English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roc Nation Sports Wants Rigo, It Seems

Roc Nation Sports Wants Rigo, It Seems

This one could be game changer, folks. Roc Nation, the Jay-Z entity which promised bold intentions and a declaration to take market share in the sports agenting realm when it formed in 2013, will now seek to make a mark in the pro boxing sphere.
    Roc Nation Sports, it was announced on ESPN.com, is dipping their toes, and feet and hands, and considerable experience and muscles in expert leveraging of personalities and buildings and all the aspects that can so impact fight promotion, into the sweetly scientific waters.
    Michael Yormark, brother of Brett Yormark, CEO of the NBA Nets, and overseer of Barclays Center, the "It" arena in the world, which is located in Brooklyn, is president of Roc Nation, since March 2014.
    "This is a highly serious business to us," he told ESPN.
    RNS has signed bigwigs in baseball, football, basketball and we're told they are going to make a splash in the fight game realm. Gary Hyde, manager to Cuban ace Guillermo Rigondeaux, has been working to get Rigo on board with RNS, which just announced the signing of fightgame vet David Itskowitch, who has worked for Lou DiBella, and then had a long stint with Golden Boy. He can handle all aspects of a promotion and the fighters' day to day needs, from grassroots to the most top level board-room chess matches. His duties could include helping figuring out an arc for Rigo, the 14-0 hitter who is seen as a top three pound for pounder on the planet. But…We're hearing that Hyde is still waiting for Caribe Promotions to see the value of hooking Rigo on with Roc Nation Sports.
    Seems like a no brainer on my end. What's bad about having this powerful entity, with talent agency CAA able to bring a Hollywood flair and buzz to the mix, with so much skin in the game to make their splash a lasting one, touting Rigo as sweet science superstar? My guess is Caribe comes around, and sees that this move would be of benefit to them, seeing as how they aren't, unto themselves, a power player in the fight game.
    As far as other shoes dropping, you can maybe get a hint of which fighters RNS might be targeting via social media clues. Have you seen boxers attending Jay Z shows of late? Might that be a hint as to what players will be wearing what unis in the near future?
    Follow Woods on Twitter https://twitter.com/Woodsy1069

Re: Roc Nation Sports Wants Rigo, It Seems

Fiddy should take notes.....

I am sure this is a dumb question, but who is Fiddy ?

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    I am sure this is a dumb question, but who is Fiddy ?
    The Hip Hop rapper Curtis Jackson known as 50 ¢ent [$¡¢]. He and Money May used to be tight. Holla!

Thanks for the info RG !

Hopefully a good move for Rigo

I am still wondering if Fiddy will continue to be involved in boxing promotion for much longer. Jay-Z seems totally committed to this venture with Roc Nation Sports. Bringing on the likes of Michael Yormark and David Iskowitch shows me that committment.

It will be interesting to see how many fighters Roc Nation signs, the calibre of fighter they sign. and how many shows they look to promote, as well as where those promotions will be. Will there be TV? For Jay-Z, that seems easy enough. He is respected by TV moguls who just may buy a Roc Nation event because Jay-Z will be involved.

With Yormark aboard, he's got the "in" with the Barclays Center, as his brother, Brett, is CEO of the NBA Nets as well as a top executive with Barclays.

Without doing a thing, Roc Nation has already become a power broker in the wild and wacky world of professional boxing.

-Randy G.
    Last edited by The Commish; 08-19-2014 at 11:51 AM.

Even more significant than ROC Nation winning the purse bid over GB by $700, 000 to promote Quillin vs Korobov...... is that the fight between Quillin and his most formidable challenger to date is actually going to happen.

Google Korobov vs (Krusher) Kovalev to witness one of the purest amateur boxing exhibitions of technique available on YouTube.

Korobov has had some stamina and focus issues during his long overdue slog through the professional ranks while earning the title shot... and in some ways he doesn't seem like the same fighter he was in the amateurs .

Its ironic because Korobov entered the pro ranks as highly regarded as Lomenchenko but it was Triple G came out of near obscurity to capture our most imaginations.

And Korobov still retains more boxing ability than Quillin has ever accumulated in his relatively far more brief amateur career .

Its a fight we all deserve and I hope Quillin can pull it off for the ol' red, white and blue.
    Particularly because I want to see Quillin vs GGG.
    BUT my money will be on the better schooled Korobov.
    Last edited by brownsugar; 08-20-2014 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
    I am still wondering if Fiddy will continue to be involved in boxing promotion for much longer. Jay-Z seems totally committed to this venture with Roc Nation Sports. Bringing on the likes of Michael Yormark and David Iskowitch shows me that committment.

It will be interesting to see how many fighters Roc Nation signs, the calibre of fighter they sign. and how many shows they look to promote, as well as where those promotions will be. Will there be TV? For Jay-Z, that seems easy enough. He is respected by TV moguls who just may buy a Roc Nation event because Jay-Z will be involved.

With Yormark aboard, he's got the "in" with the Barclays Center, as his brother, Brett, is CEO of the NBA Nets as well as a top executive with Barclays.

Without doing a thing, Ron Nation has already become a power broker in the wild and wacky world of professional boxing.

-Randy G.
    Interesting Intel Commish

If this goes through, look for Rigo to fight almost exclusively at the Barclays Center.

But does he have enough to be Barclays' first great star and so elevate the arena to the constellations of boxing history?

He's got fast hands and slippery shoulders, but if Donaire uses his chin and fights twelve rounds with the same strategy he fought with in R 11, could he take down Rigo in a future rematch? I think Rigo's small stature could betray him as it betrayed Gamboa against Crawford.

I like Rigo, but I could see him beaten.

Whatever happens in his career, it'll probably happen at Barclays.