English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing vs. PEDs

Boxing vs. PEDs

As with seemingly all pro sports--maybe bowling is exempt, for now--it seems as though the PED issue will loom larger, and will have to be hashed through for a spell more before we reach a point of clarity, let alone cleanliness.
    Thomas Hauser released a story today on Maxboxing.com which set off shockwaves in the industry. The biggest boom came in the form of Hauser's reporting on word which had filtered through the PED testing community which indicates that Floyd Mayweather, who has cast himself as the top sheriff in cleaning up PED usage in the sport, tested positive on three occasions for PED usage.
    Hauser wrote:
    "On May 20, 2012, a rumor filtered through the drug-testing community that Mayweather had tested positive on three occasions for an illegal performance-enhancing drug. More specifically, it was rumored that Mayweather’s “A” sample had tested positive on three occasions and, after each positive test, USADA had found exceptional circumstances in the form of inadvertent use and gave Floyd a waiver. This waiver, according to the rumor, negated the need for a test of Floyd’s “B” sample. And because the “B” sample was never tested, a loophole in USADA’s contract with Mayweather and Golden Boy allowed the testing to proceed without the positive “A” sample results being reported to Mayweather’s opponent or the Nevada State Athletic Commission (which had jurisdiction over the fights)."
    Hauser was referencing a May flap between Golden Boy and his Maxboxing.com colleague, Gabriel Montoya. Golden Boy tried to lay a hammer down on Montoya for "spreading false information regarding Golden Boy's alleged involvement with the drug testing of boxers for prohibited substances." Montoya received on May 23 a letter from an attorney representing Golden Boy which said that Montoya claimed to the Nevada State Athletic Commission "that Mr. Mayweather had tested positive on three occasions which were excused under the inadvertent use provision." The attorney, in that letter, said Montoya should stop repeating the assertions and if not, legal action, including the pursuing of damages, against him might be forthcoming.
    In the bombshell story, Hauser went on to say that Manny Pacquiao's people heard the "Floyd tested positive" rumor and basically, that led the Mayweather folks to settle, on Sept. 25, the lawsuit Pacquiao had filed against Mayweather and company for defamation, for alleging the Filipino used PEDS. (A source informed me that the settlement was in the low seven figure range, though terms of the deal were to be kept confidential.)
    Hauser, who clerked for a federal judge and spent five years as a practicing litigator on Wall St. and beyond that is exceedingly judicious in the realm of reporting only what he knows to be fact, in my view, did make sure to acknowledge that he doesn't know with certainty whether Mayweather or Pacquiao has used illegal performance enhancing drugs. "I don’t know if Floyd Mayweather or Manny Pacquiao has used performance-enhancing drugs or not," Hauser wrote.
    The writer also referenced the PED cases involving Lamont Peterson, Andre Berto, Antonio Tarver and Erik Morales. He noted that he tried to get promoter Richard Schaefer, of Golden Boy, on the record to respond to some of the material he collected, but Schaefer declined to go on record with him. Hauser inserted a portion of an email Schaefer sent him regarding the story. “We are trying to do something positive and yet it seems that mediaand others are attacking us," Schaefer wrote Hauser. "It would be easy for us to do nothingjust like all other promoters. But by trying to support thefighters’ desire for additional testing, we are gettingcriticized.” (On Monday, I sent an email to Golden Boy asking if Schaefer would care to discuss the Hauser story and will publish his response if he chooses to do so. I also texted Mayweather's advisor Leonard Ellerbe to see if he wanted to weigh in, and hadn't heard back from him as yet.)
    Hauser particularly scrutinized Peterson's excuse that he suffered from low testosterone, and that's why he resorted to testosterone boosters, and Berto's public dismay that the case was handled unfairly, because it played out in the media, without explanations being offered why samples showed presence of a steroid. The writer noted Berto's plea that, "Nothing was really explained to the public" rings hollow, because Berto's own lawyer wouldn't allow the testing agency to release pertinent information. (I have found it strange, to say the least, that Berto hasn't publicly tracked the supplement which tainted his test, and shared with the press what that supplement was, if only to prevent other unfortunates from ingesting a banned substance unknowingly. If he has done so, I missed that move. Maybe there is a reason I can't summon why he hasn't outed that tainted supplement.)
    I reached out to a member of the Mayweather camp, David Levi. He told me, after I asked for a chat with Mayweather to get his take on the Hauser piece, "I don't think Floyd would bother commenting on a made up story. He's been testing for years and is the forefront of cleaning up the sport. The article makes it seem like the settlement was made because of some drug testing involving Floyd which is not the case at all."
    My take: the PED black cloud is depressing to me, and so many sports fans. Most of us hope that the magic we see these athletes perform comes from their superior skills, their talent, hard work and dedication, not sneaky chemists, and a flexible or nonexistent moral compass. This year's spate of positive tests has led me to wonder if the number of top boxers using is greater than the ones using. Is everyone dirty? Of course, some fans have already fallen into a zone of cynicism, assuming that they all cheat, and if they all cheat, then the playing field is even. Peterson, who demanded PED testing from Amir Khan, and Berto, who insinuated that Victor Ortiz was using after Ortiz beat him, if those guys tested positive, I wondered, who can be trusted? Could it be possible that people are so slick and cynical to on the one hand demand that the sport clean up its act, while on the other hand, are feeding themselves banned chemicals in order to build up their strength and/or stamina? That's the sort of odious and devious scheming I'd hope would be left to those in the upper reaches of politics...
    Say it ain't so. And if you don't mind, leave us a sample, just to be sure. Because it is hard to know who to believe in a saga that gets more sordid.
    Hauser promises Part II of the PED story tomorrow.

deepwater

Re: Boxing vs. PEDs

a lot of hearsay and nonsense. victor conte is a crook and a liar.

All information is usually incomplete in life but if there's one man in boxing who can get to the bottom of the hearsay and nonsense..it's none other than Thomas Hauser. He's got top notch access to the behind the scenes shenanigans. He details it like no other author in the sport. Anyhow, read this earlier this morning. Fascinating stuff. I think GBP's has been putting up some good fight cards lately but they're also very good at putting up a front like they been on the up and up and somehow we are to believe TOp Rank and Bod Arum are the only problematic promotional company. One has to be a fool and severallyl ill-informed to buy into such thoughts. Boy oh boy, I love this dysfunctional sport! Lmao

wow, floyd failed on three occasions, but especially not having a B test is the true concern....that just looks suspicious....
    i didnt ever suspect him of cheating and still dont but just the fact there was no B test is odd...

berto is a cheater for sure...

peterson is a cheater, if he had a medical condition which was legit he would have notified the commission ahead of time...

tarver, well i think anyone over 40 is entitled to trt due to the bodys natural decline in testosterone at that age......with proper commission licensed doctors and supervision of course...

deepwater

no one is pure and thats the way it has always been with boxing. whether its drinking in camp, smoking cigarettes like shane mosley does, weed after the gym. ive sparred a top pro and a piece of weed fell out of his damn hair. camacho used to do blow in camp. ever see what duran was doing at the after parties? chavez sr tsk tsk. the fighters from decades ago were even worse. now the new thing to be upset about is steroids or high testosterone. if you go to gnc and take testo boost powder do you get a fail test? vargas knocked out delahoya because of the roids, yeah right. show me a fighter on steroids and ill show you a fighter that is too bulky and slow . if ali was fighting a steroid cheat he would tell him to take more steroids! if that fool peterson couldnt get it up he should just drink a guiness with a raw egg and bamn.

Advanced Users

All RIGHTY!!! FINALLY, FINALLY, FINALLY! Right UP in the faces of Money May's nuthuggers. I've been posting in this Universe for going on three years that Lil' Floyd was juicin,' sippin,' and injectin' PEDs and roids, and getting that USADA crusader Travis Tygart -- the biggest fraud on the planet, and a big time nuthugger and fanboy of Money May -- to not see and to not report it for a large sum of moola from Team May, Money May and Fam May and company.

Bytches were taking the heat off themselves by straight-up using optical illusions on Money May's flunkies, fanboys, fanfaronades, fudgeheads and __ ___ ___! And the naive, Pachaters, Asian haters and know nothings will be going into depression and mass madness. Another one of their zeroes -- I mean heroes -- will bite da dust. "AND another one -- ANOTHER one BITES DA dust!" This is what goes down when jivebytches lust. The truth coming out about 'em MUST! Now who can you Yanks TRUST?

It's honesty time! It's Pinoy Time! It's PacTime!

Too LEGIT! Too legit to QUIT! Ha! Huh! Money May, ____ _____ and _____ ____ are "on dat sh*t," as Pops Joy May calls PEDs and roids. Holla!

Advanced Users

BTW! It doesn't matter. That syet does not give you talent and/or skills. In da game of whupa$$, it is simply a placebo effect. A weak mind needs something to believe in. I've seen fighters turn into monsters who thought syet was in 'em when dey @$$es were clean as whistles.

Boxing is full of con men selling sugar pills, sugar power, sugar water and ___ ___ __ to help get da win for a man of tin. Than again, you have trainers like the one who is in Juan Manuel Marquez's camp feeding Marquez PEDs and roids. And it will be to no avail. JMM's boat still won't be able to sail. On dat muthacrybaby, Da Manny's punches are going to rain like hail. Getting a win -- even with PEDs and roids -- JMM for the fourth time will fail. Holla!

Lmao at that classic rant.

Truthfully, the most shocking part of that Hauser piece is the absurd 100,000 fee to test two fighters. Unfuckingbelievable!Im thinking something else was paid for in that amount.
    Last edited by SouthPaul; 11-19-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Advanced Users

Nope, Editor Mike! The muthasuckas aren't exempt in bowling either. Since back in da day when bowling was a regular sport on ABC's Wide World of Sports, PEDs using was going on. Just holla at some of the oldtimers of that game. I won't snitch out anybody. But the rugrat Radam G recall a tennis superstar player, roller derby players and bowling stars juicing on coke and roids in green rooms before the start of televised competition.

Just knowing where to dig, you will find a goldmine of cheats laaaaiiiiiddd baaacccck! Cheatin' on roids and PEDs. Maybe pool players are exempt. Hehehe! Holla!
    Last edited by Radam G; 11-20-2012 at 12:32 AM.

So the story is still in the Rumor stage... same place it was when Hauser released it a year ago. Get a life dude.