English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HE LEFT NO DOUBT Trout Beats Cotto, Via UD, at MSG

HE LEFT NO DOUBT Trout Beats Cotto, Via UD, at MSG

Miguel Cotto picked the wrong opponent to fight in the main event at Madison Square Garden on Saturday night. That was pparent pretty early on, as he was a step behind, in foot speed and hand speed, and had difficulty cornering the slick mover Trout. By midway, Cotto's face started to swell up, and Trout, a legit 154 pounder, didn't wilt from the left hooks and too-few body shots from the Puerto Rican. After twelve rounds, we heard the verdict, and that confirmed what our eyes saw.
    Judge Byrd had 119-109, and Pturaj and Weisfeld saw it 117-111, for Trout, who told the world he needed a KO to insure the win, but actually just needed to box the way he did up till now to get the job done.
    The 37-3 hitter out of Caguas, PR was 153.6 on Friday, and the 25-0 New Mexico fighter Trout (age 27) was 154 after dropping trou.
    In the first, Cotto, age 32, ate a hard shot which maybe gave Trout the round. Trout moved, his feet and his torso, and was hard to hit in the second. Cotto ended the round with a bang but Trout's quick hands, jab, movement and mastery of the distance troubled him. Cotto tried to close the distance, walk trout down but the underdog is slippery. The PR fighter did land some left hooks in a tight round. In round five, Trout went low, and was warned. He backed up a ton and I wondered what the judges would think of that. Cotto landed the three best launches of the round, and had Trout coming to him. The sixth was tight, once again, but it looked like maybe the two hardest punches of the round were landed by Cotto in the sxith and seventh. Trout took the eighth, with smart movement and crisp launches. In the ninth, Cotto turned away, saying he was hit low. Trout worked harder in the round; could Cotto get a second wind? In the 10th, Trout impressed more but then Cotto comboed late. Did he steal the round, or make it even? In round 11, Trout looked fresher. Both men missed a bunch, but Trout trapped Miguel on the ropes and threw. Miguel landed at least two crisp counters. In the 12th, Cotto backed up too much. His face swollen, he sent the wrong message.
    Jayson Velez gave Puerto Ricans hope that a prospect will pan out as he blasted out overmatched Mexican Salvador Sanchez in 38 seconds elapsed of round three, by TKO, as the ref stopped the scrap. Sal, wearing his Uncle Salvador's trunks from his last fight before he died in a car accident in 1982, was never in it. He went down in the second and was not sturdy in the third. Velez, a Cotto Promotions boxer, won a feather crown.
    Danny Jacobs got rounds in and made fellow middleweight Chris Fitzpatrick quit after five rounds. Fitz was durable, and earned his check. Brooklyn's Jacobs, back after cancer nearly felled him last year, took his time, went lefty then righty, and cracked with the right hand. A cut opened on Fitzy's crown in the third but he moved enough and had a hard enough noggin to make it a couple more rounds. Jacobs said after he heard the boos and apologized for being patient. He will be back in the ring on the Feb. 9 show.
    Follow me on Twitter here https://twitter.com/#!/Woodsy1069.

Advanced Users

Re: HE LEFT NO DOUBT Trout Beats Cotto, Via UD, at MSG

Wow! A new fish is swimming. Holla!

I think I might be the only poster that picked Trout to win. There were some posters that were on the fence and said that he had a chance, but nobody else clearly stated that they predicted Trout to win by decision. As I previously stated in my earlier prediction, Trout was the better athlete and technician. His reach, size advantage, and "ice water vein" calmness/confidence carried the day. The Canelo management team should wisely stay clear of Trout. Please serve a big plate of CROW to Radam G and all the other posters that said Trout was going to get served like a plate of baked fish. Holla!

Brave Call DaveB...... spot on with your prediction. My vote for Cotto as more of a sympathy vote but I eat may crow with pride...hope Cotto can walk away..he looked like he got old out there tonight.
    Not to take away from the excellent effort by the fresher and highly skilled Trout.
    You see Canelo left the building before the post fight interview. He doesn't want none.
    And I don't believe it's because of Trout's relative lack of name recognition. Alvarez showed no shame when it came to fighting Josisito Lopez.

Kind of sad and Creepy watching Salvadore Sanchez's (RIP) nephew sporting tight 1970's style trunks and the famous Sanchez Fro...but none of his uncles skills ... the kid had no business being thrown in a title eliminator. I think Radam mentioned a few posts ago that the kid couldn't fight...what an accurate comment that was.

Advanced Users

Just a half of plate of crow. I did think that MC could win from the jump. But I guess that he is in a slump. He had no pump. And fought to low and in a hump. With that way of gettin' down, you can beat nobody's rump. And end up looking like the chump. Holla!

Quote Originally Posted by Shoulder Roll Defense View Post
    I think I might be the only poster that picked Trout to win. There were some posters that were on the fence and said that he had a chance, but nobody else clearly stated that they predicted Trout to win by decision. As I previously stated in my earlier prediction, Trout was the better athlete and technician. His reach, size advantage, and "ice water vein" calmness/confidence carried the day. The Canelo management team should wisely stay clear of Trout. Please serve a big plate of CROW to Radam G and all the other posters that said Trout was going to get served like a plate of baked fish. Holla!
    Good call SRD..... you and Dave B both chose Trout. Farewell Cotto we're gonna miss ya.. please don't embarrass yourself like the other fighters who don't know when to hang em up.

Cotto in done!! I was impressed with Trout but Canelo will fu$k Trout up.

SRD u hot fam I'm putting money on your next pick no BS

Thanks B-Sug. I'm never going to say anything bad about Cotto. He is one of the truly classy guys in boxing. I think he still can fight Canelo and it would be a fight the people would want to see. Cotto is like Holyfield, the guy is never in a bad fight. Alvarez/Cotto could be like when Margarito lost to Williams and the public still wanted to see Cotto vs. Margarito. I think Cotto lost tonight but he put out a good effort and only he can answer how much punishment he wants to take. There never seems to be an easy fight for him.

Canelo don't want to fight any one that technical....I bet they force Trout to fight Lara next.