English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stieglitz Regains Title From Abraham in Germany, Via TKO

Stieglitz Regains Title From Abraham in Germany, Via TKO

Arthur Abraham wanted to get the better of Robert Stieglitz once again, in a rematch of their fight from August of last year.
    Abraham took the WBO 168 pound title from Stieglitz, and they battled in Magdeburg, hometown to the Russian-born Stieglitz, on Saturday night, and on EPIX, in the Getec Arena.
    Stieglitz played the part of the power puncher, not his usual role, coming out banging. He buzzed Abraham in the second, had his left eye closing, and did the same in the third, as Abe held on for dear life. The doc looked hard at the eye, and pulled the plug on Abraham after the third. Stieglitz, winner via TKO4, emerged as a new player at 168 and could get some buzz as a potential foe for Andre Ward.
    "It was a good stoppage," said EPIX analyst-promoter Lou Dibella. Abraham is now on a slide, officially, Dibella said after.
    Abraham (36-3 with 28 KOs entering), a former middleweight titlist who was favored to win the Showtime Super Six tourney a few years ago, but washed out, said coming in that he's now comfortable at this weight class. The 33-year-old, born in Armenia, said that the 31-year-old Stieglitz (43-3 with 24 KOs entering) wouldn't have a home field advantage, as he'd have many fans coming from the Berlin area.
    Stieglitz came out winging in round one. He was busy and Abe had the earmuffs up. In round two, he hurt Abe, with a power right. In the third, Abe held on and his left eye was almost closed. He tried rabbit punches and had a point taken for it. The ref had the doc look at it after the round and pulled the plug. Stieglitz had his hand raised, as Abraham looked forlorn, his left eye totally closed.

Re: Stieglitz Regains Title From Abraham in Germany, Via TKO

Same old Abraham. He starts too slow and does nothing but put on the ear muffs and take a beating. Stieglitz really opened up and put it on him. Abraham has great power but it easily beatable. Stieglitz has some good opportunities ahead of him. Whether he will be able to capitalize upon them I'm not too sure.

Exactly daveB.

Good call storm!

Abraham has always been overrated..

I'm watching the fight now in between working out. No idea even had this channel till now. Lmfao. Most interesting thing I've seen and heard thus far...Lou Dibella saying he thinks Wladimir Klitschko is a top 5 all time best heavyweight. Hmmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by amayseng View Post
    Good call storm!
    Thanks Amayseng.

It wasn't hard. I just saw him in the middleweight tourney. Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by ali View Post
    Abraham has always been overrated..
    Classic example of a protected (Universum or other) German fighter-product.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPaul View Post
    I'm watching the fight now in between working out. No idea even had this channel till now. Lmfao. Most interesting thing I've seen and heard thus far...Lou Dibella saying he thinks Wladimir Klitschko is a top 5 all time best heavyweight. Hmmmm....
    Yes, poor old Lou. He is desperate for a star-fighter at the moment, and as a result has been saying some “interesting” things. But, yeh, sure; why not extend that logic (Lou) and just say he could go the distance and shame Frazier.

I mean he’s in the same class and an all time great isn’t he?

Hilarious!

One guy is a warrior that never, never said die, fought anyone/anytime, and always entertained. The other, . . . . well, let’s just leave it there shall we?