English Español
Advertisement

Thread: Abner Mares Boxes Smartly and Defeats Oquendo, UD10

Abner Mares Boxes Smartly and Defeats Oquendo, UD10

Abner Mares came back to the ring after a year off, to take on Jonathan Oquendo, in the third TV scrap on the Canel vs. Lara pay-per-view event. He boxed super smart, and didn't get into risky trades. It wasn't a fan friendly outing, by any means, but he did get love from the judges, via scores of 96-94, 98-92, 98-92.
    Fans might beef but Mares was coming off a KO1 loss to Jhonny Gonzalez so it made sense to be a bit more protective of self. After, to Jim Gray, Mares said he felt a bit rusty, but was happy, because he got the win. Mares said he wants to fight Gonzalez, yes, or any featherweight.
    Mares went 163-424 to 84-385 for the loser.
    Mares (26-1-1; from Mexico) was 126 1/2 pounds while JO (24-3; from Puerto Rico) was 126 1/2 pounds on Friday, in a featherweight clash Saturday evening at the MGM in Vegas.
    In the first, JO looked right there with Mares. His left hook looked hellacious, as it just missed a few times. In the second, Mares moved, backed up, looked for opportunities to get in, and get out. In the third, Mares ripped a right to the body, maybe signaling an intent to get nastier. Or no..would the influence of new trainer Virgil Hunter, more focus on D, stay prominent?
    In round four, we saw blood coming from Mares' left eye lid, off a punch, according to ref Kenny Bayless. In the fifth, O kept trying to rip the left hook. He slipped smartly, threw and then clinched, and was happy to see Jo wait too much in round six. The cut was not a problem. In the seventh, Mares was again happy to see Oquendo being too economical. In the eighth, we saw Mares continuing to box super smart. In the ninth, Mares landed a right ripper near the end which scored bigtime. Oquendo's corner told him after he needed to win the next one, or a loss would be forthcoming. In the tenth, Oquendo was busier but it was too little...

Re: Abner Mares Boxes Smartly and Defeats Oquendo, UD10

Mares fought smart and did what what he had to do to win. He had the perfect opponent in front of him though for his first fight back in 11 months following a loss.

He boxed and took what was given to him.

Mares still needs to correct one major flaw. And that is he pulls straight back with his right low and chin hanging up. If Oquendo let the left hook fly more, particularly when Mares pulled straight back, he may have been able to do some damage.

Still, all in all not a bad performance coming off such a devastating KO loss. The confidence should be back and Featherweight is a very deep division. There is plenty of opportunity for big money making fight for Mares.

I think Mares needs to mix in some more "puncher" in his new under-construction style.I don't think he is physically made to stay on the outside the way he did and i think someone can out-box him easier if he sticks to that style. Maybe it was coming back from a knock out and he just wanted to get the rounds in and be extra careful but I would like to see him come with some more measured inside pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by flackoguapo View Post
    I think Mares needs to mix in some more "puncher" in his new under-construction style.I don't think he is physically made to stay on the outside the way he did and i think someone can out-box him easier if he sticks to that style. Maybe it was coming back from a knock out and he just wanted to get the rounds in and be extra careful but I would like to see him come with some more measured inside pressure.
    I agree and will say there seemed to be times where Mares could land more but stepped back and played it safe.

As the old saying in boxing goes, why hit the man once when you can land three or four times. Maybe early, yeah feel the guy out and see what he has. But when it was more apparent that Oquendo was leaving openings and not really coming back with anything, why not land a few more punches before stepping back.

Mares will study this tape and see this. He fought smartly and very tactically here taking as few chances as possible. I expect in the future we see him throw more combinations with this "new" style of his that he is working on with Virgil Hunter.