English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mauricio Herrera Beats Johan Perez on Canelo Card

Mauricio Herrera Beats Johan Perez on Canelo Card

Mauricio Herrera and Johan Perez engaged in a spirited brawl to open the Canelo-Lara PPV event, on Saturday night, July 12. This bout was fought in Volume City, with both men being busy throughout. Herrera went 227-715 to 170-689 for Perez, and the stats told the story. Two of three judges nodded to Herrera, a MD10 winner by scores of 114-114, 116-112, 116-112.
    Herrera (21-4) and his foe were both busy beavers, and were throwing with as much nasty intent early as late. Herrera, a slick hitter who many thought beat Danny Garcia in his last outing, snapped to the body in round nine, and it looked like his seasoning would pay dividends late. In the 10th, we saw that Steve Farhood had Herrera up 88-83. Perez went late lefty, and it worked, to an extent. But El Maestro had his man backed in a corner to close. In the 12th, the trend continued, and nobody went down. Herrera advanced, and had the loser, now 19-4, backing up. The went rock em sock to the final bell; damned solid scrap from two hungry pros.
    Tomoki Kameda scored a TKO7 win over…and this will be in our next spelling bee, friends…Pungluang Sor Singyu at the MGM in Las Vegas on Saturday night. A left to the body spelled ultimate doom for the challenger. Kam is now 30-0 and holds on to the WBO bantam crown. The loser dropped to 46-3, and here's hoping his liver doesn't stay bruised more than a week.

Re: Mauricio Herrera Beats Johan Perez on Canelo Card

Perez came to fight and did well in spots as I suspected he would. But Herrera got the best of him on this night, no doubt.

Herrera did surprise me in that he fought more aggressively than he has in some other fights. I am sure this was do to him being on the wrong end of decisions and wanting to go more for the knockout here despite the fact he is not a huge puncher. He did hurt Perez a few times and at one point even had Perez in some trouble.

It was a good fight and a good opening fight to a PPV telecast. These guys fought hard and put on an entertaining fight. We will hear from both again in the future in significant fights.

we wanted to get an early lead,set the tempo , Perez is a tough guy. Good fight though

Quote Originally Posted by riverside View Post
    we wanted to get an early lead,set the tempo , Perez is a tough guy. Good fight though
    I did notice Herrera being very aggressive with the jab and right hand behind it very early in the bout. Perez was tough and seemed to know how to hide when he was hurt. Good fight. One thing that stands out about Herrera to me is that dude has wind for days! very impressive cardio!

I think Herrera can compete and give tough fights to anyone at 140.

On the telecast, an Adrien Broner fight was mentioned. First, I don't think Broner's people would put him in with Herrera. But if they did, you know what I would lean towards Herrera. Why? Broner has a lot of dead spots. I can see Herrera working that jab and working punches during those dead spots. Basically, Herrera would out hustle Broner.

Some may say that if Herrera opens up then that will give Broner, a counterpuncher, more opportunities. Herrera though will throw combinations from the right angles and be in position to often be able to slide away from counters without being hit clean. Herrera is very good defensively at not being hit clean.

I would love to see a matchup between Broner and Herrera. Unfortunately I am skeptical that it will happen.

Golden Boy Gomez has talked about Herrera vs. Broner for the vacant strap if Danny Garcia decides to move up. But now looks like Broner is fighting in September so that would make it to close for us to fight Broner for Mauricio's belt. We feel confident that we can dominate him. MA-H can take his punch well. Hopefully the fight pans out for early next year.

Quote Originally Posted by riverside View Post
    Well done and congrats!

Thanks amay

That was a great job by MH. My favorite fight of the night. MH had one nice right hand all night long. Perez was no joke and MH closed the show.

Congrats riverside chuffed for you. I hope Gomez makes something happen, Mauricio can become a real fan favourite. He's a likeable guy and he's got a big heart. He's slick too and a pleasure to watch. I'm with D2, was my favourite fight of the night. Congratulations again.