:

- Andre Ward
    - Mikey Garcia
    - Chavez Jr.
    - Manny Pacquiao
    - Tim Bradley
    - Guillermo Rigondeaux

What says you, posters?

Re: IBF Champ Molina Inks With Haymon. Who's Next? Here's a List...

With the way Haymon is growing his client base, it would not surprise me at all to see all or most of the names on that list sign with Al before the curtain comes down on 2014.

My first choice to sign is Guillermo Rigondeaux, whom Bob Arum couldn't care less about.

-Randy G.

El Dude

Regardless of who the questionable IBF champ Carlos Molina signs with, the fans have turned against him. The last that we heard of Carlos Molina was when he was set to face Jermall Charlo. That fight was going to be a "Warplane type Dogfight" but it all ended in disgust. I did think about that fight for a minute being that both fighters are equally matched in their own ways. I was predicting Charlo to KO Molina within 5 rounds. Molina does not have the KO power to stop Charlo but he does posses the stamina and skills to take the fight to a close 12 round decision. Molina's game plan consist in stretching the fight to the later rounds to exhaust his opponents power by making them an easier target. If this fight gets restarted, Charlo must not show any respect to Molina's lack of power and should focus on his hungry jab that will most likely be the key to picking off Molina and setting him up with his amusing bombs. Molina definitely would need a KO to secure his win being that a decision will most likely favor Charlo over Carlos Felony Convictions. The people are pushing for Molina to get KOd Big Time.
    El Dude going for Charlo.
    Last edited by El Dude; 05-13-2014 at 11:10 PM.

You touched on an interesting topic....

Is he An invisible ameba....the personification of a silently spreading cancer. .... a blight upon the face of boxing? Or the champion of champions yearning for a fruitful career?

He must be doing something right.

I can't count the stories I've heard of fighters approaching DonKing with blunt instruments, knives, at gunpoint or simply attacking the man with nothing but a pair off clenched fists. Yet Don can't wait to grab the microphone.

But Hayman ... You can't even get his picture when he's attending a Floyd Mayweather Post fight Press Conference.

The word is out and even the most established fighters are flocking to the security of his managerial expertise.

Its like a modern day Gold Rush except Al provides the shovels and Pick Axes, all the fighters have to do is dig deep .......inside the ring.

At this point I wouldnt even be surprised to see Bob Arum submitting a job application and his resume to Al's Hayman's Human Resources Office.

Standing in line with Oscar and Richard.

The Roast has also signed with Al Haymon.

Bob Arum would have a heart attack if Pacquiao signed with Haymon lol.

Rigo definitely needs to leave Bob, he is putting him on a shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by the Roast View Post
    Ha!....that was too funny.

Quote Originally Posted by the Roast View Post
    I laugh a lot during the day. When I read this post early this morning, it was my first laugh of the day!

We're headed towards a monopoly here. Then what? Will Haymon be the Vince McMahon of boxing? Will he then start signing underpayed UFC fighters, and take over that MMA?

The answer is not far off.

-Randy G.

Rigondeaux seems destined to join the Haymon stable. Arum clearly wants nothing to do with Rigo and I am honestly surprised that Arum just didn't release him from his contract following his last fight.

Mikey Garcia is trying to break his contract with Top Rank and that was a move that most close to him didn't see coming (including his current manager if I am not mistaken). He also exorbitantly priced himself out of the Gamboa fight. Garcia has been moved brilliantly by Top Rank but seems he wants more. I do think he is maneuvering towards Haymon eventually but we will have to see how this Top Rank suit plays out in the immediate future (no way Arum and Haymon will be working together with a fighter).

I don't see Ward maneuvering towards Haymon. I think Ward wants to sign with Top Rank. Plus, HBO is seemingly in love with Ward and will do everything in their power to keep him away from Haymon.

Chavez Jr. clearly is angling to join Haymon once his Top Rank deal expires...rumors are constantly circulating on that front.

Pacquaio and Bradley I don't see signing with Haymon. Pacquaio has time and time again said Arum is his promoter (though he doesn't sign long term deals with him). And Bradley just re-signed with Top Rank in large part to get the Pacquiao rematch. He will not be joining Haymon at this time.

Some fighters I think to keep a close eye on as potential Haymon targets in the immediate future...Bryant Jennings, Lucian Bute, Thomas Oosthuizen, David Lemieux, Matthew Macklin, Demetrius Andrade, Ruslan Provodnikov, Thomas Dulorme, Rustam Nagaev, Hank Lundy.

Even Al Haymon won't be able to do much with Molina, who has been banished from the United States and who will now fight almost exclusively in Mexico.

None of the major networks will be clamoring to head Mexico to telecast one of his defenses. So what will Haymon do with him? And why does he even want him? I think this shows that Haymon is out to sign every titleholder, every contender and every prospect that he can.

If he can keep Molina busy (maybe he can by showcasing him in Argentina, Brazil, Nicaragua, etc.), then he deserves to be signing all these guys.

And they will continue to thank him with the first words that come out of their mouth during a post-fight interview.

-Randy G.