English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ARUM: "As Far As I'm Concerned, Showtime Doesn't Exist"

ARUM: "As Far As I'm Concerned, Showtime Doesn't Exist"

Promoter Bob Arum weighed in with TSS about the shocker shot across the bow sent by HBO, the news that HBO would not for the foreseeable future buy any fights put together by Golden Boy.
    "You have to understand that HBO has their own reasons for doing business with any outside entity, and why or why not they've elected to do I don't know. It's just speculation on my part but I'm happy we're a major supplier to HBO and if we deliver fights like last Saturday's Bradley-Provodnikov fight, we'll continue to be a major supplier. I can't shed any light on the specifics, I don't know the reason. But HBO making an announcement like this is very, very significant. I don't remember anything like this happening. I do remember companies refusing to do business with specific entities but..."
    So, what will the ramifications be for the fans? "I don't think there will be any ramifications for the fans," said Arum (seen above with Manny Pacquiao and Juan Ma Lopez in 2010, by Hogan Photos), before switching gears. "I think fans will get a better product on HBO than they have been getting. They won't be saddled with a lot of fights that make no sense. I'm sure HBO will have great, compelling fights and I'm sure Showtime will have some."
    So, is the door shut on Top Rank from bringing product to Showtime?
    "To be very honest nobody other than Golden Boy has provided fights to Showtime (recently)," Arum said. "As far as I'm concerned Showtime does not exist. We haven't done (a promotion) with Showtime since I think Salido-Juanma two year ago. It's not for lack of trying, they won't even take our calls or anybody elses."
    Note: I alerted Showtime about Arum's comments and they chose not to comment.

Re: ARUM: "As Far As I'm Concerned, Showtime Doesn't Exist"

Top Rank's fate was sealed the moment Stephen Espinoza was hired by Showtime. How sweet of a deal it turned out to be for Golden Boy Promotions to now have their ace attorney in charge of a major boxing distributor, and the same legal representative/consultant they used to battle Top Rank in court. I ain't feeling too sorry for Ol' Bob, not at all, but it's pretty obvious he and his company would have little to no options at Showtime under those circumstances .

Advanced Users

Wow! Da BobFather has gotten HBO the hook up to markets in Macau, Abu Dhabi and Singapore that will bring in five times the amount of moolah its been pulling in from stateside events.

Da BobFather and HBO have simply given GBP and ShowTime paper, and are taking glittering gold and the real bling-bling pay, babee! It looks like a money T-K-O! And Big Money O, GBP and ShowTime have been KTFO. Holla!

Personally I don't watch promoters,.. I watch the fighters. if the fights take yet another dip in quality, and quantity. I'll cut cable altogether... with HBO being the first to go and Showtime second. I had planned on cutting my cable bill in january but the promise of good fights kept me glued to tube up till now....(of course I must see Guerrero vs Mayweather)

But I'll let the fanboys argue over who the best promoter is..
    The argument is about as silly as the PS3 vs the XBOX wars that have thrived on the gaming sites for years. or the Ford vs Chevy debates in the 60's and 70's.

fans get caught up in the business side where they have no control over the decisions made and receive no revenue for soliciting their chosens' promoters propoganda ... while the Promoters thrive on the division they create between the fans of both providers.. it's so silly.

The division between the two largest promoters is just plain silly... it dimishes the amount of blockbuster fights we can watch. while alienating the casual fan even more. Boxing fans should vote with their cable dollars if they aren't being served.

Cool Re: ARUM: "As Far As I'm Concerned, Showtime Doesn't Exist"

The Espinoza influence and how it favours GB is interesting though. I mean in all reasonable probability, Jesus Christ probably couldn't have arranged a better chain of circumstances and outcome for Oscar and GB.
    Last edited by stormcentre; 03-19-2013 at 08:12 AM.

Amen brownsugar.

deepwater

Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post
    Wow! Da BobFather has gotten HBO the hook up to markets in Macau, Abu Dhabi and Singapore that will bring in five times the amount of moolah its been pulling in from stateside events.

Da BobFather and HBO have simply given GBP and ShowTime paper, and are taking glittering gold and the real bling-bling pay, babee! It looks like a money T-K-O! And Big Money O, GBP and ShowTime have been KTFO. Holla!
    Arum and his son Sheldon adelson know the USA is in economic turmoil. Oh yeah cash in all your savings accounts and 401k and 403b 's now ! It is starting in a small euro country and will spread like dominoes. Governments are now seizing bank accounts and skimming 10 % . Cyprus is the beginning. You are earning nothing in these accounts bring your cash home before it is seized. Arum plays chess that why is in the next booming market. I'm surprised the Swiss banker didn't foresee this but then again the Swiss are dealing with money laundering operations and missed the ball

Multi billionaires are dumping US stock in droves... and since the dollar is based on oil.. and the oil reserve is not what it claims to be , an energy crisis is looming which will cascade into a water crisis... between 2014 and 2015 the US will be in the most catastrophic financial period it has ever known..

I usually don't comment off anyone's political posts.. but this thing is starting to get too big to ignore.. I've been doing the research for a couple of month and am convinced it's no hoax. The pyramid of US economy is set to crash in a major way... hopefully the bank will go first and lose my credit records.

You could always skip the PPV ...catch the replay the following weekend ..... Then use the 60.00 to 70.00 to continue to subscribe to both boxing networks. Why waste all that cash on what's likely going to be a straight forward win for the obvious fighter? No offense meant, but following one fighter to one network, and scrapping the other is what fanboys are truly made of, my friend...

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    Personally I don't watch promoters,.. I watch the fighters. if the fights take yet another dip in quality, and quantity. I'll cut cable altogether... with HBO being the first to go and Showtime second. I had planned on cutting my cable bill in january but the promise of good fights kept me glued to tube up till now....(of course I must see Guerrero vs Mayweather)

But I'll let the fanboys argue over who the best promoter is..
    The argument is about as silly as the PS3 vs the XBOX wars that have thrived on the gaming sites for years. or the Ford vs Chevy debates in the 60's and 70's.

fans get caught up in the business side where they have no control over the decisions made and receive no revenue for soliciting their chosens' promoters propoganda ... while the Promoters thrive on the division they create between the fans of both providers.. it's so silly.

The division between the two largest promoters is just plain silly... it dimishes the amount of blockbuster fights we can watch. while alienating the casual fan even more. Boxing fans should vote with their cable dollars if they aren't being served.

Don't take my comments out of context SP ....I'm following the fighter of my choosing.. not signing an allegiance to GB or Arum. Their prosperity is not what I'm rooting for when I'm watching a fight.