English Español
Advertisement

Thread: Al Bernstein Says Marquez-Alvarado Could Be Fight of the Year Sort of Scrap

Al Bernstein Says Marquez-Alvarado Could Be Fight of the Year Sort of Scrap

"This one has fireworks written all over it," says Hall of Fame announcer Al Bernstein of the Saturday showdown between ultra-vet Juan Manuel Marquez, the Mexican sniper, and Mike Alvarado, a younger but perhaps a bit more faded scrapper who needs a win to stay in the mix for big fights.
    HBO will screen the scrap, which may well serve as an eliminator for Manny's "next," the next tussle for the Congressman from Sarangani. In this preview video on the Boxing Channel, Bernstein notes that Marquez comes in with a 55-7-1 mark, with 40 KOs.
    http://www.boxingchannel.tv/juan-manuel-marquez-vs-mike-alvarado--fight-preview-and-keys-to-victory
    He's 40, but is still a top echelon hitter.
    The Denver resident, 34-2, with 22 KOs, is "an exciting" boxer, and needs to throw combos, and can't throw the lazy jab, says Al B. Also, he can't be too busy, and shoot his energy load.
    Marquez, meanwhile, wants his foe to be first, and also will want to damage Alvie with the right hand.
    Al says both men are usually in terrific scraps so Saturday should be more of the same, and could be a fight of the year type tiff.
    Also, here is our friend Harold Lederman talking about the Saturday main event.
    {youtube}gRm5Lzvlk3I{/youtube}
    Harold discussed Alvarados' fighting style here,
    {youtube}2JM1OHRZeek{/youtube}
    as well as the site of the bout, the Fabulous Forum, which has a rich history and marvelous vibe.
    {youtube}hhPNzO6bbB0{/youtube}
    What say you, Forum fantatics?
    WATCH RELATED VIDEOS ON BOXINGCHANNEL.TV

Re: Al Bernstein Says Marquez-Alvarado Could Be Fight of the Year Sort of Scrap

Al is so right on this one being a FOTY candidate. It can't be anything less than explosive. Can't wait for it!

-Randy G.

El Dude

Fight of the year kind of fight is always the intentions of "La Dinamita" who intends to set it of at the Forum. I predict Juan Manuel Marquez squeezing by Mike Alvarado with a late TKO. Marquez is a crafty defensive fighter with plenty of KO power still left in his canyons. Mike is a strong brawler who is hungry and has nothing to lose and the whole world to gain by defeating a legend like Marquez. The keys to victory in this "All or Nothing" kind of fight will be the foot work, head faints and the countering which all seem to favor the veteran. Some fans are calling for the winner of this fight to face Ruslan Provodnikov next.
    JMM has one foot out the ring & the truth is that Ruslan Provodnikov is injurious to the health of JMM. The fans would not enjoy a 2-rd fight between Ruslan & JMM that would end up in a horrifying KO. JMM has stated that he only has 1-2 fights left in him so that being said why have him go out like a dirty sock. I see Juan Manuel Marquez doing a retiring tour seeking a title shot with a lesser threat of an opponent. JMM does not have a title nor does he have a mandatory fight & his odds are not as favorable like they were just a few years ago but his experience is well appreciated & respected. To see JMM fight is to show him respect for Boxing is what this legend loves to do.
    Exposure is the key to the economical Boxing business of the game and nothing tops the name of Juan " La Dinamita" Manuel Marquez vs a hard hitting well known foe like Mike Alvarado. HBO will be setting up, posting and throwing down in Inglewood California over at the Forum, Broadcasting Live and full of carnage on Saturday May 17 where all will bleed. The way that HBO has set their undercards seem to be preparing for an all out flurry of punches, combos and rumbles. Starting of like drumsticks beating on the drums of war it will be The NABF Prospecting Champion Diego Magdaleno with his pair of "Steel Magnolias" scoring 25 wins, 10 KOs and one slip of a defeat and will be testing his LA streak vs Oscar Bravo "The Mean Machine from Chile" who intends to add another victim to his 21 wins and 9 solid KOs being that he knows that its all or nothing like his 3 losses.
    BOOM is what the fans will see when a KO is produced by the following battle of Viktor "The Ukraine Pistol" Postol blasting off in search of another KO putting up his undefeated record of 25 wins with 10 KOs against Selcuk " Sick Minded" Aydin The Turkish Champion Warrior representing the WBC Mediterranean light welterweight title. The Main Event is none other than Juan Manuel Marquez vs Mike Alvarado and this will be one tremendous night of HBO Boxing for all the aficionados.
    El Dude Boxing commentaries.
    Last edited by El Dude; 05-14-2014 at 08:10 PM.

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by El Dude View Post
    Fight of the year kind of fight is always the intentions of "La Dinamita" who intends to set it of at the Forum. I predict Juan Manuel Marquez squeezing by Mike Alvarado with a late TKO. Marquez is a crafty defensive fighter with plenty of KO power still left in his canyons. Mike is a strong brawler who is hungry and has nothing to lose and the whole world to gain by defeating a legend like Marquez. The keys to victory in this "All or Nothing" kind of fight will be the foot work, head faints and the countering which all seem to favor the veteran. Some fans are calling for the winner of this fight to face Ruslan Provodnikov next. JMM has one foot out the ring & the truth is that Ruslan Provodnikov is injurious to the health of JMM. The fans would not enjoy a 2-rd fight between Ruslan & JMM that would end up in a horrifying KO. JMM has stated that he only has 1-2 fights left in him so that being said why have him go out like a dirty sock. I see Juan Manuel Marquez doing a retiring tour seeking a title shot with a lesser threat of an opponent. JMM does not have a title nor does he have a mandatory fight & his odds are not as favorable like they were just a few years ago but his experience is well appreciated & respected. To see JMM fight is to show him respect for Boxing is what this legend loves to do. Exposure is the key to the economical Boxing business of the game and nothing tops the name of Juan " La Dinamita" Manuel Marquez vs a hard hitting well known foe like Mike Alvarado. HBO will be setting up, posting and throwing down in Inglewood California over at the Forum, Broadcasting Live and full of carnage on Saturday May 17 where all will bleed. The way that HBO has set their undercards seem to be preparing for an all out flurry of punches, combos and rumbles. Starting of like drumsticks beating on the drums of war it will be The NABF Prospecting Champion Diego Magdaleno with his pair of "Steel Magnolias" scoring 25 wins, 10 KOs and one slip of a defeat and will be testing his LA streak vs Oscar Bravo "The Mean Machine from Chile" who intends to add another victim to his 21 wins and 9 solid KOs being that he knows that its all or nothing like his 3 losses. BOOM is what the fans will see when a KO is produced by the following battle of Viktor "The Ukraine Pistol" Postol blasting off in search of another KO putting up his undefeated record of 25 wins with 10 KOs against Selcuk " Sick Minded" Aydin The Turkish Champion Warrior representing the WBC Mediterranean light welterweight title. The Main Event is none other than Juan Manuel Marquez vs Mike Alvarado and this will be one tremendous night of HBO Boxing for all the aficionados.
    El Dude Boxing commentaries.
    Why don't you break up your posts/responses into several paragraphs. They will be easier and quicker for for ev'y and dey momma to read.

Otherwise, a lot of readers are passing your possibly great work by. Holla!

El Dude

Are you in this contest to win or to give pointers because I have yet to see you bring it.

Advanced Users

Are you in this contest to win or to give pointers because I have yet to see you bring it.
    I'm all for people bringing their best. And because of inattention blindness because of clutter, I hate for it to slip and slide like butter. And not be read. It is no different from no tombstone for the dead. Holla!

El Dude

We all have our destiny, styles and future tombstones. El Dude is here to stay and when I'm gone my memories will live on for all the little Dudes who will forever remember the unique and brilliant writing styles of El Dude. Once upon a time the tombstone of El Dude will read, " Here lies the Greatest Boxing Commentator to have ever lived in the history of mankind". The reflections of El Dude's view of the battles and world wars of the arena have no rival in or out of the media and this will be written over your tombstone, Mr. Radam G.
    Official Seal of "El Dude" who asks, "Are you in this contest to win or to give pointers because I have yet to see you bring it."
    Last edited by El Dude; 05-14-2014 at 09:01 PM.

Advanced Users

We all have our destiny, styles and future tombstones. El Dude is here to stay and when I'm gone my memories will live on for all the little Dudes who will forever remember the unique and brilliant writing styles of El Dude. Once upon a time the tombstone of El Dude will read, " Here lies the Greatest Boxing Commentator to have ever lived in the history of mankind". The reflections of El Dude's view of the battles and world wars of the arena have no rival in or out of the media and this will be written over your tombstone, Mr. Radam G.
    Official Seal of "El Dude" who asks, "Are you in this contest to win or to give pointers because I have yet to see you bring it."
    Hehehehe! You got jokes! Holla!