English Español
Advertisement

Thread: Sergio Martinez To Fight Martin Murray on April 27

Sergio Martinez To Fight Martin Murray on April 27

New York, NY / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    (12/4/12) - It was officially announced last week that WBC Middleweight Champion Sergio "Maravilla" Martinez (50-2-2, 28KO's), who will be presented with his new belt this week at the WBC Convention in Cancun, will defend his title next against England's undefeated interim WBA Middleweight Champion Martin Murray (25-0-1, 11KO's) in Martinez' home country of Argentina. In a historic move, the event was announced by the President of Argentina, Cristina Kirchner and will be held on April 27. The bout will be broadcast on HBO's "World Championship Boxing".
    "I'm privileged and honored to take part in Argentinian history in the announcement of my homecoming fight in my homeland with President Cristina de Kirchnerand I want to thank my fans for supporting me throughout my career and I promise to give them a show they will be proud of on April 27," said Martinez.
    "On April 27, the great Sergio Martinez will defend his title against a worthy challenger in front of fifty thousand adoring Argentinians. This will be a historic night for middleweight boxing and I am thrilled to be Sergio's promoter and to be part of an event of this magnitude," said promoter Lou DiBella.
    "I am very honored to be a part of such a historic event," said Martinez' longtime advisor Sampson Lewkowicz. "This will be a very special night for me as this has been a dream and request of Sergio's to be able to defend his championship in front of all of his adoring fans in Argentina, the country that loves him so much for a long time."
    Never in the history of the sport has the President of a country made the official announcement of a fight as is the case with Martinez' upcoming bout. In addition to announcing the world championship bout, President Kirchner also revealed that the fight will be shown live on public TV Channel 7 in Argentina, allowing 40 million Argentinians to see their champion defend his title on free television.
    The bout will be Martinez' first in Argentina since February 2002, and his first since winning a dominant 12-round unanimous decision over previously undefeated Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., which was shown live on HBO PPV on September 15. Martinez is, in fact, undefeated in Argentina, winning 24 of 25 bouts, with one draw later avenged, since turning pro in 1997. He will look to continue that streak against Murray on April 27.
    The 30-year-old Murray, a native of the United Kingdom, is coming off a sixth-round TKO over previously undefeated Jorge Navarro on November 24. The lone blemish on Murray's record is a split decision draw to longtime reigning WBA Middleweight Champion Felix Sturm.

Advanced Users

Re: Sergio Martinez To Fight Martin Murray on April 27

WOW! I dooooooon't know what to say. Boo hoo! Wooopy! Holla!

Who in the ****$ is Martin Murray?

Seriously. Sergio bullshitting with it.
    Last edited by SouthPaul; 12-04-2012 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPaul View Post
    Seriously. Sergio bullshitting with it.
    Lmao!!!

deepwater

sergio feels entitled to fight a no hope tomatoe can in front of his hometown fans and super hot president. he will bring the engluish bum over there and make it look good. sergio will tell everyone what a tough foe muray is yada yada yada....why cant we have kutcher as a president??? at least she is hot and you can dream about her while she taxes you to death. obama smiles as he taxes me to death. the fiscal cliff is a slogan. news to you guys, we were over the cliff along time ago. as the corrupt government and their cronies print money out of thin air ,it adds to our money supply thus making current dollars less valuable. it takes more cheap dollars to buy the same goods. the debt is a huge problem but it is not much compared to the death of the us dollar.

Sergio is entitled to an easy fight in his country. He's going to be 38, he just came off surgery. Yeah Murray isn't the best opponent but he's not a bum either.