English EspaŮol
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garcia Takes Crown From Salido

Garcia Takes Crown From Salido

Mikey Garcia had his way with Orlando Salido, dropping him four times through four rounds, and it looked like he could do no wrong at the Madison Square Garden Theater on Saturday night. Salido tightened up a bit, and got a second wind. He had some moments in round seven and eight, but the plug got pulled when he butted Garcia's nose in the eighth. The doc said Garcia couldn't continue and we went to the cards.
    HBO televised in front of 4,850 fans.
    79-70, 790-69, 79-69
    In the first, Garcia scored a knockdown, off a left hook. He scored another, off a left hook, from further out, with ten seconds to go.
    In the second, Salido had better luck, in that he didnít go down, but his aggression wasnít super effective.
    In the third, Garcia got credit for another knockdown, with a right uppercut which made Salido use his left hand to keep standing.
    In the fourth, down went Salido yet again. This time it was a left jab, thrown backing up.
    In round five, he buckled Salido again and once again was master of range, tempo, everything.
    In the sixth, Salido had maybe his best round, as he didnít get dropped or buzzed badly. He energized the crowd in the seventh, with slightly more effective aggression. In the eighth, Garcia won but Salido was still peppy. They butted heads, and Salido mashed Mikey's nose. The docs said that Garcia couldn't continue.

Advanced Users

Re: Garcia Takes Crown From Salido

Half of those fans were Mikey G's peeps from Cali.

He straight up and down and sideway put a G whuppin' on Salido. Like I said. Mikey would be too much for the rushing in, too much telegraphing Salido.

Danggit! I saw Editor Mike's grill all up on my Manila Thrilla 150-inch television. Hehehe! Holla!

Go Mikey, We said patience!!!! ..did good good.!! but could of knock that fool out cold...IMO, when is homecoming party?

Thought I would see Garcia in a dog fight tonight but that didn't happen. I got to give Mikey his props he did his thang I would love to see him fight Gamboa at 130.
    Last edited by ali; 01-20-2013 at 02:20 AM.

How did you all score the Salido-garcia fight, I had it 79-69 at time of stoppage

Garcia really impressed me. Like Andre Ward, he doesn't dazzle with a lot of obvious performance skills - but is extremely precise, contained, calm, and effective, and controls and neutralizes his opponent. Unlike Ward, whose power is adequate, Garcia is a banger. I look forward to seeing lots more of this kid!

garcia is extremely composed, fundamental, accurate and well rounded... he made salido look like he has never been in a championship fight before...

not sure if salido showed a lot of deterioration and age or was just that out classed...

Garcia is a well rounded, disciplined fighter. He does remind me of Andre Ward in the sense that he takes tough opponents and makes them look easier to fight than they are. Salido is one tough fighter. I wanted to see the fight not end the way it did because it looked as though Salido was doing a little better with his rough house tactics. That is not to say I had it close by any stretch of my imagination. Garcia will never have that exciting flair but you have to take him for what his personality is and appreciate him for the well rounded fighter that he is. IMO a top ten P4Per. He also reminds me of Ricardo Lopez. He is an excellent fighter.

Advanced Users

Salido was OUTCLASSED, Amayseng. His chances were none and no way. And no way was on Mikey's side for that pay.

@DaveG -- I mean DaveB -- ditto DAT! "Finito" was probably bragging that Mikey was stealing his stuff. Ain't nuffin' to beatin' a sucka who's ruff.

@Fightscorecollector, my bias arse had it 80 to 69. Holla!
    Last edited by Radam G; 01-20-2013 at 02:56 PM.

Beautiful boxing by Garcia,.. Salido was coming on in the later rounds at a time when it seemed like he should be throwing in the towell. Not saying he was going to win the fight but I would have liked to have seen what Garcia had left in championship rounds. For now I'm going to assume he would have had enough in the tank to preserve his lead.