English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Straight "Most Fear Middleweight" Hype

Advanced Users

A Straight "Most Fear Middleweight" Hype

Golovkin is sitting on borrowed publicity. It does him well to fight has beens, walking corpses and marshmallows. Dude is a boksing dropshot if I ever saw one.

He reminds me of the so-labeled "Black Russian" Silly Willy-Nilly -- Flawed and hyped with a bunch of picture-taking moves. Just-in-name 3G's @ss will be lit up by a work-horse B-fighter sooner before later.

I'd like for J-i-n G to dance with Brian Vera. The Mex-Texan would take him to on-the-range-where-the-cattle roam and piston whup him and shoot him to boxing-game reality.

I'm out. I got biz with my son on location getting his movie gig on, then Tuesday we will be heading to China for The "Fists of God" debut and my boy the fighter formerly known as the Haiwaiian Punch. He is now "The Pinoy Punch." Holla!
    Last edited by Radam G; 03-31-2013 at 02:13 PM.

Re: A Straight "Most Fear Middleweight" Hype

The Brian Viloria to teach Tio Mamoy that fancy jump rope routine.

I agree GGG is a hype job but he would damn near kill BrianVera lol I think Froch and Kessler would beat him at 168 now if he was able to beat one of them guys I would lay off the hype job comments.

Frock who catches punches with his face? Who has the slowest damn feet in the world?
    I'm white and I'm embarrassed by how slow and non agile froch is.
    Froch who got out boxed by a ruined and washed up Taylor 10/12 round. ?
    The same froch that ward boxed in circles like a child?

Ggg would knock both froch and kessler out.

Froch is a fighter not a boxer an would try to out fight ggg
    And ggg would ko him in under 5.
    Kessler is shot.

Vera struggled on espn Friday.
    He's tough but doesn't stab a chance.

It's not all about ggg power.

He has the agility.
    Speed
    Tenacity
    And accuracy to destroy.

Quote Originally Posted by ali View Post
    I agree GGG is a hype job but he would damn near kill BrianVera lol I think Froch and Kessler would beat him at 168 now if he was able to beat one of them guys I would lay off the hype job comments.
    He's a hype job because the top names at 168 would - in your opinion - beat him? Well, essentially being a 154, I'd say you're hyping him too, ali.

Sure, we can debate the names on his resume - but the namebuilding business aint always the same as the boxing business, and a look or two at Golovkin says he's a composed, poised powerpuncher with the right mental attributes. No matter how these hypothetic fights go, fact is Golovkin's been calling them all out - and not too many are answering, are they?

At the end of the day, the buzz is about the industry building a foundation for a future without the superstars that never met. A void was waiting. Then, suddeny, along came an assassin from the east, riding into town with two fists and a Alfred E. Neuman-smile. What's not to be excited about?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
    He's a hype job because the top names at 168 would - in your opinion - beat him? Well, essentially being a 154, I'd say you're hyping him too, ali.

Sure, we can debate the names on his resume - but the namebuilding business aint always the same as the boxing business, and a look or two at Golovkin says he's a composed, poised powerpuncher with the right mental attributes. No matter how these hypothetic fights go, fact is Golovkin's been calling them all out - and not too many are answering, are they?

At the end of the day, the buzz is about the industry building a foundation for a future without the superstars that never met. A void was waiting. Then, suddeny, along came an assassin from the east, riding into town with two fists and a Alfred E. Neuman-smile. What's not to be excited about?
    Wow, I can't believe he just said "Alfred E Newman". the former Mad Magazine personna,
    and there is good resemblance. LOL....
    However he stops being funny after the first bell.

I disagree with you on this one RG,...... As Far as Sillakh is concerned, he's still an excellent boxer, but it still remains to be seen if he can regain his confidence 100%.
    One of the worst things to hear a fighter say is " I didn't get Knocked-out this time ".....(like Jermaine Taylor was known to say often)....Not that Sillakh ever spoke those words,...... but some fighters focus is on surviving the KO rather than winning the fight and it can become a self fulfilling prophecy... Sillakh just won against a rugged opponent in the cruiserweight division, where he can let his long lean body fill out naturally.. If he can slowly rebuild,... I think he'll be fine and he'll be making noise again within 16 months or less.

Also you're very incorrect about Golovkin, aside from his stellar amateur career, GGG has been a pro since 2006.
    that's 7 long years to make the amateur-to-pro transition.
    GGG is not a flash-in-the-pan newcomer who just errupted on the boxing scene from nowhere.
    Like Andre Ward who turned pro in 2004 (9 years ago), GGG took time to become acclimated to the business and incubate sound fundamentals while incorporating his physical gifts.
    GGG is no fluke,... no accident,... no wet-behind-the-ears newcomer to the game.

he's sparred some of the best professional fighters in the best gyms worldwide... in the United States and abroad.

GGG's so-called-hype is the culmination of a 2 year assault on the middleweight division.
    GGG has made a whopping 6 defences of his middleweight title already.
    Please be advised that Golovkins seemingly sudden 15 minutes of fame didn't emerge as a result of a twitter post or a couple of YouTube videos... this guy is for real,.. and he's paid his dues for the accolades he's receiving today.

Don't feel bad,.. a lot of folks missed the GGG revolution.
    Arguably one of the best active fighters in the business today. (I believe people will speak the name of GGG in the same breath of fighters like Duran, Hagler and Sugar Ray Leonard,.. and even the great Ray Robinson). Debates will sure rage for decades about how he would have competed with the Golden-Age fighters after he's done.
    But today we get to witness the corronation of a NEW Boxing SuperStar.
    Be glad for this because it's simply a privilege to watch the man work.

Radam put down the "hatorade" !!

Quote Originally Posted by ali View Post

Hey Ali,

If you're talking about the same Brian Vera that only recently put Serhiy Dzinziruk down in the 1st and 10th rounds and then went on to TKO him in that same round for a spectacular underdog WBO Middleweight title win . . . . . . .

The same guy that also, just a few days ago, TKO'd (retired) Donatas Bondorovas (who himself was just coming off of a good (not brilliant, but "good") winning and KO streak) in seven rounds to defend the WBO Middleweight title . . . . .

Then I would like to see that fight at a Middleweight, weight, of around 160 and in a fight where Vera has been given enough time and incentive to properly prepare.

There is no doubt in my mind that the thought has crossed GGG, Sanchez and also his astute management team's mind that such a unification bout would sell and be good for boxing; but for reasons stated previously (see below link) I am sure it is no accident they haven't tried to set it up. Not in the least as Vera, at the moment, has all the hallmarks of a dangerous Eastern Block wrecking machine - particularly when he is in shape.

Dzinziruk - who had more than 210 amateur fights, won almost 90% of them and was awarded a silver medal in one of the amateur world championships if my memory serves me correctly - is a Ukrainian and he is/was certainly not an incompetent professional when the limited Vera fought him. As (save for his Martinez fight) Dzinziruk had never professionally lost before, never been down or touched the canvass; until he fought Vera.

Vera is the classic underestimated tough underdog with almost limitless punch resistance, particularly whilst not fatigued. Most of Vera's fights, he appears to have simply treated them with little more respect than a night out with the boys - except perhaps with the boxing events the change is that the fight was guaranteed to happen and didn't involve any provocation and/or bravado on anyone's part.

However, when Vera thinks, trains and seriously gets up for the fights, he can really surprise some. In fact on more than one few occasion he has shown that his 5 or so losses are not necessarily an indicator of who will turn up or what his opponents will get. This is because, for all his limitations, Vera can be taught and he possesses qualities that can't be taught; like toughness and that killing instinct. Furthermore, Brian is unfazed about risks or pain, and when those characteristics are guided by a corner that can objectively and strategically think Vera can be much more than some bargain for.

For instance he blew Any Lee's mind when Lee underestimated him, and along with it surprised Emmanuel Steward whom (I think) was training Lee at the time.

And the same goes for Dzinziruk; as he and his team thought they were making a (relatively) straight forward foray for the WBO Middleweight title with someone that was pretty much a tough, limited, predictable and inconsistent gatekeeper.

Such thoughts are as self-ridiculing as they are the embodiment of underestimating the underdog; particularly when you lose.

What can perhaps be learned from all this is; if Dzinziruk, Mora, Codrington and Lee physically have trouble with and/or go down to Vera - who by the way is still one dimensional but has a great set of whiskers, dangerous power and is not easily deterred - then GGG will find himself thinking a little bit more about defence than he usually does if he gets in there with Vera.

And I should imagine that the thoughts of Vera troubling Steward are not too far from Sanchez's mind either. That's why he's looking at walking 3G into fights as a Middleweight, against opposition that is really climbing up through the ropes as Junior Middleweight meat with the deck stacked heavily against them being able to knock out most reasonable Middleweights; let alone a murderous puncher like Golovkin.

Is it fair?

Is life or boxing fair?

One thing though, it certainly doesn't mean that Golovkin is running to match up with Vera. And, even though *Ishida is not and never was, Vera is just the type of guy that can hurt Gennady at this current stage, even if he doesn't beat him. Not in the least as Vera is not intimidated - not even when he should be. And there are no intricate moving parts to his boxing machinery that might get forgotten when he is pressured, tired or not focusing.

Finally, it's not like Golovkin's entire strategy and style is not dependent upon being able to walk through punches; as much as it is open and vulnerable to hard looping right cross. Which, is Vera's bread and butter.

* http://www.thesweetscience.com/forum...ll=1#post27754
    Last edited by stormcentre; 04-01-2013 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    I disagree with you on this one RG,...... As Far as Sillakh is concerned, he's still an excellent boxer, but it still remains to be seen if he can regain his confidence 100%.
    One of the worst things to hear a fighter say is " I didn't get Knocked-out this time ".....(like Jermaine Taylor was known to say often)....Not that Sillakh ever spoke those words,...... but some fighters focus is on surviving the KO rather than winning the fight and it can become a self fulfilling prophecy... Sillakh just won against a rugged opponent in the cruiserweight division, where he can let his long lean body fill out naturally.. If he can slowly rebuild,... I think he'll be fine and he'll be making noise again within 16 months or less.

Also you're very incorrect about Golovkin, aside from his stellar amateur career, GGG has been a pro since 2006.
    that's 7 long years to make the amateur-to-pro transition.
    GGG is not a flash-in-the-pan newcomer who just errupted on the boxing scene from nowhere.
    Like Andre Ward who turned pro in 2004 (9 years ago), GGG took time to become acclimated to the business and incubate sound fundamentals while incorporating his physical gifts.
    GGG is no fluke,... no accident,... no wet-behind-the-ears newcomer to the game.

he's sparred some of the best professional fighters in the best gyms worldwide... in the United States and abroad.

GGG's so-called-hype is the culmination of a 2 year assault on the middleweight division.
    GGG has made a whopping 6 defences of his middleweight title already.
    Please be advised that Golovkins seemingly sudden 15 minutes of fame didn't emerge as a result of a twitter post or a couple of YouTube videos... this guy is for real,.. and he's paid his dues for the accolades he's receiving today.

Don't feel bad,.. a lot of folks missed the GGG revolution.
    Arguably one of the best active fighters in the business today. (I believe people will speak the name of GGG in the same breath of fighters like Duran, Hagler and Sugar Ray Leonard,.. and even the great Ray Robinson). Debates will sure rage for decades about how he would have competed with the Golden-Age fighters after he's done.
    But today we get to witness the corronation of a NEW Boxing SuperStar.
    Be glad for this because it's simply a privilege to watch the man work.

Yes, notwithstanding my other/earlier posts, GGG is real.

And he does deserve most of the accolades he is currently getting. The guy has seriously exposed many, many top level fighters whilst simply sparring them in USA and other gyms. Some of those whom have been exposed or embarrassed are champions or in contention, and some are several weight divisions above him.

3G's amateur record is absolutely astounding, and he has a style that is hard to acclimatise to. The guy has the uncanny ability to turn fights around; the sign of real greatness. Plus he knows how to set up knockouts.

Furthermore, the guy lives and trains where the air is thin, and is always ready for a fight or to be someone's sparring partner if they have a title or other fight coming up.

When was the last time anyone heard of a guy like that?

So, you better be good if you're going to fight him.

However, right now his management team are making sure he fights guys that have much less chance of beating him than the promotions would have us believe. I have written about that elsewhere.

Perhaps what his management are doing is a good thing. After all boxing is this guy's whole life and he doesn't just want to fade away after an unexpected loss.

Finally, perhaps what his management are doing is a good thing also, because the fact of the matter is that Gennady still has some issues he needs to sort out; both before he becomes as good as he can and is ready to take bigger risks, and as he transitions from the amateur style to the professional style whilst in with top level competition.

He is not complete yet, and he could fight better opposition and probably win. But right now he and his management team don't want him to.

We will know in 2 years time if that is the right choice.
    Last edited by stormcentre; 04-01-2013 at 12:05 AM.