English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ROACH: Provodnikov To Spar Pacquiao, Ruslan Possibly In The Mayweather Mix

ROACH: Provodnikov To Spar Pacquiao, Ruslan Possibly In The Mayweather Mix

Freddie Roach is by no means thinking that Brandon Rios, because he's a come-forward guy, and isn't the counter-punching ace that Juan Manuel Marquez is, will be a tailor-made "W" for his guy Manny Pacquiao. Roach knows full well that Manny is no spring chicken, that he turns 35 in December and the finish line is near. But Roach isn't going to coddle the Congressman, take it easy on him, structure a camp where Manny is the boss and the opportunity to rest is of paramount import. No, Roach told me, he will be insuring that Pacquiao is as ready to rock Nov. 23 against Rios in Macau as fate will allow.
    Five-time BWAA trainer-of-the-year Roach (seen conferring with Pacman, in Chris Farina-Top Rank photo) said he will run camp in General Santos City, Phillipines, in pretty close proximity to Macau, and will import a badass hitter to push Manny, in Ruslan Provodnikov. You'll recall that Provodnikov was dismissed by many "smarts" as a mere speedbump for Timothy Bradley, and while the judges gave Bradley the nod when he and Ruslan clashed on March 16, I thought that the ending perhaps should have been different if the arbiters were more free with 10-8 rounds.
    Roach trains Provodnikov, and he and Pacquiao have become pals, but that doesn't mean they won't push each other to the limits in camp. Provodnikov, Roach told me, is keen to stay sharp, because he wants to secure a meaningful bout in the near future. Any hints on what that faceoff might be, Freddie?
    "I've heard around town that Mayweather might want Ruslan as his next opponent, on September fourteenth," Roach told me. "That would be a hard fight to turn down. Against Floyd, I think Ruslan would have a puncher's chance. It would be a big payday, and he's got his family to take care of for the rest of his life."
    Roach said Team Provodnikov, which includes promoter Art Pellulo, would be mulling options. He said that Top Rank does have options on Provodnikov, stemming from the Bradley fight, but thinks that a deal could be worked out between all parties if things progress, and Floyd decides Provodnikov is a good dance partner.
    Your thoughts, readers? I do think Provodnikov would be more likely to go balls out, even if that meant leaving himself open to being countered harshly, than Guerrero did, against Mayweather. What say you?

deepwater

Re: ROACH: Provodnikov To Spar Pacquiao, Ruslan Possibly In The Mayweather Mix

good sparring. ruslan would be a bloody pulp by 5 th round against mayweather. mayweather vs red head

Advanced Users

YUP! Money May is fighting bums of his five-fight deal, 30-month pay. And the suckas born every minute will keep up the attendance and eyeballs-behind-those-ppv pay. Holla!

Seriously lol? C'mon I'd rather see Zab, "Queen Chin" Khan, Alexander fight Mayweather. The promotion won't be too hard but the compelling argument as to why he's a worthy opponent? CANELO or MARTINEZ. But let's not get too angry now, nothing is official; just he say she say

I wonder what showtime is got to say to that, with the guaranteed pay for Mayweather and the pay per view numbers from this past weekend. And now Money May Fighting a Siberian Eskimo,that nobody know outside his remote ice village. that won't sell!!. CBS is gonna lose their @ss. LOL. How about showtime puts some pressure on the money team and makes him fight Pacman... Canelo...Martinez..Trout, Possible none of these guy's could beat him, But showtime would sell more PPV and they would make Money May work for his money. Haymon is gonna turn this into Ponzi. IMO

Ruslan should have gotten the win against Bradley.

10-8 rounds were not scored correctly.

Having said that he isn't good enough to compete with Floyd.

Once again no foot speed or agility.

PAC has that foot agility and overall speed to stay with Floyd.

JLC had above average foot speed and had success fight one.

Does no one remember rocky 3?

Appollo said it right, gotta get some speed.

That's what the ghost should have been working on.

The agility ladder and running back drills.

Did he? Nope.

I don't believe Floyd-Ruslan PPV for one second. Roach just talking.

Come on guys ain't no way in hell Floyd is fighting Ruslan Roach is flat out lying he's too old to be doing that sh!t.

A fully healed Martinez has the best chance to pull the upset