English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Froch to hang 'em up?

Froch to hang 'em up?

I'm reading elsewhere that Carl Froch may retire if he can't get the fight he wants with Chavez Jr in Vegas. What does our crack staff hear about this? Froch is 37 but he would be walking away from a lot of money and a lot of big fights if he were to quit now. Say it ain't so Carl!

Re: Froch to hang 'em up?

after 80,000 in Wembley (just amazing) he owes it to himself for at least one final and big payday.

Chavez would generate great numbers, what about against the winner of Hopkins and Kovalev?

With his momentum right now it would be a mistake to fold em without one more.

I really enjoy watching Froch grind down opponents. If he can't get the fight he wants then I think its great he leaves the sport on his own terms after breaking all records with his win over Groves. Besides Jr and Ward who else is there? He has plenty of money,a beautiful girl, healthy children and recognition as the top man in England. The Sheriff of Nottingham has a nice legacy to enjoy.

Advanced Users

He is going nowhere. He is just having brain farts. And needs to vent a bit. Holla!

I don't see him retiring after that Groves fight in front of 80,000. His marketability is at its peak right now and he can make a lot of money in whatever direction he heads next.

He does want to fight in Vegas and wants it to be against a big name. As far as marketable names go at the moment at 168 to 175, none is bigger than Chavez. But Chavez has been a tough cookie to negotiate with and make fights against. Just ask Golovkin...

My guess would be is that Froch and his camp have the framework set on their side for a fight with Chavez. But Chavez has gone from probable to the fight to once again stalling things on his side of the negotiating table. And Froch is now getting frustrated because this is the fight he wants in Vegas and it appeared so close from his perspective of getting done.

Froch has become a must see guy for sure. Always in a good fight. If his heart isn't in it anymore he should walk away and enjoy his life as Deep says.
    A fight with Chavez Jr. would be tough. The kid would come into the ring at 185 and he is durable. 12 hard rounds would be a safe bet. If Froch were to win I don't see him going to 175 to fight Kovelev. That guy hits too hard for Froch. Maybe if Hopkins wins Froch could lure him to Wembly with the 80,000 and a very large payday. Froch might be able to beat Bernard on home turf. The build up would be outstanding.
    Maybe 3G would move up and fight Carl in Vegas if Jr won't.
    Last edited by the Roast; 08-08-2014 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post
    He is going nowhere. He is just having brain farts. And needs to vent a bit. Holla!
    I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave the sport as he's achieved a lot as D2 pointed out. He's also doing prime time TV shows and I really don't see him taking on a risky fight that could blight his record. He's after a really nice retirement home courtesy of Chavez and Sin City, if that doesn't work out then he'll call it quits and leave on a massive high.

Quote Originally Posted by the Roast View Post
    I'm reading elsewhere that Carl Froch may retire if he can't get the fight he wants with Chavez Jr in Vegas. What does our crack staff hear about this? Froch is 37 but he would be walking away from a lot of money and a lot of big fights if he were to quit now. Say it ain't so Carl!
    He's fighting him Jan. 24 in Las Vegas, baby!

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave the sport as he's achieved a lot as D2 pointed out. He's also doing prime time TV shows and I really don't see him taking on a risky fight that could blight his record. He's after a really nice retirement home courtesy of Chavez and Sin City, if that doesn't work out then he'll call it quits and leave on a massive high.
    I think you are right Skibbz but I can also see the other side where a) he loves and I mean loves to fight and b) there are still some HUGE possibilities left out there for him.

When you look at the landscape of 160 to 175, it is conceivable that there are 5 high profile fights Froch could get and they would be good to great money makers. In addition on paper they would be entertaining fights. He is on the downside of his career at 37 but I think that fighter's heart inside (and the good money) of him makes him trot out there a couple of more times after this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    He's fighting him Jan. 24 in Las Vegas, baby!
    I have not seen this reported yet. You got the inside scoop?