English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anthony "Showtime" Karperis on ESPN tonight at 8

Anthony "Showtime" Karperis on ESPN tonight at 8

My homey, my trainer and friend, is the opening fight on tonights ESPN card. When his head is together, Showtime has real gifts of speed, combination punching power, slippery head movement, and a really fan-friendly look and style. He has trained me back to youthful ability and beyond, and we've sparred many rounds. Additionally, he was Algieri's main sparring partner leading up to the Provodnikov fight. Watch and tell me honestly what you think. You see that he has two losses on his record: I knew he had a fever and an ear infection in the days leading up, but hid it, and insisted he was going through with fight; the guy who beat him would have no chance against a properly tuned Karperis. His other loss, a TKO against a guy who would have a limited sparring partner at best, was in a fight before which he was in a strange state of mind, unmotivated, and seemingly depressed the week before - yes sometimes us shrinks ARE paying attention to you - and not only fought a defensive and lackluster fight, but tore muscles in key places during the fight.

He looks and sounds fantastic, and had his best camp yet. I predict a showcase for a complex but hi-potential prospect. I hope to hear a bit from you guys. And remember, I like it rough!

Re: Anthony "Showtime" Karperis on ESPN tonight at 8

Quote Originally Posted by mortcola View Post
    My homey, my trainer and friend, is the opening fight on tonights ESPN card. When his head is together, Showtime has real gifts of speed, combination punching power, slippery head movement, and a really fan-friendly look and style. He has trained me back to youthful ability and beyond, and we've sparred many rounds. Additionally, he was Algieri's main sparring partner leading up to the Provodnikov fight. Watch and tell me honestly what you think. You see that he has two losses on his record: I knew he had a fever and an ear infection in the days leading up, but hid it, and insisted he was going through with fight; the guy who beat him would have no chance against a properly tuned Karperis. His other loss, a TKO against a guy who would have a limited sparring partner at best, was in a fight before which he was in a strange state of mind, unmotivated, and seemingly depressed the week before - yes sometimes us shrinks ARE paying attention to you - and not only fought a defensive and lackluster fight, but tore muscles in key places during the fight.

He looks and sounds fantastic, and had his best camp yet. I predict a showcase for a complex but hi-potential prospect. I hope to hear a bit from you guys. And remember, I like it rough!
    I have seen Karperis fight before and am glad to hear his fight is going to be televised. I agree, he has very good hand speed and is a good combination puncher. He has a style that makes for good fights.

I will be watching tonight and will break down his performance.

Anthony is indeed a gifted boxer/puncher, but it's his playboy style which has been his biggest enemy. If he can grow up, he has a bright future in the sport.

I know he's your homey, Mortcola, but only time will tell where Karperis' future is in this sport. Tonight's fight is against a tough opponent type, a guy who has won one of his last eight. Rack up win number seven for Karperis.

-Randy G.

Quote Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
    Anthony is indeed a gifted boxer/puncher, but it's his playboy style which has been his biggest enemy. If he can grow up, he has a bright future in the sport.

I know he's your homey, Mortcola, but only time will tell where Karperis' future is in this sport. Tonight's fight is against a tough opponent type, a guy who has won one of his last eight. Rack up win number seven for Karperis.

-Randy G.
    Facts are facts, commish. The mind is the biggest variable of all.

You said it, Mort: "When his head is together." That's the story of his young boxing career. I am surprised he could only come away with a decision over his frequently-whupped opponent. As for his stablemate, 22-year-old Wendy Toussaint, he won the biggest fight of his career on Friday night with a decision over a previously unbeaten fighter. However, if Wendy wants to progress, I have three words of advice for him: "Fire your trainer!"

-Randy G.

You know, Mort, I have spent the last few hours in the gym, training a few clients. As I trained them, I couldn't stop hinking about Anthony Karperis and the vast amount of talent we know he has. Where is it? Where has that Anthony been?

He's too young to have lost it. At the Paramount, his fight was cut from a six to a four. You'd think he would have had an abundance of gas, in that case, and fought at a quick pace throughout the fight. But that never happened. I know he just had some surgery on his nose. Was that on his mind? I know he has asthma, which sometimess bothers him. Was THAT on his mind? Something certainly was. The guy he fought was nothing more than an opponent, a heavy bag with arms and legs. That heavy bag won a round against Karperis. How'd that happen? Is it that Karperis' new trainer has yet to click with Anthony? There is clearly something missing. Hopefully, Karperis finds it and regains the3 form we know he is capable of.

As for Wendy "The Guyanese Python" Toussaint, he is going backwards. He is a phenomenally-gifted athlete who can run a mile in under 5 minutes. He is a welterweight/jr. middleweight with the size and reach of a middleweight. He still can't throw a jab, he wings his right hand and his throws uppercuts while moving backwards. That's not him. That's his trainer. Last night was 'The Python's" fifth pro fight. Although he is 5-0, he should have fired his trainer four fights ago.

Karperis and "The Python." Two vastly-talented boxers. Unless they each pull it together and do what they have to do, they will be going nowehere in boxing.

Fast.

-Randy G

Well, I see these days as Anthony’s amateur career since he didn’t have one. He’s getting his maturation together about how to hang in, handle danger, let his best qualities flow even under attack. And for him to be as relaxed and sharp as he was last night, on TV for the first time, against a tall, tough trial horse, after the blows to his ego from losses that came in fights when he was sick and then injured, shows character. We’ve seen him at his best in the early going, and then we’ll see that “best” again when he’s tested by guys higher up the ladder. Power, speed, athleticism, creativity - its likely to come together into something really impressive. Both he and his team, especially his gelling with Billy D as trainer, are really starting to show. The work he put in during killer conditioning program meant to get the most of his body, which, like a lot of us, might be a little brittle but carries lots of explosives in it. And I think he’s focused and tough enough to chalk up the losses to reality checks, and that he’ll come into the ring razor sharp and ready, more so each fight. I know I’m biased, but I think his talent is huge, and when he has total faith in it himself, he’ll prove all doubters wrong. Not an easy road, but I know him well enough to know he’s ready to do what it takes. I’m happy to be along for the ride.
    Last edited by mortcola; 07-19-2014 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
    You know, Mort, I have spent the last few hours in the gym, training a few clients. As I trained them, I couldn't stop hinking about Anthony Karperis and the vast amount of talent we know he has. Where is it? Where has that Anthony been?

He's too young to have lost it. At the Paramount, his fight was cut from a six to a four. You'd think he would have had an abundance of gas, in that case, and fought at a quick pace throughout the fight. But that never happened. I know he just had some surgery on his nose. Was that on his mind? I know he has asthma, which sometimess bothers him. Was THAT on his mind? Something certainly was. The guy he fought was nothing more than an opponent, a heavy bag with arms and legs. That heavy bag won a round against Karperis. How'd that happen? Is it that Karperis' new trainer has yet to click with Anthony? There is clearly something missing. Hopefully, Karperis finds it and regains the3 form we know he is capable of.

As for Wendy "The Guyanese Python" Toussaint, he is going backwards. He is a phenomenally-gifted athlete who can run a mile in under 5 minutes. He is a welterweight/jr. middleweight with the size and reach of a middleweight. He still can't throw a jab, he wings his right hand and his throws uppercuts while moving backwards. That's not him. That's his trainer. Laqst night was 'The Python's" fifth pro fight. Although he is 5-0, he should have fired his trainer four fights ago.

Karperis and "The Python." Two vastly-talented boxers. Unless they each pull it together and do what they have to do, they will be going nowehere in boxing.

Fast.

-Randy G
    Well Commish, you know I love you. I just have to correct something. I know from personal, up-close experience that the trainer for Wendy is pulling his hair out trying to get him to do it properly and break those silly ineffective habits. Wendy puts up his nose like he’s the king of all rings when anyone tries to modify him, and that can’t come down to the trainer. We agree how important mental strengths are - one kind of weakness is being too hard, not letting the sculptor do his work. I am high on Wendy too, and my criticisms are the same as yours. But it is HIS crossroads as to whether he listens to his elders in order to become a more complete fighter with good fundamentals. Maybe an embarrassing KO counter off one of the looping rights or snow-shovel uppercuts will wake him up. Just don’t think everyone in the gym - including me - hasn’t tried to get through to him about those silly punches.

In regards to the Karperis fight, well to be honest I had it a draw. I thought Karperis won the 1st and 3rd rounds pretty big and though the 2nd and 4th were close thought his opponent did enough to squeeze both those out.

To me, it looked like Karperis was holding back at times and hesitant to let his hands go. There was not the combination punching as I had seen in some other fights. He also abandoned the jab for the most part which would have made this fight a lot easier for him.

I think Karperis can watch this tape very carefully and make some easy adjustments. And a rematch with this guy off tv might not be a bad idea. This is an opponent I think he should be able to dominate and another go at him could allow him to do so while bolstering Karperis' confidence.

Randy Randy Randy;

Let's start this right, what do you know about Anthony and his playboy life? You're twice to three times his age, so I doubt you're in the places with him?.?. Hmmmm....he's been with the same woman for well over a year. As far as him and his trainer clicking; you know who I am and I'm his trainer, but you know we click, otherwise why didn't he hire you while you were in the gym? I am glad you didn't bash me as bad as you did Wendy's trainer. We will get to that in a moment. Back on to Anthony, short and sweet; he fought a guy who's never been stopped, and some didn't think he would win. Well you saw him win fairly convincingly. The guy never been stopped, so don't say he was a punching bag. What more can your critique? I can do the same sitting on the sidelines about every fighter and/or trainer. Heck, you know we all sit watching fights and say the fighter should make this adjustment or the trainer should be telling him this; but ultimately it is the fighter in there. Enough already on the Anthony talking. You know full well the time Anthony was stopped he tore his oblique muscle. But we're all men here, and boxing isn't about excuses. Anthony will get his rematch and be better prepared if the cards play out right. I ask you to leave the stories you write about Anthony out of your story books. I kept quiet about the crap you wrote a few shows ago before a Paramount fight (something about a Thanksgiving Turkey). Anthony will be the first to tell you he is learning on the job, and I am happy with his progress as his trainer.

As for Wendy and his "trainer" who should've been fired fights ago; you know who your talking about. Did you ever think there's a language breakdown, or even worse a fighter listens but doesn't always listen? I'm sure you know the saying "you can only lead the horse to the water, but you can't make them drink". You are bashing a man who has nothing but good things to say about everyone! The guy has been around the sport longer than you! This is one of the nicest guys in sport. How did you do handling Wendy Commish???

Before you take target on fighters who get in the ring and risk their lives, rethink before typing, critique in a positive manner next time. My research tells me, and trust me I could care less about your stories or pictures or life; I have my own and enjoy not worrying about negativity on everyone else; but didn't you have one pro fight that didn't end so well? You should know fighters risk their lives and ultimately fight how they want in the ring, you been in there, right? Besides that, who have you trained or what have you done beside be a commish 30 years ago or so? Again, does a commish position make you an expert too? I hear you did a great job back then, but again what does that do now?

Now let's move on to facts since you like a public forum; you were the biggest cheerleader for both these fighters when you were in the same gym, we could have given you pom poms. Do I need to post the link with you commentating Anthony's third fight? Then you had a situation with Wendy and the "gym" (which we won't talk about on this forum unless you want to?) and now you like to write negative comments? You are throwing stones in a glass house man! How are your fighters you train doing? Get off the forums with the nonsense comments. I thought you are/were a gentlemen, but lately your negativity has made me even have to type; talking about Wendy's trainer was the last straw. Besides that, both these fighters took their career further than you.

Sincerely,

Billy Desser (I don't hide behind screen names, and I can write with the best of them being well above the the 3rd grade level)